Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 7,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Right, but if you make yourself attractive for yourself, why would it surprise you if other people find you attractive too?
I am always surprised when people find me attractive, just 'cause I'm not that conceited to believe that everyone would. LOL. Sure, certain people, in certain situations, I know will be attracted to me, but I'm usually more in tune with if I feel good and attractive for ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Why would a woman who puts effort into making herself attractive for whatever reason blame her partner for finding other women attractive who use similar techniques for appearing attractive? Attractive = attraction, no?
Well, that's a blanket generalization if there ever was one! Personally, I never "blamed" my partners for anything if they checked out other chicks. In fact, my husband loved the fact that I would point out pretty women for him to look at. And I'm totally straight. Never been the type to be jealous of a roving eye. I like to look at hot guys, why shouldn't my partners be able to look, too? Just because you've had already dinner, doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu.

__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 06-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 PM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Well, that's a blanket generalization if there ever was one! Personally, I never "blamed" my partners for anything if they checked out other chicks. In fact, my husband loved the fact that I would point out pretty women for him to look at. And I'm totally straight. Never been the type to be jealous of a roving eye. I like to look at hot guys, why shouldn't my partners be able to look, too? Just because you've had already dinner, doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu.
I can loosely generalize that people always assume I mean everyone when I really am just referring to a pattern I've noticed among some people. I'm not foolish enough to think there is a generalization that applies to everyone or even the majority. Diversity is the rule, not the exception.

You seem to have have the shopping/buying thing in perspective. Many women seem to feel like they're in the wrong relationship if their partner has eyes for anyone but them. There is a big difference between seeing physical attraction and being holistically attracted to someone. Looks are only skin deep.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I can loosely generalize that people always assume I mean everyone when I really am just referring to a pattern I've noticed among some people. I'm not foolish enough to think there is a generalization that applies to everyone or even the majority. Diversity is the rule, not the exception.

Well, when you say "women" instead of "some women", what do you expect?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
Well, when you say "women" instead of "some women", what do you expect?
Well, how could anyone speak about "all women," "all men," or "all people?" Maybe I should have said "some" but the deeper question is why would anyone assume that anyone could legitimately be saying anything about "all" since they can't possibly know "all" people? Besides, if I said that some women are not attracted to attached men, that would be more incorrect because I have never had a woman tell me she's not attracted to attached men whereas I have heard several/many tell me that men in relationships are more attractive. No one else has heard women say this?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 AM
TruckerPete TruckerPete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
No one else has heard women say this?
No. But I'm a woman. Maybe they don't tell me their secrets. That said, I also don't say this to myself.

Attached men make me nervous, because I am a naturally flirty person. I worry that I'm overstepping my bounds by well, being myself around them.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
serialmonogamist serialmonogamist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Attached men make me nervous, because I am a naturally flirty person. I worry that I'm overstepping my bounds by well, being myself around them.
I understand this feeling, but it doesn't really address the issue of whether you tend to find men more attractive when they are in relationships. Another reason I've heard for this is that being in a relationship makes a man more self-confident, which adds to his attractiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I understand this feeling, but it doesn't really address the issue of whether you tend to find men more attractive when they are in relationships. Another reason I've heard for this is that being in a relationship makes a man more self-confident, which adds to his attractiveness.
In my experience, I have found it much easier to be around and talk with women when I am attached. I also found them more responsive to that level of relaxed interaction regardless if they knew I was attached or not. From my perspective it is easy to see the why. When I was younger and single, I was driven by the desire to get laid. I think this came across through my energy and general tone. I was in "hunter" mode for lack of a better term and I think women are very perceptive to that.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 06-25-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I have never had a woman tell me she's not attracted to attached men whereas I have heard several/many tell me that men in relationships are more attractive. No one else has heard women say this?

I am a woman and i am not more attracted to people just because they are in a relationship (men or women). There. i said it. There is a first time for everything. Never say never.


Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I understand this feeling, but it doesn't really address the issue of whether you tend to find men more attractive when they are in relationships. Another reason I've heard for this is that being in a relationship makes a man more self-confident, which adds to his attractiveness.

According to this line of reasoning, you must not be in a relationship right now.

I'm a little curious though. Do you also get your information about "what women like in bed" from porno flicks?

Last edited by NeonKaos; 06-24-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
TruckerPete TruckerPete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I understand this feeling, but it doesn't really address the issue of whether you tend to find men more attractive when they are in relationships. Another reason I've heard for this is that being in a relationship makes a man more self-confident, which adds to his attractiveness.
Alright, apparently I have to precisely state, no, I do not find attached men more attractive.

And even if I did, the second one would make a move, he would instantly become unattractive (assuming this is a mono relationship), because he's a cheater.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Alright, apparently I have to precisely state, no, I do not find attached men more attractive.

And even if I did, the second one would make a move, he would instantly become unattractive (assuming this is a mono relationship), because he's a cheater.
Wow! There's also a second time for everything! And on the same day too! Pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casual sex, definitions, descriptions, new to polyamory, stereotypes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 PM.