Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 AM
ImaginaryIllusion's Avatar
ImaginaryIllusion ImaginaryIllusion is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Until it reached the end, I thought you were arguing that doing a background check on someone behind their back was the same as all your examples (as in, just because it's there doesn't mean you should take it), but then I realised the were reasons why you think background checks should be done.
Tonberry, I have to agree, I was thinking the same thing when I was initially reading that post.

I take privacy very seriously, not having much of it in some aspects of my life. Both in aspects of what information governments and corporations have any business collecting, and how much of my life has anything to do with private noses...and how much they really need to mind their own $%^&*ng business rather than mine.

I do suspect there will be some heavy cultural differences, and no problems for some people to justify whatever they figure they're entitled to regardless of any notion of respect for others, privacy, or the societal consequences at large. What kind of life remains if every dipshit zealously righteous neighbor on the block is able to run his own gestapo search of your private affairs in the name of 'safety' or whatever the flavour excuse of the week is? To me it is beyond Orwellian.

I would view this kind of action as a total invasion of privacy...(of course the laws north of the border are far more protective of this kind of information, requiring the individuals consent for such searches to be conducted) It really would be analogous to someone breaking and entering into my home to snoop around the medicine cabinet, financial records, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, rather than the paranoia of going behind someone's back to dig up dirt on them, I'd far rather take the time to get to know the person. And to take the proper time and precautions to allow them into my life as quickly or as slowly as respect, trust and reciprocation may allow. I don't mind bringing friends into my home, and see what I'm about. And those who make it past the threshold I trust to respect my space and not go snooping through the filing cabinet where they don't belong.

I have been burned by this in the past. I've had friends steal from me. Friends who I trusted for years. Criminal and background checks would not have warned me of it, or stopped it from happening. But I would far rather be disappointed by a couple of individuals than live my life under a magnifying glass of the random mob of strangers around me.

ETA:
The short answer (imho) as to whether anyone has the right, is No! It's in the realm of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
__________________
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - Chinese Proverb

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 06-15-2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
TL4everu2's Avatar
TL4everu2 TL4everu2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clearwater, Fl.
Posts: 907
Default

I disagree. I have the RIGHT to protect myself, as well as my family. Hell, IMO, I have the RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY to do so. Doing a background check on someone, whether behind their back or upfront, is simple preparedness and protection. It's what you do with the info, that gets you in trouble. LOL
__________________
There is a lid for every pot...Sometimes even two or three...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM
SNeacail's Avatar
SNeacail SNeacail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Near Disneyland
Posts: 1,616
Default

After all the horror stories I have heard of women meeting up with strange men they have met "online", I am truly amazed that so many people would do NOTHING to check these people out and actually find it offensive.

Would you guys seriously allow your daughters to meet up with someone they met online without even doing an internet search (google search) and see if this person is on the sexual preditors list?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Derbylicious's Avatar
Derbylicious Derbylicious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
After all the horror stories I have heard of women meeting up with strange men they have met "online", I am truly amazed that so many people would do NOTHING to check these people out and actually find it offensive.

Would you guys seriously allow your daughters to meet up with someone they met online without even doing an internet search (google search) and see if this person is on the sexual preditors list?
In Canada, as far as I know, only the police have access to the sexual offender database. This might be where the difference in what some of us are comfortable with. In Canada a lot of things aren't publicly available. That might be why a lot of us are uncomfortable with these kinds of searches being done on us (and why we wouldn't think of doing similar searches on others).
__________________
Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok it's not the end.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Ariakas Ariakas is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
After all the horror stories I have heard of women meeting up with strange men they have met "online", I am truly amazed that so many people would do NOTHING to check these people out and actually find it offensive.

Would you guys seriously allow your daughters to meet up with someone they met online without even doing an internet search (google search) and see if this person is on the sexual preditors list?
Daughter.. Well maybe not. Then again how do you stop things like fb. I used to go hang out and meet new people. No harm no foul. But with daughters there is a level of protection implied.

My partners and possible partners are adult women. I would hope this kind of protection isn't needed. I would trust their judgement. And in fact, would even peep. Not my place. A "are you sute this is safe" should suffice...

The number of pervs in the world is less than normalcy (in fact the ratio is very tiny I bet). Not a fan of catoring to the fear mongering here.

And ditto to what derby said.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM
MindfulAgony's Avatar
MindfulAgony MindfulAgony is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 192
Default

A criminal record is public for a reason in the US. If you have a criminal record, it is not private information (unless, of course, the record has been sealed by a court). Therefore, I can't see it any differently than someond doing a Google/Bing search.

Someone collecting private information (which some - very expensive - background checks do) on you is another matter altogether and should looked on dimly and, in certain cases, is against US law.

I don't really get why someone would think a criminal records check would be invasive. However, I do understand why someone convicted of a crime is embarrased by it. Searching public records just doesn't rank for me as an invasion of privacy.

Your cultural mindset may vary....
__________________
Male, Straight, Poly

OKC Profile

Blogs:
Mind Crush
sloetry

“Instead of getting better and better at avoiding, learn to accept the present moment as if you had invited it. And work with it instead of against it. And making it your ally rather than your enemy.”
-Pema Chodron

Last edited by MindfulAgony; 06-15-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulAgony View Post
Searching public records just doesn't rank for me as an invasion of privacy.
Me neither. That would be like saying that looking in the phone book or going to the Registry of Deeds is an invasion of privacy. Some people may not LIKE it that these avenues are available, but um, maybe you should have thought of that before you did whatever it was you did that got you convicted. Yo?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Tonberry Tonberry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
After all the horror stories I have heard of women meeting up with strange men they have met "online", I am truly amazed that so many people would do NOTHING to check these people out and actually find it offensive.

Would you guys seriously allow your daughters to meet up with someone they met online without even doing an internet search (google search) and see if this person is on the sexual preditors list?
I wouldn't even have thought of doing that.
On the other hand, I would insist she goes with a friend and meet in a public place while she gets to know that person better. I think you can protect yourself without going into others' privacies. It's like wearing a bulletproof jacket in case someone has a weapon vs breaking into their home to check if they have one.

Just because you don't do a check as a first reflex doesn't mean you assume everything is fine until further notice. You can still be prudent and careful about things and take all the common precautions (always have someone know where you are, have them call you every X amount of time on your phone to check on you, have someone come along with you the first few times, meet in public, get the person's real name and ask if you can see their ID... don't have to do any of that behind the person's back).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 PM
SNeacail's Avatar
SNeacail SNeacail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Near Disneyland
Posts: 1,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
breaking into their home to check if they have one.
Breaking into their home is illegal and a definite invasion of privacy, driving by the address they gave you to see if it really exisits isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
ask if you can see their ID... don't have to do any of that behind the person's back).
LOL I did that the night I met my husband. "Can I see your ID? OK, you can come home with me." I did show him my ID too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
safety, security

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 PM.