Films that were perfect

Planet of the apes was a great sci fi flick. Always worth re-watching.
How the hell could I forget blade runner
Aliens touched me in two ways. I love gore/horror... and sci fi. This gave me both
Old school - Metropolis and forbidden planet are two classics. I tend to prefer reading old sci fi, over watching old sci fi. I am a sucker for cgi haha
District 9 was a refreshing movie.. a nice new look at sci fi
The thing (ya ok, I will almost hand in my geek card for forgetting this one).. haha

sorry it was bugging me. Fantasy seems infinitely easier for me to remember than sci fi. I wonder why... hmmmmm

Gattaca wasn't big at the box office, but I thought it was a very well-done sci-fi flick. I also really enjoyed Minority Report, though I've always hated Tom Cruise's over-acting.

I was negotiating with an author to adapt one of his awesome sci-fi short stories into a short film. I came very close to buying the rights for a song... until he won the Hugo, got two agents, and now they're trying to sell the rights to a big studio for a feature. [heavy sigh] Timing is everything.

Last edited:
Gattaca wasn't big at the box office, but I thought it was a very well-done sci-fi flick. I also really enjoyed Minority Report, though I've always hated Tom Cruise's over-acting.

See another one where I forgot the movie. I love gattaca. I have seen that a number of times, and would likely rewatch it again *goes and checks netflix*

Definitely a great movie :) Thanks :)

Cool stuff. I will have to check it out one day.

Ah! How could I forget Lord Of The Rings? I would love to have all the full director's cut versions and sit and watch all 3 in a row. That would be a great night. =P

All three director's cut is about a weekend giving time for food, bathroom and sleep:) But if you did not do those things you might be able to fit it into a night :D

You are missing out. :).. The worlds weaved in a good story are absolutely untouchable.

3 points in here. I answered the question on perfection. You are absolutely right, humans aren't perfect, that doesn't make them perfect. Hell even in genetics we are all mutating, so even mother nature/god/bigbang/etc doesn't believe we are perfect.

Whoever said the films are better.. are wrong. :).. a lot of the "nonsense" is key to character creation and building a very detailed world. You have to dislike fantasy to imply that the books weren't as good. The movies were easier.. not better.

I am not comparing the books to the movies. I fully understand there is a difference between the two and that they have to be different. And please don't get me wrong. The movies did an AMAZING job recreating the story and I crave to see the hobbit when it comes out. In many ways they changed sub plots, changing some of those key stories left out. Changing many of the sub plots. The main plot was left intact and was incredible.
But the perfection comes in that we adapt to suit what we need. We work the way the universe wants us to work. Because without us, would the universe even exist?

The universe doesn't "believe" anything. It cannot think. We are the universe's way of understanding itself.

If the "nonsense" was key, it wouldn't then be nonsense would it? That's the point with Lord Of The Rings. They apparently got rid of what WAS nonsense, and then kept what was really needed for that character devlopment and everything else the story really needed. To put each film into only an hour and half would have not made the film anywhere near as good as it was. Yes, they do miss some things... and yes, that's why books and films are DIFFERENT. But should not necessarily be said to be better or worse.

I definitely have to say I LOVED District 9. I'm not sure about perfect though. I've only watched it a handful of times. I may just have to watch it again tonight. =]

I only recently watched Planet Terror, although not a perfect film, it was one of those films I'd watch again. I really love Tarantino and Rodriguez. The style of their films I think is perfect. Pulp Fiction I think I would put into perfect. It took me a few times watching just to catch everything.

I was using the word nonsense because you did. The "nonsense" is important to the entire story. The overall story is much richer with the subplots included. Creating a universe for your mind to watch. LOTR did a great job of doing that with the main plot.

Meh my hearts just not in it to post, fine, imperfection is perfect.

Ari

Moving away a bit from sci-fi movies - I suggest Bound as both a great caper movie and a perfect lesbian movie. Still one of the best lesbian sex scenes in film, IMHO.

Back on topic! ;)

I've seen a lot of movies in my time, but only a few stand out as "perfect" to me.

Kurosawa's Yojimbo is one of them. Mifune with Kurosawa is a match made in heaven.

Aliens, Blade Runner (the director's cut), Watchmen (director's cut), Kung-Fu Panda (sue me, I love this frakkin' movie), The Fifth Element, and Falling Down all strike me as what I'd call perfect.

Classics

The Wizard of Oz is pretty perfect. Casablanca, for sure.

His Gal Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell is the perfect screwball comedy.

hgf-28.jpg

Cary+Grant+_amp_+Rosalind+Russell+in+Howard+Hawks_+HIS+GIRL+FRIDAY+_1941_.jpg

Twelve Angry Men (the original) could be perfect, from a filmmaker's perspective. I was in a class that analyzed all the camera angles in that one, it's amazing what they accomplished and how compelling it is, with twelve jurors locked in one small room for the length of the film.

12-angry-men-movie.jpg

I think the original Miracle on 34th Street is the perfect Christmas movie. Natalie Wood was brilliant. The moment when the post office brings in all the letters to Santa and piles them on the judge's desk sends a shiver up my spine every time, and I've seen it a gazillion times. Kris Kringle exonerated!

miracleon34th_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

5286317603_6b3a799c83.jpg

Last edited:
I see the 'Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus' has been mentioned, very nice.

Twelve angry men is great too.

That 'Bandits' with Cate Blanchett catches my attention because she is awesome (the movies 'Little Fish', 'Notes On a Scandal' and 'I'm Not There' are all great with her) and it is mentioned to have some poly-involvement, neat.

One I'd like to bring up is 'Mulholland Drive'. 'The Fountain' is good, and 'eXistenZ' is another near-perfect movie.

In the winter I watched '(500) Days of Summer' and 'Brief Interviews With Hideous Men'. Both were great, and I'd like to re-watch them soon to see how good they are again...

The Wizard of Oz is pretty perfect.

I agree, but thought it was almost too trite to mention. It's a timeless hero myth, like the original Star Wars.

Casablanca, for sure.

His Gal Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell is the perfect screwball comedy... I think the original Miracle on 34th Street is the perfect Christmas movie.

My favorite Christmas movie is It's a Wonderful Life.

Perhaps it's the word "perfect" that is at issue here. I prefer the word excellent.

I came across this quote recently.

Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.

I don't get perfectionists. Striving for excellence is good enough for me! If you want to be perfect, or do a job perfectly, you will always be disappointed.

...Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.

I don't get perfectionists. Striving for excellence is good enough for me! If you want to be perfect, or do a job perfectly, you will always be disappointed.
Then change the word as according to how you feel makes best use of the title. =] Perfection to me is obviously a lot different to most. Films that were excellent are still great. Maybe even add some comments on what you would change to make it perfect for you and you alone.

Back