Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 AM

We still get quite a few emails generated from this thread and we answer every one.

It may look like the thread has gone fallow, but the discussions continue vibrantly.

Send us an email or a PM if you are interested.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Talking

Both Christian, of Catholic background here.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up This is a very needed thread

Okay, so it's Sunday, so I guess I should finally get around to posting here!

Periwinklesunset and I are Christian, and we are of the opinion that the most frustrating thing that keeps more people from finding Christ are Christians themselves! We've become a parody of ourselves. Atheists, pagans, and all other religions combined have nothing on our ability and tenacity for shooting our own wounded and letting others feel unwelcome. However, atheists, pagans, and other religions pride themselves on the open acceptance and love for others. Isn't that supposed to be our bag?

We kept trying to find a church that didn't deliver some kind of underhanded hate, dismissal of certain kinds of people, or guilt-doctrine and came up empty (and this was back when we lived in Bay Area California, mind you). We'd be standing there listening and thinking, "well this is nice, but could I bring my lesbian relatives here?". The problem is that the church is the public face of the religion, but too many churches twist and turn Christ's teachings into a different message of exclusion and oppression. No one outside knows that the church is NOT Christ, just a flavored representative. I'm losing faith in the concept of the church. If someone asks me about my faith, I'm forced to say "well, church is a drag, but I assure you, Jesus loves you and thinks you're wonderful". Not exactly a compelling argument...

So I say all of that because what struck me is that polyamory seems to be a very Christian ideal (unconditional agape love for others), but that has been forgotten. In fact, this was the first thread I looked at before I joined, (and have been meaning to get back to). Also, I'm all for open discussion here on the board, because PMs and emails don't reach casual passers-by, or those who are on the fence. Ultimately, to combat the negative influence the church has, I think we have to do it one-on-one, (which, if I recall is what Jesus would have us do).

Okay I said my piece, off to try a church around here...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 AM

Wow, does that come off as snarky?! I only really meant to bump the thread, say "good on you" for having it, and add my 2 cents. Didn't mean to come off as cranky as it sounds in retrospect. I'm actually a pretty laid back Christian.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Default Looking for Encouragement

Hi all. Just joined up after reading this post. A little about myself, I've been married 26 years to my wife. I've been out to her as bi for the last 25 years. I've recently come to accept that I need to be with a man and a woman to be happy and complete. I've read the book Divine Sex and love it. I've asked my wife to read the book and she said she would, but she's very busy with work and so she's reading about 1 page every other day. We are both commited Christians and have had this stumbling block to our marriage, (my being bi) and I believe that this book will resolve the issue for better or worse. What I mean is that I hope she will come to understand that it's not God who has place all these restrictions on marriage being only monogomous (sp?) and that we can open up as a couple to adding a man in some way to our marriage. Or, she will state that she does not believe that our marriage can be opened up and it will come to an end (not my desire). Anyway... Thanks for reading.. sorry about the spelling errors..
Perry
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 PM

Just finished reading that book (Divine Sex).
Excellent book! I loved it!

Brainfreezy-i agree, polyamory does very much seem to echo a lot of "original" christian values and I am right there with you that Christians tend to be the #1 group to scare people away from Christ. So sad.

In reference to the church trouble, there was a lady on here before (Ceoli) who mentioned on a few occasions her involvement with the UU church... (Unitarian Universalist Church). There is a group that is promoting poly, that is UU... I included their website below... You may find that it is more "your style" than churches you've found thus far.
I haven't found one near us, but I'm interested in learning more about them. I read a little about the church on wikipedia and found that it greatly mirrors my own beliefs.

www.uupa.org
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 AM

Question. As Christian polies, are you all "out"? Or do you keep it under wraps because of the church and the retaliation that you and your family would face (children included, you know it gets passed down to their peers)?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openbj View Post
As Christian polies, are you all "out"?
Pretty much. I don't know if the leaders of the congregation know. I haven't faced any harassment or questioning for my bipoly, just astonishment and curiosity. That is probably though because the congregation is heavily youth- and young adult-dominated. I co-lead a group and help with the mass, but am not actively involved in the weekly running of things.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openbj View Post
Question. As Christian polies, are you all "out"?
I am as out as I could possibly be in my Unitarian Universalist church. I chair the chapter of UUs for Polyamory Awareness that meets at our church. I work the UUPA booth in the Exhibit Hall during our annual General Assembly of the Association. One year I co-led a workshop during the General Assembly. I've discussed the issue with many ministers and leaders from various administrative levels. And I'm listed as contact person on the Internet.

In my home church, I'm on the team that leads the adult Sunday school class, and I serve on other committees and task teams. I'm also active in the UU Christian Fellowship.

Jasmine
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 AM

I have recently admitted to my husband about the desire for polyamory. And ironically, also recently started attending church again after a 7 year absence.

So I'm very happy about this thread. It is wonderful to know there are other Christian polys. I would say I express my spiritual-self through Christianity, but not exclusively as there are elements of natural-world paganish tendencies in me to (as in I greet trees as equal beings and give them hugs).

This journey into polyamory is going to be an interesting one! And definitely something I will be keeping in the closet (unless directly asked) within the Christian community for now.