River's Blog

Yup, them's just up the road a piece. Just give me a holler when you're comin' my way and you're invited to the bar-bq.

Hello, Friends!

No, I have not died. Rather, I got sucked deep into the swirling vortex of Occupy Santa Fe, one of those local arms of Occupy Wall Street, a solidarity movement. I worked my tail off each day desperately trying to help our occupation encampment to survive and thrive. It did okay for a while, but doesn't seem to have very good legs at this point. It was basically abandoned by those who created it. We OSF activists simply failed to sufficiently outnumber the crazies, lazies and problematic (drunk, psychotic) folks. It has been very messy and trying. And now I have my life back, for I've let go of the whole damn thing.

>Hugs!<

Last edited:
Different folks have different answers to this question, but most all of the answers point to a basic fact.: America is not a democratic country, and we're tired of pretending that it is. We have corporatism, instead -- a.k.a., fascism, plutocracy, oligarchy....

Simply put, America runs on the golden rule.: Those with the gold make the rules, and run the "election" processes and political parties..., etc. And the media, the "news"....

So, ultimately, I saw OSF and OWS as a grass roots pro-democracy movement. That's the purpose I served these last few weeks. But I think we're failing. Maybe a few more woke up from the Disneyland smoke and mirrors? Hmmm?

Coffee? Tea?

OWS (and its offshoots) is failing because of the hypocritical slackers who joined them and are drumming and shitting in the streets, over half of which I am certain do not vote in every local and national election, have never written to a government official, and probably don't have a basic understanding of how economy and capitalism work. There they are, protesting big business while spreading the word on their little pieces of technology, decrying capitalism while mourning the death of Steve Jobs, a billionaire capitalist. Changes need to take place, but the movement shot itself in both feet and now the country views them as a bunch of unwashed hyper-leftist losers.

/end soapbox

Glad you're back, River. I've missed you and was wondering where you were. I thought maybe you had taken a cross-country trip to see a certain someone...

Hi, nycindie!

Oh, no, ... but I'm going to go see her real soon! I got caught up in "the movement" which delayed everything ... since I have a crucial -- and needed -- skill set to offer OSF. But my skills weren't enough, alas, to prevent the "occupation" from failing our stated purpose. It degenerated into a homeless shelter, soup kitchen and daycare facility for dysfunctional adult children. Our unions and peace organizations and progressive orgs... failed to chip in. But, hey, we made the front page, above the fold! >sigh<

>hugs<

Oh, and I learned a lot! A whole lot! Intensive education program! I even have a cell phone now! >sigh<:eek:

http://www.alternet.org/story/153060/the_tactic_of_occupation_and_the_movement_of_the_99?page=1

Nycindie,

R.e., " ... drumming and shitting in the streets ... "

===

"In this epic battle over values and ideas, our opponents have already mounted a sophisticated public relations offensive to nail down the floating signifier and negatively brand the emerging movement. They are attempting to caricaturize, stereotype and “otherize” the most visible actors—the occupiers—in order to inoculate more Americans from identifying with “the 99%” and keep them from joining the movement." (from the above link)

===

(Me again): It is true that various Occupy encampments have filled up with messy, even disturbing, people -- drunks, crazies, lazies.... But they have also been filled with passionate and intelligent people of the most admirable kind. Though too few of those percentage wise here in Santa Fe. We in SF needed to outnumber our drunks and crazies ten to one, at least -- and failed to do so.

Nycindie,

R.e., " ... drumming and shitting in the streets ... "

===

"In this epic battle over values and ideas, our opponents have already mounted a sophisticated public relations offensive to nail down the floating signifier and negatively brand the emerging movement. They are attempting to caricaturize, stereotype and “otherize” the most visible actors—the occupiers—in order to inoculate more Americans from identifying with “the 99%” and keep them from joining the movement." (from the above link)

===

(Me again): It is true that various Occupy encampments have filled up with messy, even disturbing, people -- drunks, crazies, lazies.... But they have also been filled with passionate and intelligent people of the most admirable kind. Though too few of those percentage wise here in Santa Fe. We in SF needed to outnumber our drunks and crazies ten to one, at least -- and failed to do so.

Thanks for sharing this River. It's a common theme of the whole thing being over shadowed by a small visible group. Same thing in Victoria BC.

River, thank you for your support of the movement. I'm not ready to become an occupier myself (I'm changing the system from the inside :)), but I so appreciate the fact that the corporations and government in our country have been put on notice that our citizenry will only take so much greed and disregard for the common people.

River,

All the people I've talked to who have participated in these "occupy encampments "about 5....41/2 really....all said , after a bit of probing, that the salaries and bonuses of wall street traders and hedge fund managers was what they objected to. Then they added the high cost of education and health care, global warming, etc. .

In Santa Fe what did you and your fellow occupies want changed?

What do the NY protesters want changed.?

In Santa Fe what did you and your fellow occupies want changed?

What do the NY protesters want changed.?

I thought I answered this already. We want democracy instead of corporate and monied interest rule. We may point out a thousand different symptoms of plutocracy, but that's the underlying theme. It's really very simple.

Yes you did say that ...I was thinking of actual specific and detailed suggestions. Something more than down with corporate greed.

I don't think the movement had a very unified message....among the occupiers. Because if that was the goal why talk about the salaries or bonuses of people on wall street, cost of education, etc, etc....

Why wasn't the protest be in DC forcing changes in the election laws? Why not protest 528 million dollars wasted on a solar company? or the GM bailout or all the other bailouts?

Why not protest the politicians who take corporate money? or awarded wasteful contracts.

Did you have guest speakers or politicians rotate through? Did you get direction from Ny or some other rally?

Do you have candidates that your local movement supports...are they affiliated with either of the major parties.?

Thanks D

Do you have candidates that your local movement supports...are they affiliated with either of the major parties.?

Thanks D

D,

The Occupy Movement is broad and diverse and "leaderless" (or all or many are leaders). No one speaks for the movement, though General Assemblies in various cities/towns do speak in a unified voice.

That said, I'd say that most of us who hit the streets under the Occupy banner did so with the conviction that our political system is fundamentally broken, including, of course the two dominant and hegemonic political parties which Ralph Nader aptly calls "the duopoly" (the corporate parties).

We hit the streets mainly in a desperate plea to the general public to wake the fuck up already. We did not hit the streets with a narrow and specific set of end goals -- other than true democracy in the USA.

Sure, we carried signs asking for this that and the other thing. I suggest you
examine these signs for the underlying message, rooted in an underlying cause. Otherwise, we will be a complete mystery to you.

Now back to polyamory....

I delayed going to spend face-to-face and skin-to-skin time with Faraway Sweetie because I got caught up in a grassroots revolutionary pro-democracy movement. (Sorry, Sweet, you know I had to do it!) But I'm now free to travel and will be heading up to be with my Very Dear One right after Thanksgiving. We will have known one another about six months.

Pretty much everything about my relationship with FS is entirely uncharted territory for me. She's a woman, and I've had little experience with women as romantic, loverly partners. And she lives far, far away. And we've developed an intensely intimate friendship over great distance ... by emails and phone. And I'm in love with her, anyway. Have been for a while. Most of these six months, really. It's strange. It may be crazy. I dunno. But it is how I feel.

I almost backed away. Almost, sort of almost. I got caught up in the fear of not having her around for long spells, a condition created by economics and twelve hundred miles. Yesterday evening I felt as if my soul were a rope in a tug of war.

Fear lost.

Love won.

Sorry I couldn't play yesterday I was busy running my little company.
I looked at the signs, down with corporate greed, we are the 99%, repeal the patriot act, foreclosures suck , end the Cuban blockade. I asked direct questions of people carrying the signs and I got slogans back. I asked you who spent weeks camped in it 5-6 direct questions and I got ....some pseudo intellectual bs on government structures and a suggestion I look at the underlying cause. OK how is ending the Cuban blockade, or the patriot going to change corporate salaries or stop foreclosures. I think you're ready for political office ...your going to make a great politician .... here's another tough question, have you declared your candidacy yet. I hope you remember your poly friends once you get in office.

Are you people against all big corporations or just a select few? I saw a lot of people looking down, and playing with their gadgets ...is big telecom, ATT, Verizon part of the hit list ...will they become targets down the road. What about the makers of those devices ... all big corporations. What about the salaries and bonuses of those corporations....Why aren't you going after pro athletes, NASCAR Drivers , TV, and movie industry people ....Why not picket Oprah, Hanks, Beckham... or Sunday afternoons set up outside football stadiums...have people do google searches on players compensation packages....."that guy is clearly not worth that" ..."quick give me a crayon" ...down with number 42 and his high priced agent. Yes fuck the Jerry Maguires of the world...leaches all of them. Now there's a target rich environment...Agents....great idea right...your welcome. All agent should be taxed at a much higher rate(%) ? ...I'll leave that up you...you're the politician now but make it hurt. Thanks

Why not get rid of the TSA I hate all the bs at the airports? "Down with the TSA" " Down with the TSA" .....Sure people will die....but its a risk I'm willing to take and live with.

I asked you who spent weeks camped in it 5-6 direct questions and I got ....some pseudo intellectual bs on government structures and a suggestion I look at the underlying cause.

DG,

Sorry, but my time is limited and I can't always answer five or six questions which require a lot of contextualizing. When I replied, I gave as much time as I had to your questions.

Because you have responded to what I could give at that moment by calling my words "pseudo intellectual bs," I am very disinclined to try further to explain my views on this matter.

I am a very genuine intellectual. An honest one. And my views on the topic at hand are honest, and well considered. Forgive me for not being able to hand you my unwritten book of essays. And don't expect me to reply to you again without having first received an apology.

Clearly you didn't want to have this discussion ...your answers and comments speak for themselves ...Not much of an advocate ...too busy to spread the word for the cause....use your blog to fight the good honesty fight for the common man ...the 99. What about my TSA idea? Could you at least past that along at the next meeting/planning session. I'll even donate markers( not sharpies they're a big corporation....which is bad ) generic ones....from china.

I 'm rethinking your bid for public office I'm not sure you're ready ...might be little too thin skinned. Plutocracy, do you know where that came from?

Hey River :)

I'll quickly jump straight over the banal blah blah above and say - Lovely to hear from you...You are very inspiring and I wish you all the best for your upcoming visit...

I'm so, so, excited and happy for you !!

Something unexpected happened. Faraway Sweetie and I have decided to be friends without the romantic part -- platonic friends. This we did, because I let it be known that I'm really not able to be happily in love with someone who lives twelve hundred miles away, whom I'd realistically only see for briefish occasional visits, perhaps two or three times a year. With phone calls and emails.

There are other details of our transition, but this is the key one. You see, initially, we had reason to believe we could spend much more time together, even sharing a geographical proximity. This no longer seems to be forthcoming, or even possible -- for year after year.

One of her greatest fears in the world is hurting people, and especially those she loves.
I want her to understand that I do not believe she has hurt me. Nor have I hurt me. We are each innocent and beautiful and extraordinary in our love for one another. And while it is not that she hurt me, this situation does hurt. A lot. I miss what I thought we were likely to be together. A lot.

I love you so much, Faraway Sweetie. Please don't think that you caused this pain. You have not. But I promised to be honest with you as much as humanly possible, and I can't pretend that I do not hurt about the transition our love is taking.

I'll call ... soon.

I love you!

Back