Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Article: Why Do We Think Polyamory Is Only for the Rich, White and Privileged?

I found this to be a fairly interesting article on the subject that matches some of my own observations. The following quote by sex therapist and non-monogamy expert Gina Senarighi was pertinent:

Quote:
In the 12 years shes been working with CNM populations, she says shes seen clients from all levels of income, class and privilege. Ive seen CEOs, politicians, celebrities, judges, lawyers, sex workers and entrepreneurs making six and seven figure incomes, and Ive worked with baristas, students, social workers and many others living on minimum wage and/or benefits, she explains. Its a total myth that CNM folks are white from a higher SES (socio-economic status). Often, she says, that myth is informed by the stereotypes we hold about what non-monogamy looks like and our ignorance of how low SES people and POC (People of Color) might express non-monogamy in ways were not used to hearing about.
Why Do We Think Polyamory Is Only for the Rich, White and Privileged?
by Isabaelle Kohn

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...and-privileged
Bouncingbetty: ldr girlfriend to Al99, poly, pansexual female, mid 30's
Jill: local fwb to Al99, heterosexual female, early 50's.
Sam: Becky's boyfriend, heterosexual male, 50's.
Ben: Becky's long time friend and former partner, heterosexual male, 40's

My Introductory Post - An Unexpected Introduction to Poly.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Official Greeter

More thoughts on this can be found in Polyamory and Ethnicity ... and in the book "The Polyamorists Next Door: inside multiple-partner relationships and families," by Elisabeth Sheff. Sheff does research on demographic poly tendencies, while the ethnicity thread discusses some of the possible reasons for those tendencies.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:37 AM

I think the reason is because, I know at least in my local news, any single thing about being poly has only featured middle class white people. Also, white people are always given more leeway in the public forums for our shenanigans being part of the norm. Basically, racism.

Also, in everything I've seen in my local news have never shown a V, let alone a V that MFM. They've all been portraying things as very...idk, pure? It's all shown that everyone is sleeping in the same bed and everyone is in romantic love with everyone. It all also kinda gives the message that a MFM V would be more scandalous.
J- B's ex FWB/BFF-still friends not amicable split, 36 yrs
M- Z's ex FWB; they split b/c lack of time & distance (very amicable) She's a sweetie, 25 yrs
Al- My casual GF. bi
Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 AM
Spaminator

I tend to agree there is little to no correlation between race, socioeconomic status, and non-monogamy.