Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Jtron's Avatar
Jtron Jtron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 13
Default New Poly-curios guy here with a question..

Hello to all. I was wondering about several dynamics associated with the poly lifestyle. 1) Since I'm new to the poly lifesytle how do you meet other poly people in a safe environment? 2) If/when I meet someone how long should I wait before confiding my new found poly status? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks for listening!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,677
Default

Some people find partners on OK Cupid, a dating site. Others go to poly meetups/munches. Sometimes you just might meet someone randomly who is open to the idea...

It's best to tell a potential partner that you are poly asap.
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Jtron's Avatar
Jtron Jtron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Some people find partners on OK Cupid, a dating site. Others go to poly meetups/munches. Sometimes you just might meet someone randomly who is open to the idea...

It's best to tell a potential partner that you are poly asap.
I figured honesty is the best policy in any new relationship. I hope there is a way to say you are poly without sounding like you are totally strange to any new or potential partners. It sounds like I need to hang around with people who already practice poly. I feel like there is all kinds of new etiquette I need to learn. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on but I'm sure experience will be the best teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,677
Default

On OK Cupid you can say you're polyamorous and highlight it so people can search you for that term, and vice versa.

Check the thread here, "online dating, what's your thing?"
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Jtron's Avatar
Jtron Jtron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
On OK Cupid you can say you're polyamorous and highlight it so people can search you for that term, and vice versa.

Check the thread here, "online dating, what's your thing?"
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 AM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 7,288
Default

I generally find it too confusing to use the word "polyamorous." Most folks either have no idea what that is or they think it's swinging. I tell people I am not interested in exclusivity. They usually get what that means, and it's easier to discuss it further. I don't look only for polyfolk nor just within my local poly community, either. Lots of people are open to it even if they've never heard the word before.

This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Jtron's Avatar
Jtron Jtron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I generally find it too confusing to use the word "polyamorous." Most folks either have no idea what that is or they think it's swinging. I tell people I am not interested in exclusivity. They usually get what that means, and it's easier to discuss it further. I don't look only for polyfolk nor just within my local poly community, either. Lots of people are open to it even if they've never heard the word before.

This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."
I agree that the term exclusivity is more easily understood. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,636
Default

try doing a tag search here for "dating"... others have been there before and have written about it here.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
try doing a tag search here for "dating"... others have been there before and have written about it here.
Echo, echo....
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
try doing a tag search here for "dating"... others have been there before and have written about it here.
Echo, echo....Echo, echo....
Mean girls!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dating, talking about poly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 PM.