Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Is the only way to be totally monogamous to completely emotionally distance yourself from everyone you interact with except your one partner?
Based on how I work: (and I can only speak for myself)
If you are merely acting mono due to conditioning, or your current situation, then keeping a distance would be a strategy to prevent new intimate connections that conflict with an existing one. If however, you are truly internally mono, there is no need to distance yourself from anyone. You only have that one type of intimate connection with a single person. All other relationships involve a different type of connection. The only time these other connections can cause a problem is if you have an insecure partner who views platonic friendships as a threat.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Do you consider a person's behavior polyamorous if they just experience platonic love with multiple people? Do you think it's polyamory when people channel feelings of attraction into non-sexual interactions such a friendships and positive conversation?
to answer these two questions from my perspective; yes, I do consider non-sexual love poly. Asexual people can be poly too and for whatever reason anyone else who does not wish, or doesn't have the ability or it just isn't in the cards right now can have poly relatiionships. I myself have a boyfriend I don't have sex with. Its just not an option right now. I love him as I do my other partners; he is more than just a friend. That feeling I get with friends and the work we put into our relationship is more than that of any of my friendships.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Based on how I work: (and I can only speak for myself)
If you are merely acting mono due to conditioning, or your current situation, then keeping a distance would be a strategy to prevent new intimate connections that conflict with an existing one. If however, you are truly internally mono, there is no need to distance yourself from anyone. You only have that one type of intimate connection with a single person. All other relationships involve a different type of connection. The only time these other connections can cause a problem is if you have an insecure partner who views platonic friendships as a threat.
That makes sense but how do you know if the connections you have with people are truly totally platonic or if there's a potential for more? To me it seems like if you find a person attractive and interesting there could always be a potential for a relationship, but the reason you don't pursue every relationship is because there's also a potential for damage.

It's like shopping. You can go shopping and see lots of things you think you would maybe like to buy or at least try out but you limit yourself to only buying the things you really need because you don't want to end up buried under a pile of credit-card bills. With monogamy I think the problem is that many people feel jealous if they just feel like you're paying attention to other merchandise in the store. But I think that may have to do with the fact that women do more work to make themselves appear attractive than men. Women should probably stop competing for male attention unless they're open to polyamory.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
. . . With monogamy I think the problem is that many people feel jealous if they just feel like you're paying attention to other merchandise in the store. I think that may have to do with the fact that women do more work to make themselves appear attractive than men. Women should probably stop competing for male attention unless they're open to polyamory.
Excuse me, but I like to appear attractive for myself. I feel good when I am dressed and groomed in a way that I like. If you men can't handle it, look at your own shit.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That makes sense but how do you know if the connections you have with people are truly totally platonic or if there's a potential for more? To me it seems like if you find a person attractive and interesting there could always be a potential for a relationship, but the reason you don't pursue every relationship is because there's also a potential for damage.

For me there is a very clear distinction in the types of connection. I agree if you find some one interesting or attractive there might be the potential for more, but for me that is a function of being unconnected or single. When I am connected to a partner I can truly enjoy the company of others because there is no potential for anything beyond friendship. Therefore I don't have that "hunter mentality" to cloud the friendship that is possible when I am unattached.

Monogamy makes me a better friend without an agenda. I'm not trying to get laid or win your heart if I am currently connected so people can relax around me. I'm spending time with you because I simply enjoy your company so to speak

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Excuse me, but I like to appear attractive for myself. I feel good when I am dressed and groomed in a way that I like. If you men can't handle it, look at your own shit.
Right, but if you make yourself attractive for yourself, why would it surprise you if other people find you attractive too? Why would a woman who puts effort into making herself attractive for whatever reason blame her partner for finding other women attractive who use similar techniques for appearing attractive? Attractive = attraction, no?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Monogamy makes me a better friend without an agenda. I'm not trying to get laid or win your heart if I am currently connected so people can relax around me. I'm spending time with you because I simply enjoy your company so to speak
This is another reason women seem to find attached (monogamous?) men more attractive.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
This is another reason women seem to find attached (monogamous?) men more attractive.
Well, if you are a poly or mono woman looking to date I guess I would be the least attractive There is no unknown factor to me LOL, no suspense of what might happen!

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Which women?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
Which women?
The ones that feel uncomfortable with being "hunted" and who are unsure about how attractive men are until she sees them with another woman.

Quote:
Well, if you are a poly or mono woman looking to date I guess I would be the least attractive There is no unknown factor to me LOL, no suspense of what might happen!
Many like the challenge of the unattainable, I think - like the way some women are attracted to gay men.

Tags
casual sex, definitions, descriptions, new to polyamory, stereotypes