Choosing your forum name

redpepper

This is a public forum that thousands of people read. The likelihood of anyone knowing who you are is slim. Why not create yourself here with even less of a chance of someone knowing who you are?

Some people use the name they use everywhere on the internet when creating a profile for this forum. That can seem like a really good idea at the time, but when they start talking about sensitive issues and want to be anonymous, they sometimes find that they are not so anonymous because they have used their on line name.

I suggest that you pick a name that will not indicate who you are to anyone. That way you have the freedom to be as open and honest when you write as possible. :)

That is a great suggestion and my former partner has done just that as have I. What I am opposed to is her using my real name, as well as her partners in her posts. Yes, chances are slim that anyone would ever figure it out, but at this point in time for me its a trust issue, especially since she has put her opinions of me and has not always accurately portrayed herself or me in her posts. So I'm left to wonder if this is a forum for make-believe or a forum site for reality, or possibly a forum to leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves what they want to believe. Regardless, the boundaries of honesty and trustworthiness have been breeched here, on this site by my former girlfriend. As well as her repeatedly crossing of my boundaries in the relationship, and yes we are over with, and not amicably so.

Does anyone know if you can change your username? I wanted to change mine 5 minutes after I created it, but can't see an option for doing so. I wonder if I need to start from scratch...

Does anyone know if you can change your username? I wanted to change mine 5 minutes after I created it, but can't see an option for doing so. I wonder if I need to start from scratch...

The mods can change names, but there may be criteria I'm unaware of to have them do so. Or, they may give you a Stern Talking To, because if they had to change everyone's names, that would be a lot of work.

Or they might just do it. Someone with real authority will be along shortly.

The mods can change names, but there may be criteria I'm unaware of to have them do so.
Procedure as follows:
PM me.
Ask Nicely
Include the name you want it changed to, and an alternate in case it's already taken.
Be patient. Sometimes takes me a while to get around to it.

Thanks? We don't need no stinking thanks...a wad of sweaty cash works so much better.

Back