Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erosa View Post
Well, I admit to finding the idea of an entire community dedicate to the concept of poly extremely interesting, I don't think that a poly community would survive the end of the world any better than any other kind. In fact they might do worse because in severe survival situations, strong family units are often the key to rebuilding a civilization. And if you have 3 wives and 8 kids and all your wives have 2 or 3 husbands... well... it gets hard to know who to feed first when there isn't enough to go around.
Actually, I was thinking the opposite: that a polyamory community WOULD be the strongest family unit. In my history they call this a Clan. However, perhaps now we have the freedom now to redefine it as we see fit in a new paradigm.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Clan; I haven't heard that one... tribe, constellation, yes.

Have you done any research on intentional communities? This is what came up for me when I read your posts. There are some poly ideals within those that are interested in pursuing this kind of community I have heard. I don't really know much about it but I think there is a link to permaculture also.

If you find anything interesting out I would love it if you came back and told us about it. I have always been interested, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandE View Post
I was . . . wondering what those with statuses of mono and straight have to do with poly as well.
What do you mean wondering about straight people involved in poly? Did you think only bisexual people want to have multiple loving relationships? Just curious.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
What do you mean wondering about straight people involved in poly? Did you think only bisexual people want to have multiple loving relationships? Just curious.
Its actually fairly common. I have ranted about it before. I am hoping this is just another misunderstanding sentence.

I have debated this on fetlife. There can be a disbelief that straight people can't be poly. *shrugs*.. I have always found the argument to be way out in left field.

Wonder if that means the opposite is true, can gay people be poly then? I never thought to ask that... runs to fetlife to find the ancient thread.

Last edited by Ariakas; 06-09-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Nah, it's probably not bi people in general - just bi women and straight men that can be poly, right? Heaven forbid a straight woman who wants more than one penis in her life! What a whore!

<heavy sigh>

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 06-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Nah, it's probably not bi people in general - just bi women and straight men that can be poly, right? Heaven forbid a straight woman who wants more than one penis in her life! What a whore!

<heavy sigh>
Actually its usually, in my reading, an aversion to straight men. All women are included
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM

looks like it was a misunderstand. I re-read it..

I think the OP is refering to MONO and Straight (as a combo, not exclusionary) ..

Sorry op.. my mistake
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Oh, I thought she meant she was wondering about mono people and straight people, two separate designations. So, being straight but not mono, I wondered.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Either way, I'm still dating a straight mono, so there is involvement ...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Okay, maybe it's the 100 weather where I am, but I'm finding your posts confusing.

Quote:
I have also recently been doing alot of research on 2012 and have come to the conclusion that this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community.
Quote:
. . . I am in no way promoting doomsday or *survival communes*, but rather am just hoping to find others who may be likeminded in my desire to evolve our culture a bit while still keeping an ear to the ground.
Quote:
Thanks. I was surprised at the initial responses because I thought I was in left field, and was wondering what those with statuses of mono and straight have to do with poly as well.
Okay, so, here are my questions for you...
  • What exactly does this research into 2012 entail? Is it all stuff on the internet? Wikipedia? Scholarly journals? Reading mythology?
  • What is it about 2012 that you are researching?
  • If you are not promoting a doomsday scenario or survival communes, what did you mean by "this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community?"
  • What surprised you about the initial responses you received, and which ones, in particular?
  • Could you clarify your statement where you say you were wondering about mono and straight people being involved in poly?
  • How does this all relate to polyamory - since you posted in the "New to Polyamory" section?
Thanks. Not being argumentative here - just need to understand where you're coming from, and what you're looking for here. It's all rather convoluted thus far.

Last edited by nycindie; 06-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Tags
2012, survival group