Online Dating… OKCupid... what a trip. What works for you?

Wow....My profile's not THAT lewd. LOL

You can look me up. I am TnL4everu2 in Tampa.

Next 2 winners.

First guy: lives nearby, 35 yrs old, fairly nice profile. Good first message, indicating he read my profile. And he likes to cook.

A couple PMs later, I find out he's never had a relationship lasting longer than 3 months. At age 35? And he's giving notice at his local job and might end up moving back overseas in a few months... he's got family in Lebanon and Iraq. Why would I bother meeting this gentleman?

And just now, guy from Florida (I'm in Mass), 0% match, says: hello dear how are you?

Wow, us women sure are lucky to get so many more messages than guys do.

:rolleyes:

It just occurred to me that at some point there might be members on the forum who these messages have originated from. I hope they see it as a learning experience if they do happen to come across one of their less than stellar posts.:eek::)

Next 2 winners.

First guy: lives nearby, 35 yrs old, fairly nice profile. Good first message, indicating he read my profile. And he likes to cook.

A couple PMs later, I find out he's never had a relationship lasting longer than 3 months. At age 35? And he's giving notice at his local job and might end up moving back overseas in a few months... he's got family in Lebanon and Iraq. Why would I bother meeting this gentleman?

And just now, guy from Florida (I'm in Mass), 0% match, says: hello dear how are you?

Wow, us women sure are lucky to get so many more messages than guys do.

:rolleyes:
He said he MIGHT be moving back overseas in a few months. You never know, he might be "all that and a bag of chips". ;) I would like to get a few messages from total idiots. It would at least make the hunt a LITTLE fun. LOL

Back home from my date, which was... eh, and I check OKC. Ooh, a message from someone new. I open it up, here it is:

Hey your extremely beautiful. Do you have aim? I would love to get to know you allot better. What is your favoirtie drink?​

Gah!

Last edited:
Yeah, really, I know. Oh, and he's 24. My desired age range stated on my profile starts at 36. And here's the Self Summary on his profile:

******** It might seem like i am very into sex and only be looking for a one night stand i don't i"m sorry i want something real all i want is one chance thats alll.*****

Well first off i cant believe im on a dating site. But i guess everything happens for a reason. I'm [his own username misspelled] im 24 and i live in flushing. If you want to know my name ask me. I dont no what more to say here im more of an i ask you u tell me you ask me kinda guy if that even makes any sense. If it dose ask me lol.​

Hahaha.

LOL, Cindie, I got a couple messages from a 23 year old in the past week. First message:

Hi, I'm X and i'm 23. Now i noticed you said you like guys of all ages, but i'm am a little young but in terms of not only how I behave, but my interest are much more mature than guys my age. In terms of the music, literature and film I love. So anyways I think you're very cute and I love mature women, so hopefully we can talk, take care. Also unfortunately the only pic I have of me on this comp is one were I have a bad sun burn

I didn't answer because his profile was boring.

So, 6 days later, he writes again:

Hi, I had already sent you a message, so I'm really sorry for bothering you again. But i'm just really attracted to you and alot of our interest are almost identical, so I figured I'd give it another shot, take care

Nice person that I am, I replied:

Hi X. Which of my interests do you think you share?

... since his profile hadn't listed any matches in interests!

And now, it's 5 days later and he hasn't told me what these supposed shared interests are. :confused:

Met with someone yesterday that I had been in contact with oh for maybe a week on ok cupid. Seemed like a really nice guy, and he was... it was just that he misrepresented his weight and few other things :rolleyes: I really don't understand why people misrepresent themselves... if you are truly looking to meet someone, its all going to come out then lol Oh well

LOL While at work today, I noticed one of our customers was someone I had seen on OKC. LOL She had a "roller derby" sticker on her car. When I told LT about it, she got on OKC and did a search for "rollerderby". Guess what? It pulled up some chick with a similar name as someone on here. ;) LOL So now you know why someone from Floriduh is looking at your profile. ;)

Never did find that ladies profile from my work though. :( She was cute too.

LOL Well, I don't want you to think I'm stalking you. LOL Although I WILL say that my wife misses Seattle a LOT. I just miss the people.

I think there's another thread somewhere out there where I already said that was my name on OKC...so it's all good if forum people check me out. Oh and the haircut I have is a lie :D

Wait...How is the haircut...a lie?

Also, we are like an 80%+ match. :D LOL

It's way different than the haircut I have now. We might be an 80% match but I think the distance might pose a wee problem!

Maybe. I'm not real big on long distance relationships....Now, how much distance defines "long distance", is the REAL question. LOL Now that you have looked at my profile....What did you think?

Honestly the end where "you should contact me if" sounds a little negative. I would take out the last paragraph if I were you. Also it would be nice to hear more about you rather than about you and your wife together. It's enough to put a link to her profile. The people who are looking at you are going to want to know about you, not about your marriage. They can learn about that as they get to know you. This is about first impressions and all.

Well, most of it WAS written by my wife. LOL ;) As for the end...I think I put that on there after seeing a few too many profiles of women who hadn't been online in 2 years or more. LOL That kinda frustrates me. I think the site should automatically delete any profiles which have not been logged into in more than 6 months.

I DID take that last paragraph off though. LOL

I think the site should automatically delete any profiles which have not been logged into in more than 6 months.

Well, I mentioned OKCupid in passing to Seamus the other day and he told me "oh, I still have a profile over there!" and I was interested in checking it out for laughs, but then it turned out it had been deleted.
So, it might take longer than 6 months, but they do delete inactive profiles after a while.

I've had very good luck with OkCupid, since I am dating two guys I met though that site.

However, I do have to wade through some emails, and sometimes I dread answering the emails because they haven't given me a clue what to say. I also don't answer winks. I love positive, upbeat people who ask questions that indicate that they actually read my profile! Bonus points for having a profile that matches how they are emailing and doesn't seem to have been written by someone else entirely.....

Yes. I had a badly misspelled email exchange with someone whose profile seemed far more sophisticated. It made me really wonder, especially since he kept asking me what I thought was interesting about his profile instead of actually talking to me. He also wanted me to call him right away. Meh.

What I like in a profile?

Lots of information presented in a way that indicates personality.

If the person is married, an indication that they are poly and a link to the spouse's profile.

At least one picture that is clear, and not of the person in a Halloween costume. Seriously, what is up with that?

A positive overall impression. This one is subjective, but lists of what someone is not looking for or lists of turnoffs ....turn me off. Assuming a negative reaction from the viewer and trying to head it off doesn't work well either.

I also love to read journals, look at what tests someone has taken, check out links, etc. more information is better.

Back to the emails. I have a current profile, but, I am seeing two guys. One relationship is still in the NRE phase. I look at profiles, but, I'm not eager to start something right this moment, so, I haven't been messaging.

I'm willing to meet people, but, I have gotten picky. I'll admit it. Talking to an intelligent guy is a turn on, and I want an indication even in the first email that he's perceptive and bright. I can overlook a heck of a lot, physically, if he can engage my brain well enough!

Back