Frustrated don't know what to do

msbiman

I came out Bi-, when I was 17. Over the next few years I was in two poly relationships, it just seemed natural to me. In both I had both a bi-husband and a wife. There are things I need emotionally from each sex. It was great, all of my needs were being met, everyone was happy, things couldn't get any better. Then one day I found myself single, my husband was transferred out of state with his job, and our wife wanted to go with him.

A year later I meet this woman, and totally fall in love, the problem is that she is totally monogamous, I discussed, my previous life with her, I held nothing back. She said, "OK, so what...". I knew she was not interested in a poly relationship. I decided that I would just learn to live monogamous. Somehow, I was able to overlook my needs for a man. So we got married, and have been for the last 17 years.

Eleven years ago I became disabled due to some undiagnosed congenital health issues. It took some getting used to, for the first three years, I was confined to a wheelchair. I had to get used to being totally helpless. During this time, my need of having a man in my life, returned. Then I got some better, for the most part I am now able to take care of myself. I can go to the grocery store by myself, as long as I'm only after one or two things.

About five years ago, I became totally impotent due to my health problems. It happened over a few months, I felt that my manhood had been ripped away from me, I felt like half a man. But, as horrible as I felt about myself, what hurt the worst was that it was not fair to my wife, why should she have to do without just because I was useless. Because, my main concern was my wife, I did not have time to feel sorry for myself, I was determined to do whatever I had to do to meet her needs. We visited an adult bookstore, and bought some toys, and did all the things that can be done without me working. Things went fine for a couple of years, but in the last year I've gotten so I can't even do most of those things. Now I am really starting to feel sorry for myself.

In the last five to six months, my need to have a man in my life has really exploded. I'm at almost at a point where I can't live without a man. I sat down and typed up a letter to my wife, between my conditions, and my meds, my memory and concentration are not real good. So I figured I could type it up, and take a week to reread it, and tweak it so that I had it perfect. It explained to her my feelings, and my anguish, it explained that what hurt me the most was her needs not being met. I reminded her of when I lived the poly life, and suggested she think about the possibility of us adding another bi-man, to our relationships and form a triad. That way her needs would be met, I could have my emotional needs met since I really don't care about having sex with anybody of either sex, I just really need my emotional needs met. I explained all the combinations of people that was possible. She was not at all interested, she just could not handle the thought of three people together, she could not handle all the emotional issues of having a triad.

Now I'm left sitting here, trying to decide what my next move is. I don't know which way to go, or what to do. I'm going crazy, I'm losing my mind, my heart is breaking, my soul is being torn apart. I go to bed at night, wait until my wife goes to sleep, then cry my self to sleep. There is a difference between a need and a want. A need is air, water, a want it electricity a candy bar. I have a need for the touch of man, to be held in the arms of a man, a need like food is a need. I wish I could talk her into just trying a triad. I know at least some people reading this right now are saying, just go find yourself a man. I can't do that, I love my wife too much to cheat on her. I love her so much that it is impossible for me to cheat. I have told her that since she is not interested in a triad, that if she wanted to get some on the side that would be ok with me. But, I can't cheat on her, I had a chance one time, I was at a friends house one day, and he came on very strongly, even taking off his shirt exposing his sculpted chest, and chiseled rock hard abs. It was hard to walk out, but I did, I could not stay, no matter how much I wanted to, I couldn't do it.

Thanks for listening, I do appreciate it. I just don't know what I'm going to do.

What do other people do when they can't have what they want?

And I'm sorry, but yes, it IS a want. If it were a need, like food or water, you would be dead by now, due to the lack.

I don't mean to be harsh, but when you claim it's an emotional need, and then talk about his sculpted chest, and rock hard chiseled abs, I question how much it's really an emotional want.

You have also tried to pass this off as wanting it 'for your wife,' but she doesn't want it. Don't try to push it on her.

Most people at some point in life will face crisis upon crisis. The last 8 years of my life has been one crisis heaped on another, and the person I felt I couldn't live without, I simply could not have. So I have some idea how you feel, and do not speak lightly. I'm telling you what works when life hits hard.

The answer is to become stronger, to focus on what you can do, to deepen your faith, turn to God, start focusing on other people and putting some good in the world each day instead of on your own problems, keep a gratitude list. Consider seeing a counselor. Get out for whatever physical exercise you can get. Eat well. Change your thinking.

Again, I do not say these things lightly. I've been there. In some ways, circumstance-wise, I still am. But the fact is, to a large extent, we all choose our own happiness, and I have chosen to find joy in the many good things in my life, rather than constantly focus on the problems. The problems are very real. But so are the good things. It's all about where we choose to keep our attention, and what we tell ourselves about it.

I applaud you for refusing to cheat on your wife.

Not all needs are life and death. People have needs for basic survival - food, water, shelter. But they also have emotional needs, things they require in order to be happy, healthy, and whole.

Humans are social creatures. We have social needs - yes, needs, not wants - and if these are not met, then it affects our health and our happiness.

msbiman, you say your wife is not at all interested in a triad. That's her choice -- it's not for everybody, and you have to respect her monogamy. But does that mean the discussion is over? I don't think so.

Whether her needs are being met or not, you're doing all you physically can to meet them. Don't beat yourself up over it. Let her know that if she wishes to have an extramarital partner, you support that; and that if she doesn't, you support that as well. But also tell her that this is your need and even if she doesn't want a triad, you still feel you need the company of a man in your life. Give her some time with the idea, don't push it too fast. But if it truly is a need, then you'll have to figure out some way to satisfy it.

Of course, you have two needs and it may not be possible to meet them both. You have your wife and it sounds like she fills an important role in your life. Then there's your need for male company. It could be that it's impossible for you to have both of these needs met at the same time, and then you will have to choose which is the bigger need.

When someone is stranded in the jungle, they need food shelter and water... it's not usually possible to get all three at the same time, you have to prioritize. If it's pouring rain, then shelter is probably your biggest concern. If it's fairly nice out, then you'll probably want to get water before you go looking for grubs. You catch my drift?

@ SchrodingersCat, Thank you so so much for your reply. Finally somebody that understands what I am going through:) Your analogies are spot on. My wife is the most important person that I've had in my life. Of course I don't want to do anything to hurt her, or God forbid lose her. But it is getting to the point that I may have to do something. It is so nice to talk to someone that understands. I've tried talking to some other bisexuals, and they had not clue.

The problem I am going to run into is one I've had before if I find a man that is willing to just cuddle with me, they are going to want something in return, usually sex, and even though I loved having sex with a man, (I am always bottom when with a man, I need him to be a complete man, it goes back to the emotional needs I have for a man). anyway, I loved sex with men but right now I don't want that. I need to feel like he's doing it because he loves me, not because he's after sex.

I guess I could place an ad on a bi dating site, or craigslist, or something and just see what i can find. I'm hoping that talking about it to someone that understands will clear my mind so I can think clearly, instead of making a decision based on an emotional overload.

Thanks again SchrodingersCat I really appreciate it.

I just don't know what I'm going to do.

You are poly.
You married a monogamous person and agreed to be monogamous
You've discovered that you are more resistant to being monogamous than you initially anticipated
You want another lover but... here's where it gets murky

I suggest separating out what you want and what you want for your wife. I'm sure both things are important to you but they are two totally different issues and should be looked at individually.

YOU want a boyfriend. Have you told your wife this? Has she forbidden you from taking on another lover? Remember, this is about what YOU want.

You want your WIFE to have a boyfriend. She doesn't want one. Fixating on the idea of sharing a lover seems to be muddying the water for you so splash some water on your face and realize that the answer is "no". She has told you she doesn't want to be in a triad... drop it.

You are poly.
You married a monogamous person and agreed to be monogamous
You've discovered that you are more resistant to being monogamous than you initially anticipated
You want another lover but... here's where it gets murky

That pretty sums it up, but i would still be ok with being monogamous, if it wasn't for my health getting bad, and bringing up all those old feelings of being so helpless useless and wothless etc... You could say I want a lover that would not be a wrong description, but I'm not interested in sex.

Marcus said:
I suggest separating out what you want and what you want for your wife. I'm sure both things are important to you but they are two totally different issues and should be looked at individually.

Interesting concept, one I had not thought of and it makes a lot of sense, I will definitely sit down and do just that.

Marcus said:
YOU want a boyfriend. Have you told your wife this? Has she forbidden you from taking on another lover? Remember, this is about what YOU want.

No she hasn't actually said no, but I haven't actually sat down and talked to her about that actually happening. I have explained that I need a man's emotional support, but not the possibility of it happening.

Marcus said:
You want your WIFE to have a boyfriend. She doesn't want one.

I must not have expressed myself clearly. I told her that IF SHE WANTED ONE that was ok with me. I did not care if she did, but IT IS HER DECISION.

Marcus said:
Fixating on the idea of sharing a lover seems to be muddying the water for you so splash some water on your face and realize that the answer is "no". She has told you she doesn't want to be in a triad... drop it.

Ok again, you are the second person that has read things this way, so it is more than likely that I did not express myself clearly.

I presented her with the idea, and told her that IT WAS HER DECISION IF WE DID IT OR NOT. I asked her to think about it for a week before she said no. then IF SHE WANTED TO DO IT, WE WOULD. IF NOT I WOULD NEVER BRING IT UP AGAIN. What did I say that makes you think I am constantly bringing it up?

Is it because I came to a poly site to ask this question? If that is it, I tried to talking to some bisexuals gay, and straight people, but they had no clue about not being totally monogamous. So I came to a place where I thought people would have enough of an open mind that they could understand my situation. And help me to sort out my situation so I could make the best decision for me and my wife. I have had one person respond that completely understood what I am going through, then two other people responded completely twisting what I though I had wrote. Maybe I need to go back and revise my post to make myself more clear. But, I don't know if I was not clear or if like everybody else I've tried talking to, straight people gay people, bisexual people, all of those people not only did not understand but got hostile toward me because I discussed a situation that was not totally monogamous. I thought that poly people would be open minded, after all is that not what poly people ask everyone else to do, have an open mind?

I am sorry you are struggling. You seemed overwhelmed all in a whoosh. Is that how you are feeling? :(

Maybe you could take the need inventory -- circle the things that resonate. Then figure out what behavior you could to to achieve that need being met -- by you, wife, another, etc.

You may feel the need for male companionship... I'm not going to argue that. But I don't think it is the ONLY need. You seem to have many layers going on at the same time which seems to add to the load.

Could take it one thing at a time. How you organize these in order of priority is up to you. This is just me identifying some of what resonates to me as a stranger on the outside. I could be wrong.

What could you ID as layers? What resonates to you?

Could ask your wife simply about her unwillingness to participate in a polyship.

1) Is this a hard limit -- no, it will never change?
2) Or a soft limit -- that could change in time?

Depending on her answer... however hard it feels? It's basically this for your next steps --

1) Learn about polyshiping together -- slowly. Not rush into it. Give it time to see if her willingness changes from a better informed/prepared space.

2)Let go of the want to be in a polyship with her and a man. One of the players in this dream (your wife) is not willing and able. So let go of the dream of wanting to be in polyship with HER.

3) Then decide... do I want to be in polyship or not?

a) YES! I still want to be in polyship with a man. Since I will not cheat on my wife it means breaking up with her first, cleanly, ethically.

b) NO. I don't want to divorce my wife. I value that higher than I value being with a man. So I give up the want to polyship.​

What need does being with a man fulfill for you?

You talk about being impotent and no longer being able to share sex with your wife in the way that you want -- with an erect penis. Is your need the need to accept yourself as you are? You seem to feel like a failed lover with your wife and your "failed penis." You seem to crave a man to be a bottom to -- is this so that you can feel like "fully functional lover?" Is that part of it?

If so, could the underlying need be to making peace with your health conditions and not letting your illness define your value or worth as a person?​

This idea of you being a "complete man" comes up a few times.

Are you not complete already in yourself? :confused: You need others to validate you? Is the need to learn to self-validate?

These thinking behaviors -- perhaps your need is to be at peace of mind. So the behavior you could do next is work to overcome this thinking behavior since these thoughts bring you down?​

You talk about emotional needs that are not met by your wife

What are they? How does she not meet them?

Maybe what you are after from your wife is that you need her acceptance that you are bi, and you need the ability to talk about it freely rather than bury that side of you?

Maybe what you need from your wife is protection? Support? Nurture? Empathy and sympathy as a serious patient person? Is she able to provide the support you need as a chronic patient? Or does she add to your patient burden? (Whether on purpose or not?)

Something else?

If so, the you have a need for understanding of various kinds from your wife. That's different conversations to share with her and not only "be in a polyship with me" type conversation.​

Could keep working to better define your need layers with need type words.

Again -- could take the need inventory "I want a relationship with a man" -- that's one method to achieve a need. The need is for connection. What you want to do to get it -- is to have a relationship with a man. Whether that is the only way or not -- who knows? But the need is for connection.​

As a chronic patient -- maybe you also need some counseling for coping? Or a patient support group?

With your mental health and emotional even as your physical health is on the decline? Maybe your spiritual health has also taken a ding?

It's hard to live knowing there is never going to be a cure. There is a grieving time for that. Have you completed that?

When you are a chronic patient, and there is no cure? There is only management. That's chronic patient land. Most people experience only acute illness -- get a cold or a flu or something, it stinks for a while, heal and get better and it is over, move on.

Chronic patients don't get that -- it is never "over." It is your way of life, it never goes away. Every doc appt, every medication time, every change in the household routine to accommodate is a reminder that there is no cure, there is no "over." And sometimes you get tired of feeling like a patient and you want to feel like a PERSON.

Is that some of the need? To feel like a PERSON and not like an illness?

You mention being active in groups -- do they meet your need for patient support? Or do you need more/different? What do you do to tend to your spiritual health?​

What happened 5-6 mos ago in your health picture?

That is triggering this new "YAAAAH!?" Maybe that could give you clues? :confused:

I note that you write about being wheelchair bound, being impotent -- both events sparked an increase in the "YAHHH!" for a guy or for penis-related sex with your wife. So could examine what happened more recently as a trigger to this latest "Yaaah!" Maybe solving that could help alleviate your yucky feelings.​

i would still be ok with being monogamous, if it wasn't for my health getting bad, and bringing up all those old feelings of being so helpless useless and wothless etc...

Here it sounds like the problem is NOT the shape of your marriage (a monoship) but your old feelings and thoughts of you being "useless and worthless."

This seems to be the underlying theme -- so could spend time sorting this area out FIRST.

Could focus on resolving those feelings/thoughts. Because if you do not, even with a new relationship shape, a new BF and your wife?

Or carrying on with your established marriage and monoship with wife?

Either way in either relationship model -- it's still going to be there under the surface disturbing your peace of mind. :(

Hang in there.
Galagirl

Last edited:
What do other people do when they can't have what they want?

And I'm sorry, but yes, it IS a want. If it were a need, like food or water, you would be dead by now, due to the lack.

There is more than one kind of need, there are physical needs you can not do without, like food water. there are emotional needs, emotional needs will not kill you if you don't get it. But they will cause you to have some very serious mental health problems, such as severe anxiety, paranoia, depression, psychosis, and several other serious issues. Serious issues that can require extended stays in a psych ward, being comatose, or worst case suicide. so next time think about all the possible issues before telling someone they don't know what they are talking about.

WhatHappened said:
I don't mean to be harsh, but when you claim it's an emotional need, and then talk about his sculpted chest, and rock hard chiseled abs, I question how much it's really an emotional want.

When you start a sentence with "I don't mean to be Harsh", you know good and well that you are going to be harsh. Now, I mentioned what he looked like as in "even though he looked that good, I walked out anyway because I want an emotional connection, not a physical one". Since you misunderstood I can understand how you confused the rest of that.

WhatHappened said:
You have also tried to pass this off as wanting it 'for your wife,' but she doesn't want it.

I don't understand why you said this, you don't know me, why do you assume that I can't love my wife enough that I want to do whatever I have to do to make sure her needs are met. You are right she said she did not want it, which brings me to my next point

WhatHappened said:
Don't try to push it on her.

What makes you think I am pushing it on her? I NEVER said anything close to something that would make you think I am putting it on her. I said I came up with the idea, I presented it to her and told her it was her decision, if she wanted to we would, if she didn't want it, I would never bring it up again, and she said no, so I dropped it. What part of that is putting it on her? Maybe you think that because that is what you would do, but I'm not like that. I take responsibility for everything I do or think, or say.

WhatHappened said:
Most people at some point in life will face crisis upon crisis. The last 8 years of my life has been one crisis heaped on another, and the person I felt I couldn't live without, I simply could not have. So I have some idea how you feel, and do not speak lightly. I'm telling you what works when life hits hard.

It is true that everyone will face a crisis in their life. I hate that you have had a rough time the last 8 years, sincerely I hate you had to go through that. Especially since you could not have that person. I am sure you do have some idea, I said some idea. Don't even talk to me about how to get through when life gets hard. Have you ever been to the point you wanted to die. You know you can't do it yourself because you are just not that kind of person, but you still want to die?

WhatHappened said:
The answer is to become stronger, to focus on what you can do, to deepen your faith, turn to God, start focusing on other people and putting some good in the world each day instead of on your own problems, keep a gratitude list. Consider seeing a counselor. Get out for whatever physical exercise you can get. Eat well. Change your thinking.

You don't even know what it means to be strong. If you ever experienced one-third of what I have lived through you would die from stress. Trust me I keep my mind on other people, and off myself as much as possible, I am actually active on 15 support forums, and do my best to help as many people as possible, if I didn't my heart, lungs, liver. brain and the rest of my body would just stop functioning. If I told you what I've lived through you would call me a liar because nobody can live through that much, when it comes to surviving I am an expert. First I can't afford a counselor, second I came here hoping to find someone that understood my situation, or would at least try to understand it, instead I get someone that only criticizes everything I said instead of trying to help.

WhatHappened said:
Again, I do not say these things lightly. I've been there. In some ways, circumstance-wise, I still am. But the fact is, to a large extent, we all choose our own happiness, and I have chosen to find joy in the many good things in my life, rather than constantly focus on the problems. The problems are very real. But so are the good things. It's all about where we choose to keep our attention, and what we tell ourselves about it.

For the most part I agree with everything you said. But there are times that it takes more than positive thinking to maintain a healthy mind. Which is where my (emotional) need for a man comes in. There was a time in my life that the fantasy of having a man to take care of, and protect me is the only thing that kept me going, it is the only thing that kept me from succumbing to what other people wanted for me. There was another time that if I had not had a man in my bed every night (no sex at all for over two years, just him holding me) I would not have lived through the hell I was suffering through. There are times that if we don't keep our attention on what is trying to kill us, it will sneak up right next to you and very quickly slit your throat, and you will never see it coming.

WhatHappened said:
I applaud you for refusing to cheat on your wife.

Thank you for saying this, I do appreciate it.

Can you accept that neither your wife or you can be happy (at the same time) in a romantic relationship because your needs are incompatible?

You are at a crossroads. I am sorry you are struggling. :(

Maybe you could take the need inventory -- circle the things that resonate. Then figure out what behavior you could to to achieve that need being met -- by you, wife, another, etc.

Thank you so much for your response, trying to help me understand what is going on, and to help me work out the situation.
First of all, I tried to take the needs assessment, registered everything but could not figure out how to do the assessment.

GalaGirl said:
You may feel the need for male companionship... I'm not going to argue that. But I don't think it is the ONLY need. You seem to have layers.

Could take it one thing at a time.

you are right about the layers, I'm not sure I could separate them enough to take care of each separately, but it's worth a shot.

GalaGirl said:
Ask your wife simply about her unwillingness to participate in a polyship.

1) Is this a hard limit -- no, it will never change?
2) Or a soft limit -- that could change in time?

Depending on her answer... however hard it feels?

The problem is that when I presented the idea to her, I promised her that if she said no I would never bring it up again. If she ever changed her mind, she could bring it up, but I never will. I always keep my promises.

GalaGirl said:
It's basically

1) Let go of the want to be in a polyship with her and a man. One of the players in this dream (your wife) is not willing and able. So let go of the dream of wanting to be in polyship with HER.

2) Then decide... do I want to be in polyship or not?

a) YES! I still want to be in polyship with a man. Since I will not cheat on my wife it means breaking up with her first, cleanly, ethically.

b) NO. I don't want to divorce my wife. I value that higher than I value being with a man. So I give up the want to polyship.​

I just have to give up the whole idea, I made that decision when I married her. I knew what I was giving up, And had it not been for my health, I would not be considering it now. Which I stopped considering it, she said no, I'll never think about it again.

GaleGirl said:

Being safe, being protected, being cared for, being loved, being secure, being taken care of, feeling his warm body against mine, his arms around me, making me calm, contented, feeling safe

GalaGirl said:
You talk about being impotent and no longer being able to share sex with your wife in the way that you want -- with an erect penis. Is your need the need to accept yourself as you are?

You feel like a failed lover with your wife and your "failed penis" -- but you crave a man to be a bottom to -- so that you can feel like "fully functional lover?"

Is that part of it? Making peace with your health conditions and not letting your illness define your value or worth as a person?

Everything you said makes sense, and is quite possibly be what is going on. But, when this first happened, she was my main concern, I did not want her to not have her needs to be met, so for a few years we did other things in place of intercourse. We bought some toys, including a strap on, which worked fine for a while, until I got to where I could not even do those things.
Now the thing is when I first started craving a man, I was 5y/o, and dreamed of having a big strong man come and protect me from what I was going through I was always the bottom because I wanted to be with a man, and if he was a real man he had to be top. It is not the "Fully functional lover"

Yes, I still need to make peace with my illness, which is hard to do considering that I know that unless I die first, I will be paralyzed from the waist down eventually.

[quoteGalaGirl]This idea of you being a "complete man" seems odd to me. Are you not complete already in yourself? :confused: You need others to validate you? Is the need to learn to self-validate?

These thinking behaviors -- perhaps your need is to be at peace of mind. So the behavior you could do next is work to overcome this thinking behavior since these thoughts bring you down?[/quote]

You make some great points here, and it's something I am going to work on it.

quote=GalaGirl]You talk about emotional needs that are not met by your wife -- what are they? How does she not meet them? Maybe what you are after from your wife is that you need her acceptance that you are bi, and you need the ability to talk about it freely rather than bury that side of you? If so, the you have a need for understanding from your wife. That's a different conversation to share with her than "be in a polyship with me." [/quote]

The first question is really hard to answer. It is extremely hard to explain, it's just that there is a difference in cuddling with a man, or cuddling with a woman. My needs for a man come from most of the stuff I went through when I was young. For a long time I wished for a man to come protect me, and save me. I still have those same fears, and memories of what happened. Does that explain what she doesn't meet, or how she doesn't meet them.

You are right about the need to talk about it outloud, there are times I can talk about it and joke about it, it's when I try to have a serious conversation with her, that things get awkward.

The part "being incomplete", was only because of the impotency.

GalaGirl said:
Could keep working to better define your needs with need words.

"I want a relationship with a man" -- that's one method to achieve a need. The need is connection.

Again -- could take the need inventory

Very Good points

[quoteGalaGirl]And speaking as a chronic patient -- maybe you also need some counseling for coping with your mental health even as your physical health is on the decline? It's hard to live knowing there is never going to be a cure. There is only management. That's chronic patient land. Sometimes you get tired of feeling like a patient and you want to feel like a PERSON.

I note that you write about being wheelchair bound, being impotent -- both sparked an increase in the "YAHHH!" for a guy or for penis-related sex with your wife.

What happened 5-6 mos ago in your health picture? That is triggering this new "YAAAAH!?" Maybe that could give you clues? :confused:

Galagirl[/QUOTE]

I took counseling for a couple of years, and reached a point where I wasn't improving.

You asked about 5-6 mos ago, It actually started about 2-3 years ago when the impotency came on. I have been blocking the thoughts for all this time, and things just built up to the point that I could not block them anymore, so I had to start thinking about it, trying to find a way to work something out so I did not have to do this. But, nothing I tried worked, with each failure, I needed this more. I know I do not have the option of a poly relationship, but I've tried talking to a couple of straight friends, utter disaster. Tried talking to some Bi and gay friends just disaster. So I said talk to some poly people they will be familiar with my situation, and would be open minded enough to help me work things out.

First of all, I tried to take the needs assessment, registered everything but could not figure out how to do the assessment.

I meant just print out the page on paper and then circle the ones that resonate for you right now with a pen. It's not an online quiz. It's just a list of needs.

you are right about the layers, I'm not sure I could separate them enough to take care of each separately, but it's worth a shot.

Well, could try to group them into themes or groups. For example --

• Things I can do today.
  • Things I can do, but will take a few weeks/months.
  • Things I can do, but might take years.

The problem is that when I presented the idea to her, I promised her that if she said no I would never bring it up again. If she ever changed her mind, she could bring it up, but I never will. I always keep my promises.

Then it is off the table.

Could stop bringing it up and check it off your list and focus on the other areas of discontent.

Being safe, being protected, being cared for, being loved, being secure, being taken care of, feeling his warm body against mine, his arms around me, making me calm, contented, feeling safe.

Those are the need words -- the need to feel safe, secure, loved, etc.

Are you willing / able to feel these things with your wife? A friend? What blocks you from feeling these things with wife or a friend?

You and I are using some words differently. All this?

Everything you said makes sense, and is quite possibly be what is going on. But, when this first happened, she was my main concern, I did not want her to not have her needs to be met, so for a few years we did other things in place of intercourse. We bought some toys, including a strap on, which worked fine for a while, until I got to where I could not even do those things.

This is not "in place of intercourse" to me. To me this stuff IS sexual intercourse activities. Just not "penis-in-vagina" or "penis-in-anus" sexual intercourse activity.

Now the thing is when I first started craving a man, I was 5y/o, and dreamed of having a big strong man come and protect me from what I was going through I was always the bottom because I wanted to be with a man, and if he was a real man he had to be top. It is not the "Fully functional lover"

I don't know how you define "real man" besides "able to get and maintain an erection." You could examine this. Because a lot of your self worth seems tied up in your erection working or not.

To me "fully functional lover" means a lover who is able to share sexual activity with a partner to mutual happiness. You do not seem happy sharing sex activities with your wife. You seem to focus on the things you don't get to share anymore, so your focus in life is on LOSS a lot.

No wonder you feel sad a lot. :(

Yes, I still need to make peace with my illness, which is hard to do considering that I know that unless I die first, I will be paralyzed from the waist down eventually.

I am sorry to hear your illness will include this loss of mobility. It is hard. So redefining "sex share" will come for you and wife earlier than some couples who age together and don't redefine it til later on. You will have to plan ahead for that future.

In the meanwhile... that future is not yet here. So... could stop pre-worrying and focus on what is here RIGHT NOW.

The first question is really hard to answer. It is extremely hard to explain, it's just that there is a difference in cuddling with a man, or cuddling with a woman. My needs for a man come from most of the stuff I went through when I was young. For a long time I wished for a man to come protect me, and save me. I still have those same fears, and memories of what happened. Does that explain what she doesn't meet, or how she doesn't meet them.

Are you saying she cannot offer you "protection" or "save you" like a man could because she is not a man?

What is the threat you are facing right now? :confused:

You are right about the need to talk about it outloud, there are times I can talk about it and joke about it, it's when I try to have a serious conversation with her, that things get awkward.

Get awkward for WHO? You or her or both?

• Is she willing to talk to you about your bisexual feelings? Yes or no?
  • Is she ABLE to hear it and converse? Yes or no? If no, what blocks her? Can she explain?
  • Are YOU willing to talk to her about your bisexual feelings with her? Yes or no?
  • Are you ABLE to talk to her about your bisexual feelings with her? Yes or no? If no, what is blocking you?
The part "being incomplete", was only because of the impotency.

Sounds like you are having a hard time with accepting impotency in the bigger health picture -- esp since you are facing a future with lower body paralysis. I am sorry. That is hard. No doubt about it.

But how you talk to yourself matters. If you spend a lot of time telling yourself you are "broken and incomplete" and so on... does this ADD to your life enjoyment or TAKE AWAY?

You asked about 5-6 mos ago, It actually started about 2-3 years ago when the impotency came on. I have been blocking the thoughts for all this time, and things just built up to the point that I could not block them anymore, so I had to start thinking about it, trying to find a way to work something out so I did not have to do this. But, nothing I tried worked, with each failure, I needed this more. I know I do not have the option of a poly relationship, but I've tried talking to a couple of straight friends, utter disaster. Tried talking to some Bi and gay friends just disaster. So I said talk to some poly people they will be familiar with my situation, and would be open minded enough to help me work things out.

I do not understand that whole paragraph. Work WHAT things out? What is "it" -- you know what you are talking about, but other people cannot see into your mind to know. Could you fill in the gaps?

My problem with ______ actually started about 2-3 years ago when the impotency came on.

I have been blocking the thoughts of ______ for all this time.

______ just built up to the point that I could not block thoughts of ______ anymore. So I had to start thinking about _________.

Trying to find a way to work something out about the _______ so I did not have to do _________.

But, nothing I tried worked. With each failure, I needed ___________ more.

I know I do not have the option of a poly relationship, but I've tried talking to a couple of straight friends, utter disaster. Tried talking to some Bi and gay friends just disaster. So I said talk to some poly people they will be familiar with my situation, and would be open minded enough to help me work things out with ________.

I would like _______ (desired outcome) in the end. I need help getting there.​

Could you be willing to clarify?

Galagirl

Last edited:
I thought that poly people would be open minded, after all is that not what poly people ask everyone else to do, have an open mind?

Assuming that because a person is polyamorous that they have a particular type of "open mindedness" when it comes to hearing about other peoples relationship experiences is baseless.

If I have misinterpreted your situation then clarify... no need to get pissed off and start flinging insults about closed mindedness simply because your situation is not crystal clear to a bunch of strangers online.

I reminded her of when I lived the poly life, and suggested she think about the possibility of us adding another bi-man, to our relationships and form a triad. I wish I could talk her into just trying a triad

It came up a couple of times in your post. It is not a stretch to presume that you've got it on the brain and moving on from that idea would be helpful.

Last edited:
Could you perhaps not understand what we are hearing when you say you want your wife to be open to a triad? People here are answering as if it means what most everybody on this forum thinks it means - you date the guy, and your wife has to date the same guy. If she doesnt want to date, she wont want a triad. She might not mind if you want to date, but that doesn't mean she wants to date the same person you would. If she dates some other guy or lady, its not a it would be a V or an N where you date individually (and is most often the smartest thing to do) If you date and she doesn't, it'd be a mono-poly V.

Now if you actually do mean that you want her to agree whomever you're interested in regardless of her feelings on the matter, then I' have to agree with the comments people are making that you're taking issue with

She doesn't want a poly relationship. Drop it. Choose either poly or her. That's all that's left.

You don't even know what it means to be strong. If you ever experienced one-third of what I have lived through you would die from stress. .... second I came here hoping to find someone that understood my situation, or would at least try to understand it, instead I get someone that only criticizes everything I said instead of trying to help.

You do realize you're making that first statement to a strange on the internet with absolutely no clue, right? I'm not going to sit here and play one-up with you, but you DO realize you might be talking to someone with major health issues, or three missing limbs, or a single mother to ten kids, or a survivor of years of sexual or physical abuse, or any number of other things, right? I'm just pointing out that you should not tell strangers on the internet what they do or do not know about strength when you know next to nothing about them. :)

More importantly, I'm not criticizing you. I'm telling you straight up, that if you want to be happy, the only way, ultimately, is to change your thinking and outlook. Do it or don't. You came here asking for a way to get what you want. As pointed out, your desires and your wife's are incompatible, from the sounds of it. You most likely are not going to get what you want--a triad with your wife and a joint boytoy, right? That leaves you with the choices of:

• Be happy with just your wife.
  • Be happy with just a guy.
  • Be miserable.

Do as you will, it's no skin off my nose (although, as I said, you know nothing about my circumstances, and perhaps I don't actually HAVE a nose ;) ) but happiness always, for all of us, ultimately depends on finding joy within, not on getting what we think we need.

You do realize you're making that first statement to a strange on the internet with absolutely no clue, right? I'm not going to sit here and play one-up with you, but you DO realize you might be talking to someone with major health issues, or three missing limbs, or a single mother to ten kids, or a survivor of years of sexual or physical abuse, or any number of other things, right? I'm just pointing out that you should not tell strangers on the internet what they do or do not know about strength when you know next to nothing about them. :)

More importantly, I'm not criticizing you. I'm telling you straight up, that if you want to be happy, the only way, ultimately, is to change your thinking and outlook. Do it or don't. You came here asking for a way to get what you want. As pointed out, your desires and your wife's are incompatible, from the sounds of it. You most likely are not going to get what you want--a triad with your wife and a joint boytoy, right? That leaves you with the choices of:

• Be happy with just your wife.
  • Be happy with just a guy.
  • Be miserable.

Do as you will, it's no skin off my nose (although, as I said, you know nothing about my circumstances, and perhaps I don't actually HAVE a nose ;) ) but happiness always, for all of us, ultimately depends on finding joy within, not on getting what we think we need.
The missing option here is to be happy with a man and a woman who are poly.

The missing option here is to be happy with a man and a woman who are poly.

Yes, true. I didn't include that because he says he wants to continue being with his wife, whom he loves. So finding a different woman who's happy to be in a triad would mean leaving someone he loves. In short, still not getting what he really wants. But yes, it's an option.

Let me try this again, and try to correct my mistake of not being clear enough. I was stressed yesterday and well, and just screwed up.

Now, I came here after my efforts to find advice elsewhere failed, because no one else could understand the poly aspect of my problem. I was hoping that someone here would understand my need to have both my wife, and a man in my life. My objective is, since I now know that a triad is out of the question, what are my other options, and hopefully with the advice from here, I can choose what is the best option to present to my wife, ultimately the decision is hers, I will go along with whatever she wants.

I have went over GalaGirl's response, and picked out what I thought was the most important question's she had, and looking at other responses made.
I want to make this clear, when I suggested a triad to my wife, I promised if she was not interested I would not bring it up again. I have not, and will not bring it up to her again, I only bring it up here to inform you of what has happened. As far as I am concerned that idea does not even exist.

GalaGirl, made some suggestions about listing layers to work on, I have listed the time's she suggested, and will make that list in the next few days.
She made the observation that we are using words differently, I will do my best to be clear.

She asked "What needs does a man fulfill for you?"
To answer this I must go back to my childhood, at that time the thought of having a man represented being safe from abuse, security in that he would protect me, peace-no arguing/yelling/slamming doors, comfort, no fear, no hatred. This followed me through my entire life until I was about 18. Now when I get stressed out those old feelings always come back up. Then there are all the new feelings, depending on the situation, but I still crave him putting his arms around me an saying I will protect you, take care of all your problems, there is no need to be afraid, just lay your head on my chest and listen to my heart beat, I will not let anyone hurt you in any way, I will be your comforter.
Did I succeed in answering the question?

GalaGirl asked my definition of a "Real Man"
He would be strong both physically and emotionally, very masculine, a take charge person, (I hate to use this word, but I can't think of any other words) "butch",

She asked what was different between men and women for me, this is going to sound real sexist but I really don't mean it that way, I am for equal rights, this is just how I feel about my personal life, and why I dated the people I dated:
Women=Someone for me to take care of, someone to depend on me, someone I can comfort, be there for provide for
Men= Someone to take care of me, someone I can depend on, someone to comfort me, someone to provide for me, someone to keep me safe

There was some confusion about why I could not talk to my wife about my sexuality, and/or needs for a man.
The problem is that she is uncomfortable discussing those things. Even though I told her before we started dating about my sexuality and all about my past, and she promised she was ok with everything, there have been several times over the years that it has bothered her. If I spent too much time with a man she got jealous. ie...had a mechanic friend come over to the house to help me work on a car. We spent about four hours outside in plain site, she asked me if anything was going on between him and me since we spent so much time together. There have been several times that I have tried talking to her about something related to my sexuality or my past, and she would just get pissed off and not talk to me for a day or two. When I first started having problems with the impotency there was more than once she asked if I had decided to leave her for a man. Until I made her go with me to have my Dr. explain the problem.

GalaGirl asked about a "fully functional lover" and me being a bottom being related. Those are not related, I've always been a bottom. I just like being a bottom, I saw the men I dated as my protector, my husband, my caretaker, I was always submissive to him, so he could take care of me.
She also mentioned that I had said that we had done other things "instead" of intercourse, and she considered it to "be" intercourse, that makes perfect sense, I will phrase it differently in the future. Quote "To me "fully functional lover" means a lover who is able to share sexual activity with a partner to mutual happines".Your definition of a "fully functional lover" is great, I cover this in the next paragraph, but to summarize At this point I am completely unable to do anything of a sexual nature, so this phrase does not describe me.
You do not seem happy sharing sex activities with your wife. You seem to focus on the things you don't get to share anymore, so your focus in life is on LOSS a lot". I'm not sure what I said that sounded like I don't enjoy being with my wife, because I do, I love being with her, and making sure she is completely satisfied has thoroughly enjoyed herself. (keeping that pg wasn't easy). When it comes to her, I do focus on the things I used to love doing and can't anymore, I still want to do all those things, and I'm reminded every night that I can't do them anymore.

It also goes along with the next paragraph.
'
There was some confusion as I had talked about something in the last 5-6 months. I had stated that my need for a man had exploded in the last 5.6 months, she asked what happened in the last 5-6 months that caused my needs to explode. So wrote a paragraph about how it had actually been the last few years, that "it" was growing, I was not clear that "it" meant my need for a man (at this point I am working from memory as I did not write everything down so if I'm a little off what order everything was said please forgive me) anyway, To clarify and expand, about two years ago, one of my diseases has attacked my arms and hands, I lost most of the use of my legs many years ago, so now I am unable to do any of the things other than intercourse that we had been doing. So now we are unable to have any kind of sexual intimacy. We are still able to cuddle, but that is the only intimacy we can have. I told her several years ago, that if she wanted to have a sexual relationship on the side that was OK with me. As I said to begin with I have been in a couple of poly relationships, so it did not bother me any when she did. It did not last long, as he started trying to tell her what to do, that is not a good idea, I have her spoiled. When a man becomes impotent it does something to his psyche, it's like he loses part of himself, it hurts and it does a lot more. But, as bad as I felt about myself what hurt me the most is that she had to do without, I could no longer satisfy her needs, it is just not fair to her, she still has needs that I can not meet. That is why I suggested that she find some on the side. When that did not work, and then my need for a man grew to the point I could no longer keep it suppressed, I could no longer pretend that I did not need a man's comfort that is when I came up with the idea of the triad, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. She said no, so that idea no longer exist, now I'm left trying to decide what to do next.

Anneintherain, you mentioned the possibility that I wanted her to agree no matter how she felt, I could not do that to her, it's just the opposite, I can't say no to her, if she wants it she gets it, if she says no, that idea no longer exist. You mentioned doing a V or a N, I had thought about that, but the truth is I could never be with anyone else unless she was there with me. I love her to much to ever be with anyone else, not even if she gave me permission, I could not do it, not unless she was with me. See my problem.

GalaGirl's last thing on her response was the question, "what is desired outcome" i don't know the answer to that, I am hoping that i can find the information I need to make a decision about the possibilities I have.

I hope you are less stressed today.

Thanks for adding more info.

I'll try to summarize how I see it....

So your wife is there for you to "take care of" and this includes sexually. And since you cannot share sex with her, you plan to "take care of" her needs by encouraging her to seek another lover? Then you can feel good that you are doing your "job" -- you took care of her. Maybe not in the way you prefer but you did take care of her.

She had another lover, but they broke up. Now it is just you and her? Are you stressy because now you are NOT taking care of her because the lover is out of the picture? :confused:

But, as bad as I felt about myself what hurt me the most is that she had to do without, I could no longer satisfy her needs, it is just not fair to her, she still has needs that I can not meet.

How do you know she has sexual needs that are unmet? Does she say so? Is she unhappy with how things are right now?

Right now I see YOUR need to "take care of her" but what are her needs? Beyond the sexual ones?

In the meanwhile, you are unhappy in many ways over your illness(es) taking away from your physical health, mental health, emotional health. So you want someone to come take care of YOU.

For you that means a man. And for you, since your wife is not up for poly and you are not up for breaking up with her or cheating, that means coming to be ok with the fact that there will NOT be a man to protect you.

You will have to protect yourself and/or allow wife to help protect you.​

Is that where it is all at? The main highlights of what's on your plate?

GalaGirl's last thing on her response was the question, "what is desired outcome" i don't know the answer to that, I am hoping that i can find the information I need to make a decision about the possibilities I have.

Well, to me you seem to be here for choices:

• Polyship with wife (grey because she said no, I just list it for completeness)
    [*]Break up with wife. Then have rship with a man -- in polyship format or not. (you don't want to break up)
    [*]Cheat on wife. Then have rship with a man -- in polyship format or not. (you don't want to cheat.)
  • Learn to protect yourself.
  • Learn to allow wife to help protect you.
  • Ask wife to work on her jealousy so you can have male (not lover) friends because you feel isolated/lonely
  • Something else I cannot think of.
  • A mix and match of the above.

I can only guess that one desired outcome you might want could be

"To be at peace with myself and in my marriage with my wife."

Is that not it? I could guess wrong. Is there anything else you would have as a desired outcome? :confused:

Galagirl

Last edited:
Back