Knowing your audience

MonoVCPHG

When I was visiting my parents last week, I sat down with my sister and them for some great open discussion about Redpepper and family.

One of the questions asked was specifically how I could share a woman physically with another man. I responded very simply that any person who engages in an affair generally shares someone physically. My dad immediately got it..because it's true and because people understand the concept of affairs. (Anyone who has had a long term affair can tell you that not having sex with your "real" partner is not an effective concealment method.)

For every question they asked I responded not using words I am familiar with in the poly community but in the words that they understood within theirs.

I never once used the word polyamory. Why...because I would have had to explain it. The topic would have become about definitions and not about the details. No thanks, there's better ways to expend my energy. I did this once and the ensuing Google search set me back in establishing the character of Redpepper and Polynerdist.

I used the word non-monogamy because they understand monogamy and understand the hyphenated "non". My sister said "open relationship". Fine by me, I just expanded on the word to explain our dynamic as opposed to jumping on a soap box.

I will admit they stumped me when they asked how someone could "love" two people at once. I don't know how to explain that so I simply told them I see it in some people's eyes including Redpepper's'. I didn't even go into the often used "you can love more than one child" because the majority of people I know including my parents don't see that love as the same kind of love for a sexual partner...sorry to make it about sex:eek: Again I focussed on what I saw as opposed to trying to convince them; trying to would have done more harm then good because I wouldn't be speaking from a place of true feeling but from a place of observation of how others can be.

Basically the whole conversation went very smoothly and we covered a lot of information because we spoke the same language. I didn't try to teach them a new one before getting to what they really wanted to hear.

Did I take the easy way out? Perhaps but I was concerned about explaining the healthy dynamic of my life and not about promoting any ideal.

Would I have been a champion of the the poly community? Nope. I'll leave that up to the theorists and activists.

Did I give my family an understandable and believable example of something beyond traditional monogamous relationships…yes I did.

The result is my family has come to have a better understanding of my relationship with Redpepper. Even though they have known about my chosen family for over a year, they now accept them purely as my family.

Yes, part of communicating is being able to express it in a language they can understand. That is a good skill to have.

awesome post, thx for that. Always good to get some perspective, especially when it's from an intellect. I wonder if it makes any difference if your family see's your relationship as an open marriage or relationship vs polyamorous. I mean the word help people living the life explain to other lovers, but not necessarily to other people. Maybe there can be something learned from your example of good communication, in future conversations we all will encounter.

I tend to pretty much always use terms like "open marriage" or "non-monogamous" with people who aren't at all familiar with what polyamorous means. I don't think it's just some kind of easy way out, especially when you're going on to explain the details of your particular situation. When I use those terms, I still go on to make sure people understand that I have a real relationship with my boyfriend, he's not just some guy I sleep with. The important thing to me is that the truth of the situation gets conveyed, and if certain terminology would just muddy things for certain people, I avoid it.

Glad everything is going so well for you with your family!

*sigh*
Mono, I can only hope that one day my family will want to at least talk about my relationships. I'm experiencing so much growth and happiness, and they just don't want to hear it. They've said they 'don't want to talk about them until I'm done with them'.
I'm learning the futility of expending worrying and energy trying to figure out how to talk to people who don't want to listen.
I very wise person (several wise people actually ;) ) have told me to surround myself with people who love and accept me and just let my family be... for now. I need to stop worrying so much about their approval and acceptance like it's something I must have. It's so hard to let go of that family dynamic and just live life on my own terms.
I really like how you talked with your family about your relationship with RedPepper and her family. If the day ever comes when I can talk with my family, I may borrow some of your wise words :)

Very wise Mono. You should of been there to talk to my parents, although I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

We were too in it for too long to be able to even know the language of what they would find more acceptable and understanding. Perhaps talking to friends that we are already out to to get their opinion on what to say would of been helpful?

Very wise Mono. You should of been there to talk to my parents, although I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

We were too in it for too long to be able to even know the language of what they would find more acceptable and understanding. Perhaps talking to friends that we are already out to to get their opinion on what to say would of been helpful?

But it is done and despite the set backs we're all in a better place with it.

I think one of the big things is making sure you don't talk too soon. Letting things settle and "firm up" is a big part of being convincing in your ideals. If people sense that you are unsure of things it makes the effort of finding acceptance even harder I think.

NRE can sometimes make things seem a lot more easy than they actually will be. Talking to people is one of those things..we get excited and just blurt out whatever we have read or heard as oposed to communicating with what we know and feel for ourselves.

Timing is very important.

Did you take the easy way out? In my opinion, absolutely not! But does it matter? The way you took appears to have been successful and isn't that the most important thing?

Great for you!!!

Did I take the easy way out? Perhaps but I was concerned about explaining the healthy dynamic of my life and not about promoting any ideal.

I wouldn't think of it as an "easy way out" at all.

I know a lot of science, and science has a lot of very specific terms. Some of those terms have "common english" definitions that are quite different from the "scientific" definition. If I want to explain science to a layperson, it would be silly to use words they won't understand.

Using words that people don't understand does not promote communication, it just makes the speaker feel smart, and the listener feel confused.

I think that by using words they understand, you did the smart thing. And besides, even if it "the easy way" ... I've never seen the value in doing something the hard way if there's an easy way. That's just stupid.

Last edited:
I used the words "ethical non-monogamy" tonight when talking to a guy that I'm attracted to and he responded well to it!!! No one knows what polyamory is down here in the conservative South. I like the idea of speaking to people in terminology that they can understand......it's good common sense!!! :rolleyes:

I will admit they stumped me when they asked how someone could "love" two people at once. I don't know how to explain that so I simply told them I see it in some people's eyes including Redpepper's'. I didn't even go into the often used "you can love more than one child" because the majority of people I know including my parents don't see that love as the same kind of love for a sexual partner...sorry to make it about sex:eek: Again I focussed on what I saw as opposed to trying to convince them; trying to would have done more harm then good because I wouldn't be speaking from a place of true feeling but from a place of observation of how others can be.

Basically the whole conversation went very smoothly and we covered a lot of information because we spoke the same language. I didn't try to teach them a new one before getting to what they really wanted to hear.

Would I have been a champion of the the poly community? Nope. I'll leave that up to the theorists and activists.

Did I give my family an understandable and believable example of something beyond traditional monogamous relationships…yes I did.

The result is my family has come to have a better understanding of my relationship with Redpepper. Even though they have known about my chosen family for over a year, they now accept them purely as my family.

This made me smile soooooo big! It is exciting to read...again kind of like watching a movie. I am so happy for you Mono. Relief to have acceptance is precious!

I wonder if one were to explain loving more than one person as possible because each of us is unique. When you look at one person as you do (RedPepper) and see the beautiful energy she brings to your life, you love how she lives her life, relates to you as well as others and takes care of everyone in her life, how could you not love her? It can be negated just because you were married to someone else who has similar light but different qualities and just as powerful an energy for you? I mean how do you not love someone that touches you in some intimate, special way? How can you not explore it to its fullest? How do you turn the switch off because you are already involved with someone you love? I don't understand how people can walk away from a really remarkable person especially after they find out there is a connection and say well that relationship can't happen because I am not allowed- because THEY said I am not allowed to love more than one at a time. This has been such a struggle. It is very painful to not be able to enjoy or realize a relationship because of timing or legal impositions or unnatural but indoctrinated practices. Who said love has a limit? Seriously who is the guy that came up with that BS?

Anyway I am happy for you in a serene but buzzed way!;)

I wonder if one were to explain loving more than one person as possible because each of us is unique.

If it really doesn't make sense to me than how could I expect anyone else to understand it?

It can be negated just because you were married to someone else who has similar light but different qualities and just as powerful an energy for you? I mean how do you not love someone that touches you in some intimate, special way? How can you not explore it to its fullest? How do you turn the switch off because you are already involved with someone you love?

Sorry MG, but this is how I work and how many people like me work. One love replaces another. Yes I could still be married and love someone else....but I would have to fall out of love with my wife first. I've never had overlaps of intimate love. To explore another relationship to it's fullest (assuming I relate sexual intimacy as the "fullest extent" which I don't), would mean I no longer love Redpepper as a lover but am with her for external reasons..i.e. housing, family stability, old age security etc.

I don't understand how people can walk away from a really remarkable person especially after they find out there is a connection and say well that relationship can't happen because I am not allowed

This would require a desire and ability to maintain intimate connections with more than one person as I define "intimate" which refers to lovers.

A lot of people don't live under the impression that they are not allowed to pursue other relationships....they don't want to.

The common misconception of monogamy is that it is possession based. "You belong to me" so to speak. Actually the vows of monogamy are felt and spoken as "I give myself to you". Whatever legalities it implies are secondary to the exclusive nature of the commitment.

For some love is unlimited, for others it is. My love is limited, Redpepper's is not. There's no right or wrong in this...just difference.

One love replaces another. Yes I could still be married and love someone else....but I would have to fall out of love with my wife first. I've never had overlaps of intimate love. To explore another relationship to it's fullest would mean I no longer love Redpepper as a lover but am with her for external reasons..i.e. housing, family stability, old age security etc.

This would require a desire and ability to maintain intimate connections with more than one person as I define "intimate" which refers to lovers.

For some love is unlimited, for others it is. My love is limited, Redpepper's is not. There's no right or wrong in this...just difference.

The above sentences caught me. No right or wrong but replaceable love is a scary concept for me, as if it can have an expiration date or in its limitations doomed especially in a mono/poly situation. This really makes me kind of sad and anxious.:( Not your intent I am sure, but then again my brain is not wired as yours is.:eek:

So anyway, I am happy for you in your family situation, and the eventual move! Very happy to hear that development. Have a good weekend. And thank you for your insight. It always helps me think in a different way.

Last edited:
Believe me MG it scares and saddens me too sometimes. This is how it tends to be in mono relationships though. Its how Mono is.

He really did fall out of love with his wife when he had his affair. I just have to trust and go with what I see his actions to be in order to know I am loved by him.

Actions speak louder than anything to me. I need to be loved in actions. I need to know the world is safe for me to invest in by peoples actions. When I am actively not loved by him I will know he needs to move on.

It would break my heart but I understand now that our friendship also runs deep for him. I am his best friend and that to me means the world. That is what will keep us to our last breath because that is who he is. I trust that he won't abandon me just because he has fallen out of love wit me. I can't ask for anything more. For me its my love for him that will be until we die, for him its friendship. I can handle that. I have to handle that! I love him...

Last edited:
He really did fall out of love with his wife when he had his affair. .

I fell out of love before I had the affair. I loved my wife as a friend and partner but I was not "in love" with her. If I was "in love" with her there would not have been a window of opportunity for a new relationship to form. Replace was a bad word to use in my earlier comment.

One connection ended which opened up the possibility of a new connection. One did not replace the other. There was no intimate love to replace when I started the affair. Keep in mind my affair was also the result of a very lost mind and misunderstandning of sex and connection. I was a mess and it took six month of intense counselling to get to the root of why I acted the way I did.

Last edited:
The common misconception of monogamy is that it is possession based. "You belong to me" so to speak. Actually the vows of monogamy are felt and spoken as "I give myself to you". Whatever legalities it implies are secondary to the exclusive nature of the commitment.

This is a really strong statement. I totally get it! Because, to say "you belong to me" doesn't preclude "many people belonging to me" and therefore is not exclusively monogamous. But you can only give yourself to one person, otherwise you're sharing yourself with multiple people.

The above sentences caught me. No right or wrong but replaceable love is a scary concept for me, as if it can have an expiration date or in its limitations doomed especially in a mono/poly situation. This really makes me kind of sad and anxious.:( Not your intent I am sure, but then again my brain is not wired as yours is.:eek:

Polyamorous love can have an expiry date just as easily. Not all love lasts forever, period. The "multiplicity" of that love is irrelevant.

And tell ourselves what we want, but there is always the possibility that as partners, we truly are not living up to our full potential, and that through polyamory, our partners may discover that other people can treat them much better, and may realize that we don't treat them very well.

We tell ourselves that polyamory is so great because if your partner meets someone amazing, they "don't have to" leave you to be with them. But what if this amazing person makes them realize that you're sort of a jerk, that they deserve to be treated better, and since they found someone who already does so, what's the point in waiting around for you to change?

I believe that the thing that makes my marriage so great is that we both really want the other person to be happy and we both do everything in our reasonable power to make it so. We don't always succeed, hey we're human. But we both try, and we know that the other is trying, and that makes it worth the occasional struggles.

Last edited:
Polyamorous love can have an expiry date just as easily. Not all love lasts forever, period. The "multiplicity" of that love is irrelevant.

And tell ourselves what we want, but there is always the possibility that as partners, we truly are not living up to our full potential, and that through polyamory, our partners may discover that other people can treat them much better, and may realize that we don't treat them very well.
We tell ourselves that polyamory is so great because if your partner meets someone amazing, they "don't have to" leave you to be with them. But what if this amazing person makes them realize that you're sort of a jerk, that they deserve to be treated better, and since they found someone who already does so, what's the point in waiting around for you to change?

I believe that the thing that makes my marriage so great is that we both really want the other person to be happy and we both do everything in our reasonable power to make it so. We don't always succeed, hey we're human. But we both try, and we know that the other is trying, and that makes it worth the occasional struggles.

Yes I guess you are right in that poly love is not immune to expiration but if you are poly then the likelyhood of you falling out of love with someone you are committed to is unlikely just because you have the ability to explore relationships with others while keeping that current lover/spouse. Expiration is not exclusive to monogamy but it is certainly more common to have love end because of the need to have it do so in a monogamous situation before you can have the capacity to love another- marriage decline and divorce rates kind of prove that, right? Also, just to get back to the topic of the thread, the reason poly marriages/relationships are so great is that it is completely based on making your partner happy in just about every kind of imaginable way, and feeling real satisfaction in not only being a part of his/her happiness but also in just witnessing it. Just my opinion. Talk on.;)

Back