Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Thoughts

Hi everyone!
__________________________________________________ ______________
You can find my original introduction here: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10130
__________________________________________________ ______________

I'm feeling discombobulated. It all started with trying to organize an event. The event seemed simple and innocuous enough until I found out that doing so might not only out me / us, but potentially place me as the local face of polyamory.

This gave me pause. The pause has lead to discombobulation.

What we do isn't illegal. Is it? No, it can't be (any Canadian lawyers in the group?) We're not polygamists or bigamists.

So, if it's not illegal, then what are the two worst outcomes of "coming out"? I figure getting fired and getting a visit from child services. How likely are any of those things? Getting fired doesn't seem likely for me anyway, and the visit just seems like parental paranoia. Right?

And I did say "worst outcomes". There are likely others such as drama, potential friend and family loss, etc. But are any of those things really that horrible?

I don't want to become the intentional or unintentional face for anything (other than maybe awesomeness), but I also don't want to hide when I believe - strongly - that how I choose to live my life is in fact either no one's business or completely ethical. I need to think more on this.

Last edited by Feedhercandy; 06-27-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Silly title
Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedhercandy View Post

What we do isn't illegal. Is it? No, it can't be (any Canadian lawyers in the group?) We're not polygamists or bigamists.

It is in fact illegal in Canada if you live together or even attend a poly union ceremony. The law is broad and sweeping but people have fought it hard recently and we are awaiting the outcome.

Canadian Criminal Code (R.S., 1985, c. C-46)

293. (1) Every one who
(a) practises or enters into or in any manner agrees or consents to practise or enter into
(i) any form of polygamy, or

(ii) any kind of conjugal union with more than one person at the same time,

whether or not it is by law recognized as a binding form of marriage, or

(b) celebrates, assists or is a party to a rite, ceremony, contract or consent that purports to sanction a relationship mentioned in subparagraph (a)(i) or (ii),
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.
Evidence in case of polygamy

(2) Where an accused is charged with an offence under this section, no averment or proof of the method by which the alleged relationship was entered into, agreed to or consented to is necessary in the indictment or on the trial of the accused, nor is it necessary on the trial to prove that the persons who are alleged to have entered into the relationship had or intended to have sexual intercourse.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 257.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Conjugal unions

Thank you!

Here's an interesting article from 2008 in the Globe and Mail about Canadian law relating to polygamy and conjugal unions:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...icle701766.ece
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

Here's an interesting article from 2008 in the Globe and Mail about Canadian law relating to polygamy and conjugal unions:

Nice article! Thanks for sharing that Now I have to go report to the chain gang..because I have been breaking this law for quite some time and intend to continue doing it

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM

I agree about the article being very interesting. It's a rather interesting notion of divorce being not-applicable to religious marriages putting a lot of monostream canadians in the crosshairs of s.293. I would have liked to see the author being around for representations during the court case.

Speaking of which, the running commentary on the court case in BC is here:

BC Reference Case on Polygamy and Group Marriages

We're still waiting on a verdict...and regardless of which way the finding goes, it's just the start.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

Hrm, turns out my dad is a polygamist. (Separated from my mother, living with his gf.)

Glad to see you in the blog section, FHC.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Location: Canada, where people yell yeha for ten days and throw up on there shoes.

Not the first law I've broken, but definitely the most enjoyable. I plan to break this law often and with great vigor.

Thanks for the article FHC.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
I plan to break this law often and with great vigor.
Oh, now I know for sure I should have cleared my calendar when you were in New York!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Tags
coming out polyamorous, law