Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Weinergate, et al.

Ok, it's all over the news, we've all heard about it, and while it's really nothing new (seems every-other month theres some new new scandal), I'm very curious to hear your takes on it, as opposed to the vitriolic reactionary and judgmental responses issued in the mainstream media.

For me, I view it as a tragic symptom of our cultural flaws. About the only action of his I take issue with is the lying, both to his wife and the country. I know we all (myself included) tend to prefer the whole "living openly and honestly" path, but in a culture where any sort of non-monogamy outside of "casual dating" is greatly frowned upon, it would seem we do a piss-poor job of encouraging people to be honest with their personal lives/sexuality.

As much as I want to believe that what people are taking an issue with is his lack of honesty, deep down, I know that's not the core of the problem. Hell, we still have people in government stating publicly, repeatedly, "I'm not gay!", and then finally, "Yes, I'm gay" following a damning scandal. Yet, incredibly, these sorts of scandals do not draw the same ire as things like "Weinergate", even though the person in question has been lying for years about their desires and behavior, both to the public and their families. We seem to be forgiving of this because most people are now at least somewhat accepting of homosexuality, yet amazingly, in spite of the shockingly high percentage of infidelity in couples, we cannot be forgiving of our very nature as human beings.

It's really quite tragic.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Hmm, I saw some headline on a paper at the store the other day... something about someone named Weiner... didn't read it and I generally don't watch the news, so-o-o... I have no idea what you're referring to!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post against hierarchy in polyamory: http://solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-i...short-version/
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/ny...resign.html?hp

That's a pretty good overview so far. The whole thing started when he accidentally posted a pic of him in his underwear on Twitter instead of sending it as a private message to a girl. He deleted it immediately, and then lied and said he was hacked. Of course, he had sent other pictures in the past, and had what is being called "inappropriate communications" with women over the internet, and it all came to light. He stuck by the "I was hacked" for a few days before finally caving and admitting the whole thing.

Now Pelosi and many others are calling for his resignation, even though the people he represents don't want him to quit. He's even seeking "psychological treatment", which will probably only fuel his feelings of guilt and self-hatred and turn the poor bastard into a complete mess for decades to come.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 PM

Okay, just going by what you stated, I'm sure this thing is being blown way out of proportion (thanks for the link, but I didn't read it. Maybe I will, but reading the news just turns me off).

This only confirms my assertion that sending racy images of yourself electronically is the dumbest thing in the world to do. And especially when you're well-known.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post against hierarchy in polyamory: http://solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-i...short-version/
Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Oh, it's being blown WAY out of proportion. He hasn't even had an affair. And yes, sending racy photos of yourself on the internet if you're well known is a totally moronic idea. Even still, why do we give a crap?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm a bit like NYCindie, I was clueless about the whole thing for quite a while on purpose . I agree, they are making a big F'ing deal about something that has absolutely no bearing on his ability to do his job, except that it shows that maybe his staff needs to take his cell phone away.

If he had all the regulatory/supervisory shit people in my industry are required to deal with (by the government), it never would have gotten past the required filters and would never have been posted. I guess if you want to bypass all the goverment required security protocols, just get yourself elected to congress.

PS It made great material for the comidian that I heard last week. I guess, it's just a conspiracy by the comidians and frustrated news reporters.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM

I think he is the poor SOB who had the incredibly bad timing of making a underwear/photo boo-boo, while 'sexting' issues are hot and at the forefront.

Much like 'rehab' being a trendy thing a few years ago, or 'sex-tapes' before that, the media jumps on any news-bits related to these trends.
Sexting and social media blunders, have become a hot trend.

Its scandalous, simply because its a trendy-bash currently.

He will walk the public-shame walk, cower and disappear.

..It`s what all lil good boys in batman-underwear do.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 AM

At least he looks after himself LOL! I've seen plenty worse

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGirl View Post
I think he is the poor SOB who had the incredibly bad timing of making a underwear/photo boo-boo, while 'sexting' issues are hot and at the forefront.

Much like 'rehab' being a trendy thing a few years ago, or 'sex-tapes' before that, the media jumps on any news-bits related to these trends.
Sexting and social media blunders, have become a hot trend.

Its scandalous, simply because its a trendy-bash currently.

He will walk the public-shame walk, cower and disappear.

..It`s what all lil good boys in batman-underwear do.

I think this is a little different because the gal was 17.

Also not sure how this is poly? Maybe a move to the Fireplace would be good?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
Ok, it's all over the news, we've all heard about it, and while it's really nothing new (seems every-other month theres some new new scandal), I'm very curious to hear your takes on it, as opposed to the vitriolic reactionary and judgmental responses issued in the mainstream media.

For me, I view it as a tragic symptom of our cultural flaws. About the only action of his I take issue with is the lying, both to his wife and the country. I know we all (myself included) tend to prefer the whole "living openly and honestly" path, but in a culture where any sort of non-monogamy outside of "casual dating" is greatly frowned upon, it would seem we do a piss-poor job of encouraging people to be honest with their personal lives/sexuality.

As much as I want to believe that what people are taking an issue with is his lack of honesty, deep down, I know that's not the core of the problem. Hell, we still have people in government stating publicly, repeatedly, "I'm not gay!", and then finally, "Yes, I'm gay" following a damning scandal. Yet, incredibly, these sorts of scandals do not draw the same ire as things like "Weinergate", even though the person in question has been lying for years about their desires and behavior, both to the public and their families. We seem to be forgiving of this because most people are now at least somewhat accepting of homosexuality, yet amazingly, in spite of the shockingly high percentage of infidelity in couples, we cannot be forgiving of our very nature as human beings.

It's really quite tragic.
Yeah, nothing tragic about society's reaction in my opinion when he's being explicit with girls, rather than women.