Attachment in Polyamorous Relationship Satisfaction

Jaco3617

Hello!

I am a student researcher in a doctoral program in clinical psychology.

Please support poly research in psychology by participating in this survey and sharing this link.

You are invited to participate in IRB-approved online survey (IRB# 762538-2) examining the relationship between relationship satisfaction and attachment style in polyamorous relationships.

The survey should take approximately 15 - 20 minutes to complete.

To access the survey please go to: https://pacificu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bIu3jcXXgfvP7pP

If you have any questions please contact the principal investigator, Esther Jacobs, at [email protected].

Thank you for your participation!

Sincerely,
Esther Jacobs

Okay, I have taken the survey. I estimate it took me about 25 minutes. A few of the questions (and/or answers to choose from) were a little confusing. I did not mind answering any of the questions.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I started to take this survey, then stopped. I felt it assumed the partner I spent the most time with was my primary partner. I also felt the questions were too general and my answers wohld not make sense without clarification. I reached the conclusion that the survey is not very scientific.

I completed the survey and gave them that exact feedback when they asked at the end if I had any comments about the survey itself--I felt the questions assumed a lot by asking about only my "primary" partner and not my other partners.

In good news, research tends to make people less ignorant. The more "on the radar" poly is and the more people actually talk about it, the less ignorant people will be. That's my hope, anyway, and I'm sticking to it!

Yeah, better a flawed survey than no survey, at least that's how I looked at it.

Why do so many researchers get this stupid idea that all poly people subscribe to a hierarchy and designate one of their loves as "primary?!" It's so very frustrating!!!

A big ol' ditto on that! Total agreement.

Surveys should err on the side of the fewest possible assumptions about those being surveyed. They almost always presume far too much -- and thus overly restrict the information they are ostensibly gathering.

It is completely appropriate to tell the makers of the survey that they are clueless and should begin again fresh with fewer constricting assumptions.

Yeah, better a flawed survey than no survey, at least that's how I looked at it.

I completely disagree. Badly flawed surveys result in misleading, deceptive and inaccurate (false!) information -- which is worse than no information at all.

I completely disagree. Badly flawed surveys result in misleading, deceptive and inaccurate (false!) information -- which is worse than no information at all.

I agree, which is why I didn't continue. I do think it's fine for people who are in that sort of relationship to answer.

I think that's why they have a "comments" box for you to fill. If you just stop answering, they won't know you exist. If you fill the survey, skip questions that are unanswerable, if any (I don't have a hierarchical relationship, but my answer to pretty much all the questions would be the same for any partner so I had no trouble answering, for instance), and then explain in the comments box what the failings of the survey are, then the researchers get to know that you exist, and they can even see how common it is by how many people leave such a comment.

Which is why I agree that a survey is better than no survey (if, like this one, it provides you with the ability to skip any question you want, and with a comment box).

Good point Tonberry.

Spreading true information about polyamory is going to be a messy process. Polyamorists often don't even agree with each other about what the true information is.

I think that's why they have a "comments" box for you to fill. If you just stop answering, they won't know you exist. If you fill the survey, skip questions that are unanswerable, if any (I don't have a hierarchical relationship, but my answer to pretty much all the questions would be the same for any partner so I had no trouble answering, for instance), and then explain in the comments box what the failings of the survey are, then the researchers get to know that you exist, and they can even see how common it is by how many people leave such a comment.

Which is why I agree that a survey is better than no survey (if, like this one, it provides you with the ability to skip any question you want, and with a comment box).

I didn't realize there was a comment box. I went ahead and filled it out.

I did it. A bit clunky in style but used the comments box to spread the word about Poly meaning more than one love. Shame they focused on the "primary" partner model.

Back