Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Love this

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM

I've been working on a journal full of collages as a sort of art-therapy project.
The quote in your signature is totally going to get it's own page!
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I've been working on a journal full of collages as a sort of art-therapy project.
The quote in your signature is totally going to get it's own page!
Thanks!
Something More

This is where it comes from

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 AM

SlutWalk in DC this August.
I'm going.
I think I'm finally ready to be that ballsy.

The length of this dress ≠ a YES!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM

http://offthedeeps.blogspot.com/2011...something.html

This is a project I've been reluctant to start, but I think it's time, and that it needs to happen.

This will be my public account of my healing journey. It's public because other people need to know they're not alone, and because if there is any chance I can pass on helpful tips, or reassuring stories, or at the very least, make someone feel like they're not alone, I want to do it. I'm posting the link here, and a couple other places. Some folks here have expressed an interest. I recently found a similarly themed blog, and it has been incredibly helpful (and hard) for me.

I'll be leaving out the gory details of my history, because those aren't what need to be put out there - the coping skills I've learned from myself, other people, and therapists are.

I think our culture's taboo on the topic of rape, and the way they make victims feel like it's a secret shame that should not be discussed because it makes other people uncomfortable is ridiculous, and is why it still happens.

Last edited by Cricket; 06-29-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I think our culture's taboo on the topic of rape, and the way they make victims feel like it's a secret shame that should not be discussed because it makes other people uncomfortable is ridiculous, and is why it still happens.
Agreed.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is ridiculous! And when the person who is dealing with such victimization and trying to put their life back together is called crazy and irrational, or expected to "get over it" quickly, even by those who were or are close to that person, that is even more ridiculous. But then, the kind of person who would look down on someone who'd been raped... ugh! They are exerting their own form of violation with their judgments. Such people are sociopaths without a shred of compassion, and would likely do things like guiltlessly steal from their friends if they had the chance. So we should never pay any mind to such judgmental idiots.

The important thing is to stand on your own two feet and stop seeing yourself as a victim, but rather as someone who has come through and defied another's attempt to victimize you. You're stronger and more powerful than that.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM

If you read some of my last posts there, that's been the theme of most of my recent personal work.

I spent a long time thinking of myself in terms of a victim, and letting other people tell me that's all I was. Then I realized that the people calling me a victim were people who had never had to get up off their back, pull their boots on, and run for their lives.

I get to define what I am, and what I am is done with bullshit. Tough choices and all, I'm so much better off now.