Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulAgony View Post
Someone collecting private information (which some - very expensive - background checks do) on you is another matter altogether and should looked on dimly and, in certain cases, is against US law.

I don't really get why someone would think a criminal records check would be invasive. However, I do understand why someone convicted of a crime is embarrased by it. Searching public records just doesn't rank for me as an invasion of privacy.
See, the kinds of things you can look up in the States are considered private here, so I think that is where the disparity is coming from. If the info you consider private was available via a Google search for people in another country, you might feel it was a little invasive or odd that those people looked up these things. That's sort of where we are sitting from across the border.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
See, the kinds of things you can look up in the States are considered private here, so I think that is where the disparity is coming from. If the info you consider private was available via a Google search for people in another country, you might feel it was a little invasive or odd that those people looked up these things. That's sort of where we are sitting from across the border.
Yes, I think it's definitely that kind of thing. It's a bit like when someone tells me "duh, you should carry pepper spray at all times" like it's some sort of common knowledge, only-moron-don't-do-this kind of thing, when it's illegal to do so in both Canada and France, the two countries I've lived in for extended period of times, so to me it's definitely not something I would think of as normal or common sense at all.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 AM

In Canada we can do a criminal record check (a fact that I wish I had known before dating my last bf).
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assets View Post
In Canada we can do a criminal record check (a fact that I wish I had known before dating my last bf).
You can, but it isn't as easially accessible as looking it up on an internet database.

Tags
safety, security