Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Default "Be ye not yoked"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
my impression was the that warnings against being with an unbeliever have to do with the conflicts between forgiving and unforgiving individuals.
Here is the passage. It's King James Version, because that's the one not under copyright:

2 Corinthians 6:

11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.

12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.

13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Notice the context. This was a letter from Paul to a particular church; it wasn't Jesus talking, but Paul to one small congregation with a specific set of problems that Paul was addressing in particular. Problems that we can only guess at.

Notice in verse 17 the reference to being separate and avoiding the "unclean." Straight out of the Hebrew purity codes.

Notice also the Us vs Them set-up. "We" are righteous. "They" are automatically unrighteous because their religious beliefs are different. That's a very defensive posture.

I supposed the forgiveness vs unforgiveness bit could fit into this passage, if that's the particular lesson a minister is trying to teach to their congregation. At the same time, it's certainly not the only lesson that could fit into this passage. "Be ye not unequally yoked" is one of those maxims that can translate into a thousand bits of specific wisdom.

I do know that when I first was taught this passage, they never mentioned the purity codes or brinks of extinction, both of which are hugely important elements of the context of the people of that time.

What does this have to do with polyamory?

It goes back to the "Pulling together" image. If two or more people can agree/compromise well enough to pull together in their relationship, then they have a reasonable chance of making it work. Whether it's religion or polyamory or politics or something else. If they can't agree/compromise about enough to pull together, then how can they ever have a moment's peace or happiness together? Whether it's religion or polyamory or politics or something else.

It's the pulling together that matters. Are we working together for common goals?

It's possible that I'd agree with St. Paul about being unequally yoked. I'd just define "unequally yoked" very differently than he seems to have defined it. And that might have as much to do with the the date and location as anything else. In Paul's world, being "yoked" to an unbeliever kept a Christian at constant risk of exposure, even betrayal, and martyrdom.

Read other versions of the text here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...6&version=NASB

Tags
christianity, religion