Poly-Friendly Places to live... I suck at google search. :(

LovingRadiance

So-Maca and I are off the pity party about our attempted move that went to hell in a handbasket.

I thought I'd go online and search for ideas on places to move, because we are no longer bound to the Idaho/Washington area.

But-I can't freaking find anything worth a shit using google search. (I know-I'm internet illiterate)

I wanted to work towards finding out where the most poly-friendly laws were, then within those-the most poly-friendly communities and then go from there.

But I can't find shit.

We're a poly-quad that lives together and we're "out", with 4 kids still at home. So it's pretty important that we not move somewhere that we're going to get a lot of harassment about raising kids with 4 adults in the home...

Any suggestions?

Not sure about this, but San Francisco might be a good place to consider. (Earthquakes aside.)

Don't know about the laws here - that would take some research, but I have always felt, that at least here in the Los Angeles area, just about anything goes. Due to the large imigrant popluations and the crazy price of housing, it is not uncommon to have lots of adults and lots of kids living under one roof. Homeschooling is also pretty common.

Beware: Huge taxes and housing is astronomically expensive, not to mention insurance costs.

I once read boston had one of the largest poly communities around. Might be worth looking at

according to my unscientific searching, WA seems to do ok as well for the community. Might be something there :)

Vancouver or Victoria, but they are canadian cities :)

Seattle has a large sex-positive community - great for poly & kinky people.

San Francisco, CA

Vancouver, BC

Victoria, BC

New York.

I think just about any of the major centres would be good.

A link for you: http://www.lovemore.com/locallinks.php#wa

Last edited:
Vermont is pretty laid-back if you like a more rural setting and don't mind lots of snow in winter (and the winters are not as long or dark as they are in Alaska)

I'm not sure what you folks do for a living. That's something to consider when deciding on where to move.

Yes Neon-it is a huge thing to consider also.

Maca is an electrician.
GG is a Custodial Supervisor for the school district.
Mimi is an office manager for the local office that handles state funded day care assistance to families in need.

(I don't work-I homeschool the kids).

Maca would prefer not to be IN a city-He'd prefer 5-20 acres of privacy.
But for work purposes and open-minded socializing-close enough to drive to a city (1-2 hours) is a good plan.

:)

Don't mind snow-just need shorter winters (6-9 months is too much) and preferably warmer weather overall. :)

I don't think California will happen. :)

Would love to go to Canada, but I don't see that happening.
How would one even DO that, move to Canada....

Last edited:
To move to Canada you would have to have a sponsor either through a job or personal sponsor who would be willing to support you for X-amount of time if you aren't working. This would require a visa or immigration papers AND passports for everyone. If any of you has a record, even a minor conviction, this could definitely affect whether that person would even be allowed across the border.

Toronto is poly, sex & kink positive as well, lol.

Lots of luck finding a place to live that's warmer AND sunnier, lol. :).

LR, I highly recommend that you research Burlington, VT (and the surrounding area). The cost of living is not prohibitive, there is an airport, Lake Champlain, and it IS a "big city" by Vermont standards, but it is also a couple hours from Montreal, and about 5 hours from Boston. If you can find jobs there, I think you'd like it. That's a BIG "IF" though, in this economy.

BTW I don't live there - I live in Massachusetts, but I love Vermont.

Last edited:
Seattle has a large sex-positive community - great for poly & kinky people.

San Francisco, CA

Vancouver, BC

Victoria, BC

New York.

I think just about any of the major centres would be good.

A link for you: http://www.lovemore.com/locallinks.php#wa
Seattle is AWESOME! We almost moved BACK about a month and a half ago. Then we met a new interest, and well....yeah we decided not to. We found that Seattle has a HUGE swingers community, and almost everyone there is open to whatever. ;)

Seattle has a huge community that is really active. They even have a center for sex positive communities! I am just finding out about stuff now in order to hopefully go and visit.

I know...and yet Florida has one of the largest swinger communities in the United States. :/ Mainly because of all the nudist resorts, which I think ALL of them are either swinger/gay/poly friendly. Caliente is one of the best, and is only about an hour and a half away from my house. :D Never been there though.... :(

Finding the right place in VA might be good as far as work goes. If you can find a large home. They pay 2000 dollars a month for day care. I know someone who left her husband converted her basement and now brings in 12,000 a month. She has to offer so many days in advance. Plus there are areas, where people could give two poops. But there are areas where it is very christain centric. Very rule but beautiful areas, and large homeschooling population. HSLDA is headquartered there.

California has horrible homeschooling laws and you should definately make that a factor in your search. NJ has some rule areas and people not caring good homeschooling laws and some good opportunity for rule land and computing distance for jobs. Not many people who care and rural area close enough to manhattan for their groups.

Home schooling laws are critical in this search as well. HSLDA has a list of them.

Seattle has a huge community that is really active. They even have a center for sex positive communities! .

Isn't that everybody? I just wonder who would classify themselves as "sex negative" Lol ;)

California has horrible homeschooling laws

I'll admit to not knowing all the laws, but I know LOTS of homeschoolers all with kids going on to 4 year universities. No one even bats an eye if you say you are homeschooling. If you’re a stay-at-home parent, it's almost expected. I do know that there are resources through the some counties that offers free curriculum, testing and credentialed advisors for parents and students.

Isn't that everybody? I just wonder who would classify themselves as "sex negative" Lol ;)
Actually its more like some people would call other people sex negative. Simply because sex means something different to year them. Mostly those who are in to casual sex and see those that aren't as sex negative.

This is for another thread and has been talked about eslewhere though. Just sayin' :D

LR,

I can second Neon's recommendation of VT. It's a pretty liberal, laid back place. It is a bit upscale these days though and it's pretty rural. With Maca being an electrician he can always find work. Other than that it may be a bit more difficult.
Also as Passport (?) mentioned, Seattle area is pretty liberal and open. Most of the west coast is.

Stay in touch !

GS

Homeschool laws area also a big deal -yes.
I have those saved in my computer though. :)
Thanks to our awesome homeschool programs here! :)

I'll be back-I am trying to get a very moody and emotional 3 year old off to sleep.

Back