Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
What is TVP?
Textured Vegetable protein... its what they make all the mock meats out of, I believe. Soy flour.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 PM

We are easing our way into the vegetarian diet. There are lots of recipes out there but I'm looking for tried and true favorites, preferrably tomato free. (I'm allergic. I can eat them but prefer not to have to depend on allergy pills to keep me symptom free.) No other food allergies that we're aware of. OOPS, Yes, there is. Corn sets off my acid reflux --just canned & fresh, I can eat processed corn as in corn meal, etc.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM

We eat a lot of veggie fajitas and burritos... mexican food rocks for vegetarians. At least in our house anyway

I make awesome salads with nuts and beans for protein... I eat them almost every day. I add anything I can find, including quinoa and rice and any other grain I find kicking around in the fridge. I put cheesies on and pretend they are croutons whaaaat, I love cheesies! Hawkins only though! and those fritos rings too! Gaud! so bad!

We eat a lot of soup too and add canned beans of lentils.

Peanut butter or any other kind of nut butter on sliced apples is to die for as far as I am concerned...

hmmmm,,, let me see. spaghetti with lentils, nutloaf... which is like meatloaf, but better , stir fry with seasme seeds, pizza with various toppings, including veggie pepperoni, and veggie dogs or veggie burgers... in the summer on we have roasted veg in tinfoil packs on the BBQ... or BBQed fruit sometimes with icecream...

And cheese. lots of cheese.... orange heroin in this house I'm afraid. I would love to be vegan again one day, but for now we need our cheese for some reason
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM

I am sloo-o-oowly edging my way into a vegetarian diet.

One of my favorite things I throw together: avocado salsa dip.

1/2 an avocado
1 can of Rotel
1 dollop of sour cream
cilantro to taste
lime and lemon juice to taste

Mix it all up and chow down. YUM. This is also pretty perfect as a summer food, alongside something like ceviche, mango salsa, and such. Goes perfect with tuna fish sammiches. <3
Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 PM

DILLED ORZO WITH SUMMER SQUASH

Read more about it at http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750...248200,00.html

1/2 c. orzo (rice-sized pasta)
1 tbsp. butter
1 c. sliced yellow squash
1 c. sliced zucchini
1/4 c. sliced scallions
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cook orzo and drain. Melt butter in skillet and cook squash, zucchini and scallions until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper and orzo. Serves 4 to 6.

This is a health conscious recipe.

=====

I haven't tried this. In fact, I've never cooked orzo in any way at all.

It looks so utterly simple and fast, which is nice, sometimes.

If you try it, let me know how it was -- or I'll tell you if I get there first.

(I bet even more dill would be good.)

River's Blog
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM

It being my first time cooking orzo, I figured I'd give 'em a quick rince before putting them in the pot. (Not sure why! I guess because I have a habit of doing that with rice, which isn't always clean, and they are rice-like.) Well, I would discourage this rince step! They tended to goop together and I had to really work them in the pot while they were cooking to break them up from clumps. I think I sorta knew better but.... (No, I don't rince any other pasta prior to cooking, and won't make the mistake again.)
Anyway, I was able to agitate the hell out of the orzo clumps with a wooden spoon and break them up.

I used more orzo than the recipe called for, which seemed way too little. And you can put three times or more chopped dill in, if you like dill. In fact, I pretty much ignored the quantities suggested, and threw in lots more scallions than it called for, and replaced the butter with olive oil.

It was an okay dish. I plan to explore other orzo using dishes and invent some riffs on the theme.

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 06-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Tags
cooking, recipes