Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 AM

I see the 'Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus' has been mentioned, very nice.

Twelve angry men is great too.

That 'Bandits' with Cate Blanchett catches my attention because she is awesome (the movies 'Little Fish', 'Notes On a Scandal' and 'I'm Not There' are all great with her) and it is mentioned to have some poly-involvement, neat.

One I'd like to bring up is 'Mulholland Drive'. 'The Fountain' is good, and 'eXistenZ' is another near-perfect movie.

In the winter I watched '(500) Days of Summer' and 'Brief Interviews With Hideous Men'. Both were great, and I'd like to re-watch them soon to see how good they are again...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

The Wizard of Oz is pretty perfect.
I agree, but thought it was almost too trite to mention. It's a timeless hero myth, like the original Star Wars.

Quote:
Casablanca, for sure.

His Gal Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell is the perfect screwball comedy... I think the original Miracle on 34th Street is the perfect Christmas movie.
My favorite Christmas movie is It's a Wonderful Life.

Perhaps it's the word "perfect" that is at issue here. I prefer the word excellent.

I came across this quote recently.

Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.

I don't get perfectionists. Striving for excellence is good enough for me! If you want to be perfect, or do a job perfectly, you will always be disappointed.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 05-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
...Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.

I don't get perfectionists. Striving for excellence is good enough for me! If you want to be perfect, or do a job perfectly, you will always be disappointed.
Then change the word as according to how you feel makes best use of the title. =] Perfection to me is obviously a lot different to most. Films that were excellent are still great. Maybe even add some comments on what you would change to make it perfect for you and you alone.
=]