Is Hugh Hefner poly?

CielDuMatin

Some thoughts sprang up for me from another thread.

Is Hugh Hefner poly? He has long-term relationships with many girls, who all know about each other and agree to the relationship style.

Is his style of relationship responsible non-monogamy?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from others first.

I can't Boring. Lol. I just can't. Giggle!
I don't have enough info to really comment on Hugh's dynamic. But, Im surprised how few ppl have responded. :)

*off topic

Ciel- I would love ur thoughts on my thread about metamours.

But, Im surprised how few ppl have responded. :)

I know, right! This should really be the last thing we all think about before falling asleep and the first thing we think about when we wake up EVERY DAY.

I'm surprised there already isn't a thread about this in Golden Nuggets.

I'm adding tags so people can find this easier for future reference.

LOL! Naw, I don't think its important.

But-I think there are too many threads on here that someone thinks ARE important-when in fact, most of it is trivia.

We all need to take a break and ponder the unremarkably unimportant shit-take a break from serious shit all of the time. :)

Nice to see your normal level of snide hostility, BoringGuy! :rolleyes:

Since nobody else has really posted anything serious on this topic, let me give you my opinion, for what it's worth...

I have witnessed during polyamory discussions a strong desire to distinguish polyamory from the stereotypes of polygamy and swinging. I have been guilty of doing the same. As a consequence, a strong emphasis has been put on the egalitarian style of poly, to the point where when someone comes on talking about imbalanced structures, we either dismiss them, mock them, or direct them to a different forum. There have been several recent examples of this.

I brought up the example of Hefner because it is a classic example of an imbalanced structure which has, apparently, worked well for those involved. Based on my understanding it *is* polyamory, by all the common definitions, and I think we need to acknowledge that and not be quite so dismissive.

I strongly prefer the egalitarian model of relationships - what I seek for myself. But I think that there are many other types of polyamory which work for those involved - everyone gets what they are looking for and are happy. I feel that just because *we* wouldn't be happy in that circumstance doesn't give us the right to mock and denigrate those who happen to think differently.

So my question was very serious.

Yes he is.

And one lucky son of a gun too.

Just Me,
Tim

You know very little about my "normal" levels of hostility or anything else.

So my question was very serious.

I beg for your forgiveness (but not really). I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this was a joke.

I don't really care?

I figure if they all are free agents who have happily signed up for the deal -- then it's their brand of polyamory.

*shrug*

So long as they are happy with the arrangement -- who is to say boo? It's not what I want for myself in polyship, but so what? It's not me in there.

GG

Last edited:
Yes i think he's poly.

But i can understand why a lot of people who live more 'normal' (aka less plastic :p) poly lives would want to distance themselves from him.
Admittedly, i hadn't really thought of him when i thought of poly, because to me, poly is more about love than sex - and his set up seems more set up on sex than love. That said, i'm sure most of hollywood is set up around sex rather than love so he's certainly not unique there, just more flamboyant about it.

It wouldn't work for me - but that's because we have a bit of a matriarch thing going in our home, so the patriachal set up doesn't work for me [no one tell our boy though - he's covinced he's hugh :p ]

I have my doubts about the quantity of love (for people) involved in his relationships. I suspect love of money and/or fame has more to do with it.

I honestly have no idea. No tv, no radio, no info outside of who he is and what I have read here.

But, I agree that ppl wanting set uos which aren't for me doesn't make the setup not poly.

For example-Nycindie has a totally different set up than we do. But completely functional for her. Shrug.

I dont care who does what outside of my 'polyship'. Lol. Shared that term with my sister today (she's also poly). She liked it. So we are adding it to our working vocab! :)

Old Hugh really likes the harem model. I think he demands exclusivity to him. A ....one very old limp dick policy. Opp=Ovolpp. So in his case poly would be short for polygamy.

Thanks to most of you for your constructive input - looks like we are on the same page with this.

A Public Service Announcement

I thought this thread was a joke when I first saw it. If it weren't for your history here, I would have suspected trollery.

Here's the thing: when you post here, folks are going to react in all sorts of ways to what you offer up. Some of them will comment. Some of them will joke about it, which is OK if it doesn't completely jack the thread.

We simply require a basic level of civility on the part of posters and otherwise allow them to react how they will. We don't promise that you'll like everybody here or what they have to say or how they go about saying it.

So, if you post something that others think amusing or silly or some other form of Not Serious, it only follows that some of them may comment to that effect. That's part of public discourse. As long as they're not calling you names and the like, we won't have much issue with it (though we are likely to watch those threads more closely).

Note: I posted this as a reminder to everybody, actually, and just used this thread as a soapbox. Where I say "you," I'm referring to everybody.

Since poly seems to be an self identity thing I think you'd really have to ask him if he considers himself poly. Personally I wonder if he just does it to maintain an image. I don't know how emotionally involved he is with his girlfriends since it seems that they get to a certain age and they're out the door. Normally one doesn't break up with someone they love for getting older.

I thought this thread was a joke when I first saw it. If it weren't for your history here, I would have suspected trollery.
I hope that you see now how it was a quite serious question that was raising a point how we, on this board, think about polyamory, especially the types that differ from the norm.

And I hope you noticed the smiley after my statement that you quoted...

It didn't surprise me that folks didn't take it seriously and made jokes about it.

If Hefner were to come on here as an alias and tlak about his situation, would he get respect or mocked mercilessly? I fear the latter.

Poor hugh hefner. Oppressed, marginalized, misunderstood AND rejected by the privileged community that is polyamory.com.

I'm getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Back