Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 AM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default Happily Ever After

Would you like to see popular fiction oriented toward poly relationships? Can you picture romantic comedies, sitcoms, children's stories, etc. with polyamorous characters and narratives? Do you have ideas for a story line or issues that should be dealt with by popular media regarding poly love and families?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 AM
MindfulAgony's Avatar
MindfulAgony MindfulAgony is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 192
Default

I think it would be useful for their to be a broader acceptable range of relatoinships displayed on TV. Though that was happening (e.g., Sister Wives, Big Love, The Family). Not always in a light that I would prefer, however.

I would prefer overall more realistic portrayals of love and life. Kind of like how war movies took a dramatic turn in realism after we emerged fromthe trauma of the Vietnam war - John Wayne to Saving Private Ryan (or even Band of Brothers) is a very marked experience for the viewer. That kind of realistic portrayal of the balance of ideal, reality, pressures, and whatever. Included in that would be a broader range of how people actually manage through the difficulties of relationships, various forms of openness would be a part of that view to be sure.
__________________
Male, Straight, Poly

OKC Profile

Blogs:
Mind Crush
sloetry

“Instead of getting better and better at avoiding, learn to accept the present moment as if you had invited it. And work with it instead of against it. And making it your ally rather than your enemy.”
-Pema Chodron
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM
aliceloveshatter aliceloveshatter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bradford/Leeds
Posts: 11
Default

Ms.V and myself are planning out some children's fiction books with polyamorous families in the background, along with other "issues" for want of a better term. I think it's definitely somthing that should be put out there more in a realistic way.
x.S.x
__________________
You weren't much of a muse, but then, I wasn't much of a poet...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulAgony View Post
I think it would be useful for their to be a broader acceptable range of relatoinships displayed on TV. Though that was happening (e.g., Sister Wives, Big Love, The Family). Not always in a light that I would prefer, however.

I would prefer overall more realistic portrayals of love and life. Kind of like how war movies took a dramatic turn in realism after we emerged fromthe trauma of the Vietnam war - John Wayne to Saving Private Ryan (or even Band of Brothers) is a very marked experience for the viewer. That kind of realistic portrayal of the balance of ideal, reality, pressures, and whatever. Included in that would be a broader range of how people actually manage through the difficulties of relationships, various forms of openness would be a part of that view to be sure.
I used to resent sitcoms for painting an over-idealized picture of family and relationships. However, now that I'm aware of the harsh realities to the point of saturation, I like such sitcoms for providing a happy escape from the reality and providing moral lessons about how to deal with bad situations and live better, however unrealistic these lessons are portrayed.

Do you think it would be possible to have poly-focussed sitcoms that deal with ethical dilemmas and provide moral authority for poly partners and families?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 7,235
Default

Similar threads:

Movies: That would have been better with a poly ending.

polyamory in movies/music/art?

poly books and stories (also films) for children

Poly Fiction?

poly romance stories

Your fave poly books - fiction and non fiction

Good Movies

Polyamory's Image Problem
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Derbylicious's Avatar
Derbylicious Derbylicious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,603
Default

There's a sitcom on the web called "family" about a poly family.
__________________
Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok it's not the end.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM
nicothoe's Avatar
nicothoe nicothoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 64
Default

The Sci-Fi show Caprica portrayed a polyamorous family. Granted, they were also terrorists, but nevertheless it was still refreshing to see.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
TruckerPete TruckerPete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Do you think it would be possible to have poly-focussed sitcoms that deal with ethical dilemmas and provide moral authority for poly partners and families?
Sure it's possible. Is it something I would watch? Probably not. I have lived through my own "poly dilemmas", currently live with two partners, and when that's not enough poly in my life, I read and post here.

Sitcoms make light of things (situational comedy). I think there needs to be more awareness about what poly actually is (and how varied it can be) before the media can go poking fun at it without the unwashed masses taking that as the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Sure it's possible. Is it something I would watch? Probably not. I have lived through my own "poly dilemmas", currently live with two partners, and when that's not enough poly in my life, I read and post here.

Sitcoms make light of things (situational comedy). I think there needs to be more awareness about what poly actually is (and how varied it can be) before the media can go poking fun at it without the unwashed masses taking that as the truth.
What about like a Will & Grace type sitcom but with poly? That show actually could have incorporated poly with all the different relationships that went on. They must just not have thought about it. Although, could Will have been described as having Grace as a platonic primary while dating until he found that guy that he ended up with (policeman)? It was all very monogamy oriented, wasn't it? (been a while since I've seen it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicothoe View Post
The Sci-Fi show Caprica portrayed a polyamorous family. Granted, they were also terrorists, but nevertheless it was still refreshing to see.
I love Caprica. When are they going to come out with the second season? That was the best sci fi show I've seen since Star Trek, I think. Anyway, which family is poly? The woman who was building the computer for the avatars to go to heaven? Was that woman she murdered her metamour (am I using that term right? first time I've attempted to use it - just came out actually)? That would be interesting if the polyamorists were monotheists.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
nicothoe's Avatar
nicothoe nicothoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 64
Default

The character played by the English actress Polly Walker was poly. She had two husbands in the show and I'm not sure how many wives. Apparently it was a group marriage. And yes, they were all monotheists. Sadly, the SyFy channel cancelled the show.

A metamour would be the lover of your lover. Not sure how that applies in a group marriage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:00 PM.