Why do you use the online name that you use?

great online name, questioningperson!

Questioningperson, I really like your online name! Your post made me think of a passage that's often quoted in stuff I read (in the field of philosophy) - I thought I'd share it, just in case it rings a bell. It may not be what you're remembering, because the force of it is a bit different from what you described, but in any case, here it is:

"You are so young, so much before all beginning, and I would like to beg you, dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Don't search for answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

The passage is from a book by Rainer Maria Rilke called Letters to a Young Poet. It's from Letter #4.

Just for fun, I'll set out another passage, a passage that I came across (in Letter #7) as I was browsing around in the book. It's a passage that seems pertinent in relation to this forum:

"It is also good to love: because love is difficult. For one human being to love another human being: that is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation."

Anyway, questioningperson, as I said, I think that your online name is terrific.

For what it's worth, I chose my online name, "Snowbunting", because snow buntings remind me of the area around Churchill, MB, one of my favorite places on Earth. And snow buntings (from what I've observed, at least during the fall) tend to hang out in groups - each individual is naturally part of a network, and the network is itself a really beautiful, dynamic, ever-changing whole.

Cheers,
SB

Questioningperson, I really like your online name! Your post made me think of a passage that's often quoted in stuff I read (in the field of philosophy) - I thought I'd share it, just in case it rings a bell. It may not be what you're remembering, because the force of it is a bit different from what you described, but in any case, here it is:

"You are so young, so much before all beginning, and I would like to beg you, dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Don't search for answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

The passage is from a book by Rainer Maria Rilke called Letters to a Young Poet. It's from Letter #4.

Just for fun, I'll set out another passage, a passage that I came across (in Letter #7) as I was browsing around in the book. It's a passage that seems pertinent in relation to this forum:

"It is also good to love: because love is difficult. For one human being to love another human being: that is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation."

Anyway, questioningperson, as I said, I think that your online name is terrific.

For what it's worth, I chose my online name, "Snowbunting", because snow buntings remind me of the area around Churchill, MB, one of my favorite places on Earth. And snow buntings (from what I've observed, at least during the fall) tend to hang out in groups - each individual is naturally part of a network, and the network is itself a really beautiful, dynamic, ever-changing whole.

Cheers,
SB
Thank you so much for those passages I really liked them alot especially the first one it definetly rang some bells for me. I also think that your username is awesome as well and very unique also and it has such a great meaning as well.

User name

A forgetful bug eater. That is awesome!

I wish I could say I had some intriguing story for my screen nick. I usually go with "girlzone", a lyric from a Tori Amos song (Caught A Light Sneeze), but I guess I had Buffy on the brain, and "girlpatrol" came out.

Not that Buffy isn't also awesome.

Well after reading everyones post I had to get involved.. First of all I love Tori Amos and Buffy so thanks girlpatrol for the great user name. My favorite song is Silent all these years by Tori.

Anyways. I am Lost. I have been Lost since I started playing on the internet when I was young. My Girl is Rane. And we build the acct so both of us could read and talk with everyone.

Lost

The morning twilight, as seen from our house, is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. If you catch it from the beginning, the sky is an inky blue-black, and the moon is still up. There's a deep crimson glow on the horizon, and as you stand quietly and watch, it swells to form a beautiful red/crimson/purple/inky blue transition.

Then the sun rises and it's gone until the next day.

I almost never get to see it, unless I happen to have been up all night.

i think my screen name is self explanitory :) we are a couple, we are married, we enjoy the physical company of other couples, and since we are here, we are obviously interested in the emotional company of other couples as well... lol

"swing is to poly as college is to mono"

I can't say where the exact idea came from. it just popped into my head one day. I was in a band for a while and used the name. one day I thought about it and it fit my life. transit- to go somewhere, apparent- obvious.
I grew up in a military family and I'm military now so obviously I'm gonna go somewhere.

naughty is the first half of my derby name, and its the name i sign the most... so i figured i would use that :)

I almost used my standard name here, but it's fairly closely related to my real identity, and I use it as a stage name/pseudonym for anything I do musically, or really anything where I don't have to use my legal name. I'm fairly open about who I am, but I decided to maintain some level of anonymity here; more to protect the people I talk about rather than myself.

The name I'm using here is the first name of the main character in a novel I'm probably never going to finish writing. I have used the name elsewhere, and some people might recognize it, but those that would probably know about everything I would ever post here anyway. On the off chance that the wrong people recognize the name, there's still enough room for plausible deniability.

Easy enough. Our marriage is open, my name begins with B, and hubbies begins with J. It just so happens to work out to be kinda sexually funny as well. ;)

My name comes from the moniker I use in my Non Profit Org. It is a name that is made up to be used as a character for a blog that goes along with my Org. It actually has to do with superman but with it just being CLariceK and not the entire name I use on FB (because that would just be too easy to match up from the org to here which is why I would never mention it here so as to not have it ever show up in a google search) I am not open on FB because of this. It makes me quite sad that I am "friends" with SluttyUnicorn but cannot post openly how much I love her. My marital status on FB is "its complicated" as is "DaJoshy's"

I appreciate this forum because here I AM able to post about my love for her and about our family instead of her having to be a "friend" who moved in with us.

hi dears!

in the dialect of my country of origin (north of italy, very close to milan) my nick means cloud;

shortly: i gave this nick to myself many years ago and after some months i realized that the name was the translation of molnia in swedish that was the name that my two closest friends choosed as their marrying surname. after some other months i spoke to one of them and knew then that they did split and only she kept the surname while he changed it; i knew also that they splitted completed, phisically, in the month i gave myself my nick.

aehm..
hope it was not so boring..:eek:

My nickname is part of my Witches name - Teiksma Līgo. In latvian "Teiksma" means something like - legend or myth, witch is beautiful and maybe even true :) Līgo - this site didn't alowed me to use both - it is a word, witch latvians use in summer solstice in songs, it reprezents all summer green force. Teiksma I have chosen because of my lifestile - I want to live like in a myth, and I write fantasy books and stories. Līgo - it is of my real name - Līga, witch is variation of Līgo.
It was realy interesnting to read this discussion - funny and nice :) Thank you :)

Allstar- Baseball winter workouts and tryouts fell in the last month of the wrestling season if we were still in the state tournament (which we were). So every year for tryouts I would be in peak shape. We would do our runs or whatever and I would only perform at my best because I wasn't anyones favorite. Everyone started calling me Allstar. It kept up throughout all the years of school because I usually do perform at the top of my ability.

leannahope is what I wanted to name my daughter when I was a little girl....I just love the name, so I use it whenever I can.

Honestly, just something that came to mind, I use other usernames on different sites, but none were appropriate in what I consider to be polite company.:D

Honestly? I'm not very good coming up with these things and usually just use my middle name (the name I prefer to go by). My name is also Hawaiian. I am part Hawaiian, and wanted my user name to be Hawaiian. However, I figure this site is all about the aloha, so why not?

Back