Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM

I'm Jewish, though a convert - I was born and raised a Christian (C of E), but it's never managed to fit with my beliefs.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM

wow, I read through this whole thing and I saw so many things I wanted to quote because they were right on.

my favorite saying which is similar to what ghandi said is "church would be great if it wasn't for the christians" they talk the talk but they don't walk the walk. not all of them, I know some great christians out there, but the majority of them.

I saw something about fellowship. Jesus said if two or more people gather in my name I am there. he didn't say go to the big brick building on the corner with the flashy sign and new christian rock band.

he also said love everybody. I can't say he meant it in a poly kind of way, but who is to say he didn't? is it adultery if your spouse approves of it??
I find it hard to find sexual sin if it's done out of love for one another.

I do consider myself christian. someone else said it. I am a follower of Christ. I read the bible, I pray, I believe in god. I am still learning how to love everyone. it's not as easy as one would think.

something about Jews thinking god was for them and them alone. that is why jesus was sent. to profess that god was for everyone not just the jews. he ate with gentiles, he healed the sick and he lived with the poor.

I'm no bible thumper. I cant quote most scripture and I sure as hell won't try and push my beliefs on anyone else.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 AM

Default vuxv

sk
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 AM

My family never really "practiced" anything, we did do the traditional Christian holidays growing up, but they were never really about religion or god for that matter, although I am pretty sure both my parents would identify as some sort of christians....I have never believed in god, or gods or anything of that nature from as far back as I can remember. I definaltely identify as an athiests.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Why Buddhism

I'm a Buddhist minister and have been poly all my life. Born Catholic, fast passage through protestantism, and 28 years as a neo-hindu. Finally it was Buddhism that reconciled my intense spiritual life with my poly nature. Theologically is the only religion that doesn't go against any sexual\emotional orientation, as long as lived ethicaly.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 AM

Me faithful Christian, my partner and his SO, athiest. We agree to disagree.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suriananda View Post
I'm a Buddhist minister and have been poly all my life. Born Catholic, fast passage through protestantism, and 28 years as a neo-hindu. Finally it was Buddhism that reconciled my intense spiritual life with my poly nature. Theologically is the only religion that doesn't go against any sexual\emotional orientation, as long as lived ethicaly.
Well, Wicca and neo-Paganism in general, I'd argue, are even more open to polyamory and sexuality. Some Buddhists are anti-sex/desire.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin and have for years, and polyamory is not only in complete accord with this teaching, but can also lend another dimension to spiritual development, if practised ethically.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM

I too was raised by Catholic Christianity beliefs, but I more or less branched out of it out of my own interest. I think the fact we stopped going to church all together (except for Easter and Christmas) helped, and now I'm old enough to find the fallacies and annoyances of most 'holidays' and practices.

I still have SOME belief and spiritualism, but nothing extreme.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Quaker agnostic

I am a Quaker agnostic.

Not the sort of agnostic who doesn't know (or doesn't care), but the sort of agnostic who finds myself sometimes believing in God and sometimes not. Yet strangely I find that what I desire for myself, my friends, and my planet is the same in both states of belief; as are my views about how I should live.

Years ago, as a mainsteam Christian, I used to agonise about my 'lack of faith'. Now I don't agonise any more, I have discovered that both belief states add something valuable to my life. The non-credal format of Quaker worship allows me to access both these states in a spiritual way, from within the same religious setting, and on some days during the same time of worship.

How does being a Quaker relate to being poly, to believing in poly? Short answer: very well. Long answer here:
http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showt...7485#post97485

River~~