My situation. Advice needed.

Indygirl78

I'm a 34 years old and I've been married to my husband for 14 years. I've been on and off with my boyfriend for about the past 5 years, but we have been back "on" for a little over a year this time. And our situation is the problem.

My husband and my bf have been best friends for most of their lives. And we even all lived together in our early 20s. My boyfriend has been married to his wife for over 10 years and we are all friends. Here's where it gets complicated. BF's wife has had a close friendship with my DH for most of that time. They took classes in grad school together and have worked together. During this time they started more of texting/emailing more fantasy type relationship. Eventually they convince everyone to try some playing around with the other's spouse. I was hesitant at first, but it turns out the chemistry was amazing.

Things were more of a swing type of situation for a while until BF's wife decides she can't deal with not knowing what BF and I are doing when we are alone and she has issues about feeling insecure that he may like certain things better with me. So, she says we all need to take a break. But about every 6 months she wants to play again. BF and I continue to talk/text pretty much throughout all of this time. As does his wife with my DH. We have on and off periods where everything was out in the open.

About a year ago BF and I started seeing each other when we could with my DH's knowledge and approval. Not long after that BF's wife starts pursuing a relationship of the side with my DH. Here is the crazy thing, the three of us (DH,BF and I) all know when they see each other, but we have to pretend like it is some sort of secret because for some strange reason she seems more comfortable having an affair than telling the rest of us what she wants. On the flip side, she doesn't know about her DH and myself. Any time I've tried to talk to her about things she tells BF she feels "attacked" and when DH or BF try to talk to her she feels "pressured." So, we all spend time together acting like there's nothing going on and only play (I don't care for that word) when she initiates it.

I don't like how things can't be more open with her. I don't like that it makes it so I'm having an affair with her husband and she with mine. And of course we are all betraying her because we can't tell her we all know.

Someone give me some advice. I love everyone involved and need advice on ways to remedy this crazy situation. And I apologize if most of this is rambling. I am just putting it out there as coherently as I can on my phone. TIA for any suggestions!

Not exactly help, but....

I have no idea what to do with someone like that. So all I can say is, if it's worth it to you, then keep going for it :)

Also, it could be a lot worse. I'm guessing there's a lot here you're not sharing, but you have no idea the hoops I've jumped through for a metamour.

I'm sorry you struggle. :(

I don't knwo if this could help you but this is how it sounds to me....

I love everyone involved and need advice on ways to remedy this crazy situation

Could behave in loving ways to all your partners then -- not participate in "less then honest" and "lies of omission." Those things aren't loving behavior (to me.)

I don't like how things can't be more open with her. I don't like that it makes it so I'm having an affair with her husband and she with mine. And of course we are all betraying her because we can't tell her we all know.

If that is your bottom line?

You could start with YOU being open and honest with your loved ones. 4 players have to do it, but it could start with YOU.

You could tell them each solo (DH, BF, and Meta Wife) that you are no longer will to lie/pretend. Then tell them again in a quad with all there so there's not triangulation he/she said stuff.

• You want to be together in an honest and open way.
  • She wants to be together in secretive ways.
  • What does BF want?
  • What does DH want?

Where is each person's "willing" and "able? "
  • What blocks people's WILLING?
  • What blocks their ABLE?
  • If some need to grow skills/confidence to BECOME able (meta wife? others?) then how does the group plan to handle that?
  • How can the blocks be removed?

Talk it out and sort yourselves out.

If this talk means the whole things folds, it folds then. It is just NOT compatible with all the wants/needs to exist in a healthy way. If all 4 are not willing and able it will not fly. (Or at least very WILLING to be in polyship together and ALSO willing to work on their ABLE.)

You want to share something more real and authentic? Could go for it then. take the risk it could become that.

It certainly won't arrive or appear by magic -- you have to help make it so with your partners.

Could start by you aligning your own behavior to match what you say you want more of -- be more "open and honest" rather than you holding yourself back from fear of having to deal with her reaction. If you know she is "feeling attacked" or "pressured" when various people bring it up verbally -- how about over email? Written long hand? Could she be willing to talk it out that way? Couples Skype? Something else? Since you want the WHAT (to have the conversation,) you could let her choose the HOW to have it or the WHEN to have it. Negotiate on some points so it moves along and she gets some say somewhere. That could help relieve some "pressure" since she's being talked with rather than talked at.

In the meanwhile, could take a break on the swinging "play" -- that just adds to the complications. If she asks why? Tell her. "I don't want to swing play as a group until we talk things out first. When could we all sit down and talk? Friday work for you? (or whatever date)"

People could bring lists of talking points. Knock 1 or 2 off for each person's. Or 15 min each. Then get pizza after an hour. Everyone got a little something, nobody got overwhelmed. Knock some more off next week. It doesn't have to be broken down in one go.

You could help move it forward, rather than help keep it in the stuck.

Galagirl

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Galagirl, I very much appreciate the advice. I guess I am unsure how to go about things with her. She is very much one to close down and retreat rather than having a conversation (of any type) where she feels uncomfortable. DH and I have been on the same page about what we want (although he is perfectly fine with things staying more of a "swing" type of relationship as well). BF says he wants things to be out there and open enough that we could spend time with the opposite member of each couple and everyone is ok with it.

At one point we did do "date" nights where the kids were with sitters and we went out separately on a date and stayed overnight with the other's spouse. We did this only twice before she said she wasn't comfortable with that. Since then we have gone on weekends (the four of us) and this past summer we went on vacation with them and all the kids. They really are like our family.

My personal feelings are that I think she has insecurities about herself. And BF has told me that she worries that he compares us and that she is afraid he may like some things better with me. I know we have had the "it's just different" conversation multiple times. So far the only thing she seems comfortable with is very light group "play" and the NSSSA(or not-so-secret-affair) as I've come to think of it.

We have already discontinued the group play and all it seems to have done is motivate her to seek attention from DH. He has tried talking to her directly (over drinks) and says she changes the subject when he suggests she talks to her husband about it.

I'm afraid to try to push her anymore at this time because I don't want to jeopardize the friendship either. As I said, DH and BF have been friends for 30 years and I've been friends with BF for 16.

Maybe I just need to vent for now and try to be patient. Thanks for listening.

Hi Indygirl78,
Welcome to our forum.

Venting helps. We're definitely willing to listen, and offer support. I have to apologize because I took so long to write this post it is "one post late," so some of it might be backtracking. But I want to get it out there without too much more delay for revisions.

I'm hearing you say you need advice on ways to remedy the crazy situation, but when I read between the lines, I think I hear you say, "How can I get BF's wife to go along with what the rest of us want?"

That question is complicated on a couple of levels. First of all, you can't just "change what someone consents to;" there's no magic wand for that. You can't even directly change what you yourself consent to, as consent is largely an emotional animal. One can choose what to do *about* one's emotions, and some of these choices could be directed at altering one's emotional *environment.* This could include selecting different people to associate with, or working towards removing oneself from a difficult job or locale. It could also include practicing more constructive thought patterns than what may have been a force of habit in the past. But what one can't do is push a magic button that says "change emotions," and presto, emotions are changed. "Changing emotions" is a complex and indirect process.

Secondly, it sounds to me like BF's wife has some pretty deep-seated insecurities that are driving her unwillingness to consent to what the rest of the quad wants to do. She is obviously stressed out about what she perceives as her "probable inadequecy in the bedroom." On some level, she suspects that you're a better lover than she, at least with her husband. Where does this insecurity come from? Why doesn't she have confidence in her own bedroom skills? Is it an event in her past? Something she observes when the four of you play together?

Or maybe, the bedroom insecurities are just a symptom of even deeper insecurities that she's just not as good of a partner to her husband as you are, that she's somehow "less adequate" as a person and "less deserving of love." If she lets you run off to be alone with her husband, I'm wondering if she doesn't fear that he'll decide, "Hey, being alone with Indygirl78 is much more enjoyable than being alone with my wife, so I think I'll kick my wife to the curb and stick with Indygirl78 instead." Certainly this is an irrational fear, but emotions are frequently irrational. The question is, where are these emotions coming from? They seem to be deep and very visceral.

I think you need to increase and improve the quantity and quality of communication with BF's wife. You need a deeper level of trust with her, so she will start to feel free to tell you things that she wasn't even previously aware of herself.

Usually we think of talking when we think of communicating, but actually, listening is the biggest and most crucial part of communication. Listening is an art and a science. Most people listen in a superficial way. They're hearing the other person's words, but what their mind is doing with those words is formulating a snappy retort, or just mulling over whatever they want to say when they get their turn. They're "impatiently listening." They're not quieting their own mind so as to hear the other person's words coming from the other person's mind.

You need to really get inside BF's wife's head. You need to develop a very special sense of empathy and compassion for her. As hard as it is, and as frustrating as it is that she just seems to be trying to thwart your desires, you need to try to truly get yourself into her shoes, feel what she feels, and understand why she does the things that she does.

Sometimes it helps to "repeat back" to the other person what they just said, only in your own words. "I'm hearing you say that ..." and if they say, "No, that's not what I mean," you try to ask questions to get yourself on the same page as them. If they say, "Yes, that's what I mean," your next step is to express sympathy. "I can see how that would be really difficult. Is there anything I can do to help?" After all those bases have been covered, then and only then do you "take your turn" and express how you feel and see the situation. By taking the time to show that you really hear and value what they are trying to say, you earn some of their trust and help them feel more willing to listen to what you have to say when it's your turn.

And of course, maybe you've already tried all of these techniques and it just doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere. Communication is a hard skill to master. Language is complicated, and then of course add tone of voice and body language to it. I think it would take, like, a million years to really master communication. In other words, we will all need to keep practicing and learning more about it for the rest of our lives.

Look for books on communication. Do a search (or better yet a tag search) on this site for the word "communication." See what you can learn offsite about communication by googling it or what have you.

Perhaps your strongest resource here is the ability to post and interact with other members on this site. Try to describe more in detail what it's like when you try to talk to BF's wife. See if you can really give us a microscopic view of the bottlenecks you run into when you're trying to reason with her. Share with us exactly what you have and haven't tried in order to reach her. The more imformation you can share with us, the better the odds that one of us will say, "Aha ... I just saw something new you can try that might help."

Most of all, exercise as much patience as you can. I have a feeling that this won't be a quickly or easily solved problem. It will have to be tackled in tedious, painstaking steps.

And the worst thing is, you still can't guarantee that all this effort will get you what you want. As I said in the beginning, we are essentially talking about BF's wife's consent, and her consent is hers alone to give or retain. Not only that, but even if she *wants* to consent, the emotional chasm between here and there might just be too formidable for her to get across. Sometimes people have damage that takes longer than one lifetime to heal. In which case, have extra sympathy for her because who knows, somewhere deep inside, she could be suffering more than anyone could ever know. Just because she's good at subliminating all the hurt and fear, doesn't mean it's not in there somewhere. As I said, I get the feeling that she is experiencing some really deep insecurities, and we definitely haven't gotten to the bottom of them yet.

I know this all may not be quite what you wanted to hear, and may not be as helpful as you had hoped. But anything that helps even slightly right now, may lead to other posts in the future that will help more.

I am certainly pulling for you, and sympathize with your situation.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Thanks, Kevin. I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I know she has body image issues, though she is quite thin and lovely. I do know some of her past issues. Her father was abusive with her mother and she has confided that he would take her to mistresses' homes when she was younger, so there is that. She has never admitted, but I suspect there may have been some sexual abuse when she was younger...again, it's just a suspicion I have.

I do think that the insecurities/comparing is a big part of the problem as well. And I am sure she knows any worries that her DH would ever leave or that I would leave my DH are irrational she more than likely has thought. I also think that some of it is jealous that he would have feelings for me that are more than just friendship.

Another thing to consider is that she has done things sexually with my DH, with just me and together with both my DH and I. So, she has no problems with that, but the one time it was suggested that I join both her and BF she said that she was uncomfortable with that. So, there are definitely issues there. I don't know if it's a trust issue she has with him, jealousy or both. Other than what he has with me he has never been unfaithful to her.

I will try to be more attentive and more of a friend to her, but we are definitely opposite personalities. She is a people pleaser and cares what others think, whereas I am more of an outspoken type that has a difficulty sugarcoating things.

Even though I am not terribly happy that she prefers things secretive I am not willing to give up my relationship with my BF as I love him very much and don't want to try to go back to being just friends. And as long as everyone else is ok with the current situation is it so bad to continue as is and keep trying in hopes that she comes around? It may not be the way I want things to be, but she is definitely not ready for things to be out in the open.

Well, look, what do you think would happen if she found out about everything before you were ready to tell her? How would she respond? Would she have a temporary freak-out that would ease down after awhile, or would she be like, "That's it! I quit! I'm leaving!"

Take that, and measure it against the chances (per certain amount of time) of "getting caught" ... remembering that virtually no secret will keep forever. Are things reasonably under control for where she's at, mentally and emotionally? Is there an exit strategy to ease out of the secrecy?

When we say, "She doesn't know," do we mean, "She does really know on a certain level, but she's just in denial about it," or, "She knows in a DADT type of a way and that's how she's comfortable with it." Is there anything she absolutely doesn't know at all? If she doesn't know, she can't give her consent. DADT can fly with a type of generalized consent, so that's fine.

If there was sexual abuse when she was younger, that's going to be a tough nut to crack. One thing that's coming to my mind is the thought about getting a poly-friendly counselor for her. A good one, one that she is comfortable with. Might take some research and shopping around. Sometimes an open-minded counselor is good enough if they're willing to learn about polyamory and incorporate it into their practice.

Basic jealousy can usually be managed:

Let us discuss the greeneye monster shall we?
How to slay the greeneyed beastie.

Jealousy, Envy, Insecurity, Etc.
How do you achieve compersion?

The Theory of Jealousy Management
The Practice of Jealousy Management

Jealousy and the Poly Family
Kathy Labriola: Unmasking the Green-Eyed Monster
Brené Brown: the Power of Vulnerability

But in her case, those links will probably only help her treat some of the surface problems. The stuff that's deep down will take a lot of research to get into.

If she is afraid of her husband leaving her, we know that's an irrational fear because there's no empirical evidence that it would be likely to happen. And she may be well aware of that too, but sometimes the mind can say, "I get this," while the heart says, "I don't get this at all." Emotions are like fire. They aren't known to check in with logic to see if they should burn. They just catch on whatever kindling is available.

If she is a people pleaser, she will have an extra hard time opening up, because she will be afraid that her truth will displease the person she's talking to. So, lots of patient encouragement, and sometimes you just need to sit down with someone and share their quietness. Maybe a hug is all the communication a person is ready to receive at that moment.

All three of you can practice communication techniques and work toward building the kind of trust in her that will allow her to open up. Right now I think all you're hearing is the voice of her insecurities. The voice of the source of her insecurities is silenced.

At one point we did do "date" nights where the kids were with sitters and we went out separately on a date and stayed overnight with the other's spouse. We did this only twice before she said she wasn't comfortable with that.

Did anyone ask her "I see that it makes you uncomfortable. I am sorry. What about it makes you uncomfortable? How could this be alleviated? How could I/we help support you so you could become comfortable? Are you willing to try? Or not willing at this time?"

My personal feelings are that I think she has insecurities about herself. And BF has told me that she worries that he compares us and that she is afraid he may like some things better with me.

And what does he do to reassure her?

Galagirl

Kevin, you are such a great source of information...thank you.

I think on some level she has to know that BF and I have strong feelings for each other. She has consented to us seeing each other in the past, but as far as I know she doesn't know we are currently seeing each other. We see them at least ever other weekend anyway as we are all close friends. She definitely has mood swings that are unpredictable. There have been times recently that she gets quite jealous if BF and I meet to go eat lunch. However, it's perfectly fine for her to go out for a drink after work with my DH (and this happens fairly regularly). She was even upset when the guys suggested going to a bar together to watch a particular football game they had bet each other on. She was upset that she was being left out and left watching the kids while they went out. So, maybe it's jealousy, but also fear of not being included.

I admit I do get tired of the "double standard." BF and I have gone out with all the kids (5 all together) before to allow them to go hang out for the evening. The fact that they have sex during this time is what she wants kept secret from everyone else. Yet, i believe if BF and I even suggested we have drinks after work she would very much not feel ok with that. As I said, she has complained about lunch in the past and questioned why we wanted to do that.

She and my DH work together, so they see each other daily and I think that is part of why she feels drinks after work are no big deal. BF and I don't work together, but occasionally work on the same side of town and the one time we tried to plan something after work she complained to him until he acquiesced and we didn't. It's not all about sex. I miss getting to spend one-on-one time with my BF. We talk/text daily, but the only time we really get to see each other is when we are all together hanging out or the maybe once to twice a month we are able to coordinate our schedules to spend an hour together alone. Even when we were all together on vacation and seeing each other every day we only got about 10 minutes here or there where we were alone and able to talk. We have all been making plans for a kid free trip together this upcoming spring and I would love things to have progressed enough by that time to allow more time alone between me and BF and she and my DH.

I'm going to continue trying to be patient with her. I will let her continue to see my DH and hopefully she will gradually open up more to him and see if he has any luck moving things to a more open arrangement. As is, every time he has suggested she adamantly insists not.

Not really related here, but important none the less. In the past she has been untruthful with all of us. She has tried on more than one occasion to tell me that my BF is jealous or hasn't approved of things in the past in attempt to make him look like a bad guy. Or she will tell my DH that BF wouldn't go for something that he suggests. It's frustrating and I can only think she does this to discourage more than a superficial relationship between BF and myself.

There are so many times I wish I would have discovered a deeper relationship with my BF long ago when I lived with him and DH. At least that way when she had met us it could have been a "here's what we are, take it or leave it" situation.

I appreciate being able to vent and get my feelings out. I truly think she wants things to work in a more open fashion, but for some reason she can't get past whatever internal roadblocks she has. I have in the past suggested she get counseling to help her deal with her past issues, but she only said she probably should have in the past, but has no real intentions of doing it now. Sigh.

I guess this is how it has to be for now. We will just keep supporting her the best we can and hope that she finds some peace with her emotions.

Galagirl, in the past I have tried to figure out what she is uncomfortable with and she only gives me vague answers before changing the subject. On the times I have tried to bring things back to the subject at hand she closes down. And them later tells BF that she felt "attacked." We have very different ways of communicating. I'm more the type to put it out there and lets see what we can do, whereas she's more of an "it is getting uncomfortable lets avoid this uncomfortable subject" type.

I know he is very reassuring of her. Almost to the point where I think he coddles her much as one does with a child. She constantly needs reassurance from everyone around her in all aspects, home, friendship, work, etcetera. I've told BF to make sure he pays her extra attention at home. Buying her flowers, taking her on dates and even just sitting on the couch cuddling. And after any time things have happened to make extra sure he is open and supporting of her. It only helps to a small degree. Sometimes she wi briefly talk about what happened. Other times she accuses him of things such as kissing me more than her or saying things that imply he enjoys things more with me than her. This is why I am not comfortable doing things in the same room. She watches BF and I to the point that my DH has told her it's not fair to him because she isn't fully with him. But when we have tried things in separate rooms or even letting the two guys be with her she states she doesn't like it because I'm being left out (though it was my choice).

I'm getting off on a tangent now. But I think I've answered your questions. Thank you again for your input.

I note you do not answer with a plain yes/no. Let me ask plainer... Do you intend to take action? Or are you just thinking about it right now?
It's hard to advise when I do not know your intent at this time or what kind of support you seek. (Ex: thinking things out support or taking action support.)

In a nutshell? At this time? Stripped of the past details? This is where it seems to be TODAY:
  • You , DH, BF, and this woman engage in swinger sex sometimes.
  • You and BF used to date too, but the wife asked it to stop. She didn't want dating, she only wanted swinging -- casual recreational sex. You all agree to stop.
  • A year later? You and BF break that agreement. You and BF are dating without her knowledge right now. Just your DH's. So you and BF seem to be having a cheating affair with your DH's enabling.
  • DH also dates the woman being cheated on right now. You, BF, and DH let her believe she's having an cheating affair with your DH -- really you all know. But SHE believes she's having a secret thing with your DH though.
  • All of you are lying to each other about one thing or another.
    • She lies about her cheating affair with your DH.
    • You and BF and DH do lies of omission -- because you pretend you don't know but all really know about (her + your DH )
    • You and BF and DH lie about (you + BF) dating and your own cheating affair.
  • You state you are all friends.
  • You state you are tired of lies and want to be open/honest.

These behaviors are "friendly" behavior how? :(

These behaviors are "open and honest" how? :(

You state you DO NOT LIKE the current state of affairs.

You choose to participate in a cheating affair. Are you willing to STOP? Are you willing to expect more from yourself?

What stops you from telling her? Fear of her reaction? Something else?

If you want to help her become more secure - what are you willing to do?

• Are you willing to tell her it is ok to date your hubby openly?
  • Are you willing to stop seeing her husband in secret?

If you want to be open and honest about the rest -- What are you willing to do in that area so you can be free of lies?

• Are you willing to come clean about your own cheating affair?
  • Are you willing to apologize and ask for a chance to make amends?
  • Are you willing to stop dating the BF under these cheating conditions?

Because right now? It seems like you mostly wanted to vent that you don't get to date the BF openly. Well...

• Could stop dating him clandestinely!
  • Could apologize to wife for the cheating start. Reveal you know about her affair with your DH.
  • Could stop sharing swinger sex until this all gets sorted out.
  • Could arrange for everyone talk in a group -- YES. Even if it it feels yucky and uncomfortable.
  • Could start over on a clean slate if all players are willing -- and date each other openly and honestly.

It may be hard to FEEL, but the actions seem straightforward enough. Are you willing to do any/all of those things at this time? Or not yet? :confused:

You do not seem willing to be assertive and face conflict resolution straight up at this time. From your story, most of the players are very avoid style in their conflict resolution.

I just don't see how this can continue on a good path -- everyone avoiding reality. :(

Sooner or later it will come out and THEN what?

If you are at contemplation stage, could finishing thinking then. Then determine what you are willing/not willing to do as you move on to the next stage of change.

Everyone could own their own baggage here. You can do this.

But you do not seem ready to take action at this time. I could be wrong. Are you at contemplation stage only or moving on to the next part -- you intend to take action and want to prepare?
Galagirl

Last edited:
Galagirl, yes, as scandalous as that all sounds it is pretty much the current situation. And yes we are actually friends though I will say that I doubt under other situations she and I would be more than friendly acquaintances due to our different personalities.

Here's the thing. This has been an on and off thing for at least the past five years. Sometimes she says it's what she wants and other times not. And I have stopped seeing BF in the past when she has said she's not comfortable with it. Though we did not this most recent time. So, yes, essentially it's an affair that my DH knows about. She tells my DH she loves him and wants to see him, but is not comfortable with it being out in the open. I don't know why.

I honestly don't know what would happen if we all say down and had that conversation. My guess is she would be beyond pissed and shut down. She would avoid us the best she could and she would put him in the dog house. I don't believe she would leave him. She works with my DH, so she would still have to see him. My guess is she would see it as all my fault. This was not something I pursued, but yes, it is something that I've continued doing.

Given the information about her personality. What would be the best way to try to bring things out? And I honestly don't know if I would be willing to tell her the extent of the past. I don't know. Maybe this is entirely the wrong forum for me to be in. I want one thing, but maybe things have gotten to the point where there is no way to make it work.

I am looking for suggestions on remedying the situation with hopes of it moving forward in a more positive direction.

Last edited:
And I guess I am just thinking about action right now. I haven't the slightest idea how to go about this conversation without it directly affecting the dynamics between all involved.

And Galagirl, are you by any chance a therapist? I love how straight forward you are at analyzing the situation and offering a concise summation of things. It sounds crazy, but even though at first your above post made me feel awful, upon re-reading it I appreciate your candor and I feel it's given me a lot to think about.

I know most of what I've posted thus far has been a jumble of thoughts and it's been cathartic for me just getting every thing out there somewhere (even if it is an anonymous forum), but I feel it's a good first step in analyzing myself.

I feel that I need to have a serious conversation with BF and DH about ways to resolve this issue. I don't know what the future holds for is, but I am forever grateful for the way you lay things out in a very logical fashion for me.

No, I am not a therapist. I do prefer NVC for my communication. Makes a lot of things, not just polyshipping, easier to deal with (for me).

I'm glad you can tell my intent is not to hurt you. :eek: I truly am trying to offer you some of the support you asked for, but it's hard to help when I don't know what ball park you are aiming for or what your need is. :confused:

To me you seemed like you were not sure if you were contemplating only or preparing to take action or what.

Now you seem to say that you are weighing out the pros and cons of moving toward "open and honest" like you want. But fear/anxiety about how it might play out when it comes to "taking action" time -- it's clouding your ability in the thinking time. You acknowledge you could serious conversation with BF and DH about ways to resolve this issue. Maybe you do that first. Before you have a conversation with all of you. That has to happen at some point -- her being brought up to speed. If the goal is to end lies, she can't be kept in the dark!

Well, just think for now. Could remind yourself you are not acting at this time. You are only thinking. There's not need to crank your own self up with anxieties or whatever. You have enough problems. No need to ADD more, right? Breathe, and take it one thing at a time.

Let's try that on for size then. Only thinking it out.

Say you tell. And she shuts down. This will be bad because....
  • She would be beyond pissed and shut down.
  • She would avoid us the best she could.
  • She would put (my DH) in the dog house. I don't believe she would leave him. She works with my DH, so she would still have to see him.
  • She will blame me and say it is all my fault.
  • This was not something I pursued, but yes, it is something that I've continued doing.

Could take it one at a time then if all in a lump is too overwhelming. Do one today and another one tomorrow.

• Her being pissed and shut down makes it hard for me. Because then I would have to ____?
  • Her avoiding me and DH makes it hard for me. Because then I would have to ____?

• Her putting DH in the dog house makes it hard for me. Because then I would have to ____?
  • Her blameshifting on to just me is hard for me. Because then I would have to ____?
  • Continuing to participate in this (though I did not pursue or initiate it)in a way that is less than honest is hard for me. Because then I would have to ____?

And every time you answer with a sentence, tack it on AGAIN. "What about THAT makes it hard? Because then I would have to ____?"

When you can go no deeper, what do you get? In each of those mini areas of the bigger problem?

Galagirl

Last edited:
Your other stuff...

Given the information about her personality. What would be the best way to try to bring things out?

I would shelve this til later. You are still working on getting firm of purpose in yourself first. Then IDENTIFYING all the problem areas.

So this question comes later in the process to me.
  • I am thinking about telling. <-- you are here.
  • I am going to tell. Definitely. No matter what it takes or costs me. I am resolute!
  • HOW am I going to tell her? <--- this would be skipping ahead.

I am looking for suggestions on remedying the situation with hopes of it moving forward in a more positive direction.

Here is a possible generic template. Up to you if you want to use that or make up your own:

• Overall Mission: "Be Open and Honest." (Orange for partial because all things under are not all green. )
    • I know the mission. I agree to uphold this mission. <-- seems to be a check in your column for part of it anyway.
    • All my partners know the mission and agree to uphold this mission. <-- not green all the way yet though. At some point you have to ask if each of them want this too.
  • Goals: (to support the mission?)<---- You are not here yet. But you could think out one step ahead. Before you can go here for real, the Mission must be all green. All players not on board with the mission? This trip doesn't fly. Have to work out the new mission all can play by and agree to or disband. You have already tried it out wonky and you don't like it.
    • I know what the goals are. I agree to work to achieve them.
    • All my partners know what they are. They all agree to work to achieve them.

The baby goals to help support our mission of "Open and Honest" are...

• I am no longer in a cheating affair
    • DH is no longer in a cheating affair
    • BF is not in a cheating affair
    • The wife (your meta) is not in a cheating affair.
    • All are free from lying behavior from YOU.
    • All are free from lying behavior from BF
    • All are free from lying behavior from DH
    • All are free from lying behavior from the wife
    • I do/do not continue swinger sex with this couple.
    • DH does/does not continue swinger sex with this couple.
    • I do/do not date the BF openly.
    • DH does/does not date the woman openly.
    • Something else? (That I did not think of you want to put in this slot?)
    • Some mix and match of the above?
    • ALL of the above?

Could you be willing to define "negative direction" also?

Because it takes BOTH. You have enough on your plate.

So could stop the behaviors that ADD to the problems. (That stops any NEW crap from piling in!)

Then you have to start shoveling the crap that is already here. TAKE AWAY from the problems. Change behaviors that help with that.

You don't get to have fresh air and enjoy "open and honest" til both things are attended to.
  • Behavior Objectives to support the goals? <-- This is 2 steps ahead. You can't meet behavior objectives and decide WHO DOES WHAT PART to achieve the goals without knowing what the goals are.

• I know what the objectives are. I agree to do my share. (List what my share is)
  • All my partners know what they are and agree to do each of their shares. (Lists for each person)
  • All of us know who owns what behavior. Who will do/not do X. We know how we hold each other accountable.
  • All are prepared to work on our individual behaviors and group behaviors
  • We all know how to measure progress as we work through it.

But there is no escaping the fact that what you do can and does affect the other players. It's the polymath. It exists even in swinging -- on the most basic level? Who you share sex with can and does affect you and your other sex partners and their sex healths. Right now? YOU are being affected by your own behavior and the behavior of your partners. Result: You feel yucky with the lies.

Could change that then. Change some behaviors and see if you start to feel better over time.

BREATHE.

Just take it one thing at a time. You sound like you started out swinging and want to end up in a polyship. Well... break it down. One thing at a time. Get yourself back to "neutral" first -- and heal from all the affairs. Then see how it could unfold with this couple. I don't think you can leap from negative to positive just like that. It's going to take some effort and working through steps in between. Keep your expectations real.

Getting a show of hands for "I would like to be open and honest with my friends and lovers. Who is with me?"

Sooner or later, that has to be asked by you. They aren't exactly beating down the doors to ask it themselves. SOMEBODY has to be first.

Galagirl

Last edited:
Galagirl, again, thank you so much for the above posts. You have given me so much to think about. I definitely need to do some serious thinking about how I want to proceed. I really do want a poly situation with all involved, as I feel BF does as well. My DH (from conversations is perfectly fine keeping it as a swing relationship, but is open to more). And finally I think we all need to find a way to figure out what MW wants. At this point in time I doubt she even knows herself.

I have a lot to think about. More than anything I want things to work with them. We have tried starting relationships with others (during a break from seeing this couple sexually) and while DH does well with it, I have not been satisfied. Sure, I have fun, I meet people I feel I could be friends with, but I've felt like I'm missing chemistry that I felt with BF. This is what lead me to open things back up to the swinging with them.

Maybe it is time to take a break and when/if the situation is brought up we can have a sit down to discuss what we all want. I'm just throwing this all out there/more thinking out loud right now.

I believe I just have a lot of thinking to do.

You are welcome. I'm glad it helped organize your thoughts some so you can continue to think it over to the end. I hope you do that work for yourself and get to where you want to be with your people.

This part?

And finally I think we all need to find a way to figure out what MW wants. At this point in time I doubt she even knows herself.

You don't seem to want to do it face to face at this time. Again, that's a comes later AFTER you are firm of purpose and have made up your mind to proceed.

But if thinking that is freaking you out and you shut down in your thinking process? You could remember you could always send her a letter when that time comes if that makes it easier to execute. Shoot, could give the same 'willingness assessment" to all players. Even you!

Dear MW:

I find it hard to talk in face time but I do want to talk.

Could you be willing to circle things for each of these statements? So I can know where you stand?

1) I would like to grow our 4 person thing into something bigger than swinging/casual sex partners. Could you?

• At this time, yes. With conditions met.
  • At this time, no. But it could change in time. (soft limit)
  • at this time, no. That will never change. (hard limit)

2) I want you and DH to date in the open. Could you be ok with this?

3) I would like to date BF in the open. Could you be ok with this?

4) I want us to try to grow towards an open, honest polyship where we can talk to each other comfortably. Could you be willing to do your part for all of us to get to this place with each other?

5) I want / do not want to also share casual sex with you in a swinging group context. Could you be ok with this?

6) I do /do not want to date you. Could you be ok with this?

7) I do want us to be friends. Could you be ok with this?

There you go.

Don't want to do it in face time because she's avoidy? Write a letter then. All she has to do is circle answers.

Then you can know where she stands, finish assessing the other players and get on with life.

Move it forward and out of the stuck.

If she's just not willing to play ball? Stop playing ball then. At least you get to neutral zone where you can heal from lies and affairs. That's moving in a positive direction and a good outcome for YOU.

Even if not the BEST hoped for outcome? It's better.

Things take time.

Galagirl

Last edited:
As elementary school "do you like me? Yes or no?" as that sounds it may just be exactly what she can handle. Thanks for the idea!

Notes/observations based on the recent posts:

• MW does a lot of scorekeeping.
  • MW has unpredictable mood swings.
  • MW is afraid of telling the truth.
  • MW doesn't really know what she wants.
  • MW feels particularly threatened by you.
  • MW is childlike and used to getting her way.
  • MW is very averse to leaving her comfort zone.
  • MW would be very volatile in the face of the truth.
  • MW just doesn't trust other people, even her friends.
  • MW is afraid of hearing anyone state her true feelings, even herself.
  • MW feels threatened by other people spending time together without her -- even BF and DH.
I can see that you are tired of MW having things one way, while you (theoretically) have to have things another way. It's okay for her to spend one-on-one time with DH, but it's not okay for you to spend one-on-one time with BF. Have you pointed out this inequity to her? If so, what was her defense?

I agree that it would have been much simpler if MW hadn't been in the picture in the first place. Or would it have been? As long as MW entered the picture sooner or later, her insecurities would have followed her sooner or later as well, and then who knows what other kinds of problems she would have caused (in place of the kinds of problems she has caused).

Re (from Indygirl78):
"We have all been making plans for a kid free trip together this upcoming spring and I would love things to have progressed enough by that time to allow more time alone between me and BF and she and my DH."

Ohh. This kind of concerns me because I'm afraid MW won't be able to make the changes you're hoping for by Spring, which sounds like a recipe for disappointment (and frustration, and resentment) on your part (and perhaps's BF's part too). This can't be what you want to hear, but I want to be clear about my perception that MW's problems are going to take years, not months, to sort through, let alone work out. Perhaps that means you'll want to dedicate some thought as to whether this could all be worth it to you? I mean, what if it takes decades to sort these problems out? How much patience do you have left for MW's misbehavior?

Remember, you need more than just patience with the situation. You also need patience with listening to what MW has to say. Especially if MW is afraid of telling the truth. That means you'll have to patiently sit through a lot of fibbing before you hear any of the real information.

Are BF and DH reading this thread? If not, they probably should. I think it is going to take all three of you trying to reach MW's hidden emotional layers in order to add up to a good chance of success.

Getting MW to talk about her deepseated feelings is going to take more than just asking her to do it. It's probably going to take scratching away a little at a time ... much like extracting a fossil from the surrounding rock. Chopping away at it with pick and shovels is going to damage the fossil (and mar the information). The work has to be done with brushes and tiny chip-away tools.

From what I am seeing (so far), whatever is hidden inside MW is deeply buried and she is not eager to encounter it herself. It's much more comfortable for her to just fret over surface complaints and annoyances. Digging down deeper would mean that she would have to confront some really scary shit within herself. Sort of like if there were a monster locked away in a dungeon down there. She doesn't want to venture down into the dungeon and free the monster.

Re:
"I have in the past suggested she get counseling to help her deal with her past issues, but she only said she probably should have in the past, but has no real intentions of doing it now."

That's odd. Why doesn't she think counseling would help her now, if it would have helped her in the past? Does she think her issues have gotten too cemented to be changed?

Re (from Indygirl78):
"I feel that I need to have a serious conversation with BF and DH about ways to resolve this issue."

Good idea.

You'll also do well to work on accomplishing GalaGirl's suggestions.

Back