Exploring the Myths

thank you for your reply

For me - it feels like being a unicorn is who I am
no matter what the relationship I Am in.

I feel like more than A bi-sexual

which seems to imply that I find everyone potentially attractive.
which is simply not true.

I find my happiest expression in being with both a man and a woman at once
not individually

i have been this many times

and am looking forward to being a part of a triad again.

so I think Unicorn describes identity for me, better than bi.

- Alma May - a unicorn looking for another in New Mexico

P.S. My husband is being wonderfully supportive - he knows me well enough to know that this is what I've always wanted
and is working to wrap his head and heart and trust around it.

P.S. My husband is being wonderfully supportive - he knows me well enough to know that this is what I've always wanted
and is working to wrap his head and heart and trust around it.

Just by definition you can't be a unicorn ;)...the mysterious unicorn is available to couples only, bi-sexual, is attracted to both parties and is most definitely not going to get involved with any other people besides the couple :)...

What Ari said, and also:

"Unicorn" is not euphemism for "bisexual".

The "unicorn" is the "3rd", not one of the original couple. The original couple who are "looking for a third" are referred to as "unicorn hunters". That would be what Alma May and her husband are.

Just to make it overly explicit with no room for confusion:

A unicorn in the poly world is defined as a single bisexual woman who is seeking to be in a relationship with a preexisting male-female couple, will be exclusive to that couple (i.e. will not have any relationships on the side), and will be sexually and romantically interested in both the male and female of the couple.

AlmaMay is married, which contradicts the "single" part of the definition. She is not eligible for unicorn status as the couple she would join does not want her husband along for the ride.

Unlike sexual orientation, "unicorn" is not something you can be "at heart" any more than "single" is. In other words, the moment she entered a relationship with her husband, she stopped being single and thus stopped being a unicorn. If she were to divorce her husband and seek out a new couple for a triad, then she would regain her unicorn status.

Unicorn-hunters are defined as a male-female couple seeking to add such a person to their relationship, forming an exclusive MFF triad.

I find my happiest expression in being with both a man and a woman at once
not individually

Labels aside, this is a good thing to know about oneself, and a perfectly valid thing to want and work towards in one's life. I'm especially glad that you are distinguishing this from identifying as bi-. It's worth noting that many people have not had great experiences being in these kind of relationships, and examining why that might be.

So... does Alma want to get with another couple, or is she looking for someone else to hook up with herself and her husband? Or is it both?

I'm sorry, could someone repeat the definition of "unicorn" one more time? I didn't get it the first fifty-something times.

Back