Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
I was just wondering how you were doing! Cool.
Good timing on my part. ... I am back home next week.. for a whole week.. Holy smoke, 7 days in my own bed...

I might have to have a party haha.. ..

I am blessed. Life is good.. I really have no right to complain about anything.. hahaha.. doesn't mean I won't one in a while haha hahah
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Actually.. the honest truth. The best way to build sports muscles is to play the sport.

When I used to coach and train teenagers, that truth really does work. You can have an incredible and powerful squat, and not jump worth beans.

The best way to build strength for sprinting is to sprint a lot,... and supplement that with working out ...

If you goal is athletic.. play the sport as much as you can and supplement the athletics with the workout ..
There is still something to be said for training the muscle groups that you are going to be using the most often to help strengthen them and hopefully cut down on the potential for injury. It might not make you play the sport better right off the bat but not being injured helps you play the sport longer and get better at it.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Good timing on my part. ... I am back home next week.. for a whole week.. Holy smoke, 7 days in my own bed...

In your bed
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
There is still something to be said for training the muscle groups that you are going to be using the most often to help strengthen them and hopefully cut down on the potential for injury. It might not make you play the sport better right off the bat but not being injured helps you play the sport longer and get better at it.
I agree. Those support muscles and the extras need to get worked. .. I am just saying.. "if you wanna skate better, skate more"..

the best ballers all played 8 hours a day.. they didn't hit the gym..

and yes, I just said baller.. haha
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
In your bed

hahahah indeed
Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Yay for home!

Quote:

I am blessed. Life is good.. I really have no right to complain about anything.. hahaha.. doesn't mean I won't one in a while haha hahah
I hope you enjoy being home, Ari! And I myself am a believer in the notion that a little venting does us good
forging my path together with the best partner I could ever ask for!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I agree. Those support muscles and the extras need to get worked. .. I am just saying.. "if you wanna skate better, skate more"..

It's the eye/hand/body coordination. No amount of pumping iron or working out will build that. If you want to get better at something that requires to to move in certain ways to accomplish certain things (shooting basketballs, hitting baseballs, thunking people with sticks), then go out and do them and build the most important thing of all: muscle memory.

As for how I'm doing? The whiplash back to reality is throwing me into a deeper funk then before. It's a slide into depression that's hard to stop, so tonight I'm going out to play some board games with some friends and hopefully have a good time.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Actually.. the honest truth. The best way to build sports muscles is to play the sport.

When I used to coach and train teenagers, that truth really does work. You can have an incredible and powerful squat, and not jump worth beans.

The best way to build strength for sprinting is to sprint a lot,... and supplement that with working out ...

If you goal is athletic.. play the sport as much as you can and supplement the athletics with the workout ..
Yup. I do that. 2 hours, 2X a week. And at the end of it, my back is seizing on me. So what I need (and I did see Derby reply somewhere down the line, but have to go look) is something that will be supplemental and help the muscles that are so seriously out of shape work properly.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I need a place where I CAN skate more. I was told not to skate in on wet pavement. So .... living on the Wet Coast I need to find other ways to strengthen muscles while we're enjoying the liquid sunshine...

My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
"if you wanna skate better, skate more"
Just to address this because I see someone else has responded to it as well - I already skate "well-(ish)" its not my skating skills I need to work on - those are coming along nicely.

Its the "OMFG I CAN'T MOVE" pain in my back that is fairly common (i've been told) when you first start skating that I need to work out.

If my back didn't seize - I'd happily skate through the cardio issues, through the cramps in my shin, through the numb feet... but my back seizes and I need to find a way to prevent that.

My Journey as a Widow

Jane

Tags
checking in, chit-chat, community, conversation, status, update