Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 PM

Default Films that were perfect

This is like a follow on from the "worst movie you've seen" thread. I think it would be great to know what films you felt were just perfect the way they were. A film where you wouldn't change a single thing.

I think I'll start off with 'Back To The Future', 'Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind' and 'V For Vendetta'. These films, I have thought were just perfect from the first viewing.
=]
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM

'Mirrormask'. Neil Gaiman is a genius! For a poly-related film, I literally just watched a fantastic one called 'Bandits,' Cate Blanchett is amazing in it.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Habitat, initially it was rated as a horror, which it isn't, it's more of a bad sci-fi. it's cheesy but i love that movie, love the characters, special effects and the story line.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Excalibur - this is an all time favourite of mine. Having watched it over and over I was able to see someone actually get hit with a sword in the final fight scene and thier response was hilarious!

Arthur and his knights are in a circle and he gets hit on the head by the back swing of one of his own men. He reaches up and rubs it for just a second LOL!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 PM

I loved The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 PM

A film that i founnd amazing was Inception im really into sci fi and everytjing about this movie from the acting to the effects that they used and leonardos acting was amazing and ellen page did great as well. Their is no way she'll be type casted for movies becasue of inception. The ending of that movie made my mind explode!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Some favorite "perfect" films of mine:

Captains Courageous, Casablanca, Miracle on 34th Street, The Firemen's Ball, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Young Frankenstein, Blade Runner, Jaws, Thelma & Louise, Big Fish, The Last Emperor, A Bronx Tale, The English Patient, Unfaithful, In the Bedroom, Shadowlands, Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensibility, My Beautiful Laundrette, Muriel's Wedding, Strictly Ballroom, District 9...

oh, so many great films out there, it's tough to limit a list to a small number.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Metropolis, a 1927 silent German Expressionist/Art Deco science fiction film. Just gorgeous, and sexy, and recently almost miraculously restored to its full length of about 2 1/2 hours, as it was cut to 1 1/2 hours almost as soon as it was released. The musical soundtrack makes you forget you're watching a silent film.

You can see by the images below, this film was an influence on such modern movies as Bladerunner, The Fifth Element and Star Wars.

Also, Queen used images from it in their video, Radio Gaga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUr1pSWTVI

Quote:
Imagine the surreal fantasy of Tim Burton mixed with the obsessive detail of Stanley Kubrick, the dystopian layering of Ridley Scott, and the technical innovation of George Lucas. James Cameron might be King of the World today, but he inherited the throne from Fritz Lang.
from Wiki

Quote:
The film is set in the massive, sprawling futuristic mega-city Metropolis, where society is divided into two classes: one of planners and management, who live high up in luxurious skyscrapers; and one of workers, who live and toil underground. The city was founded, built, and is run by the autocratic Joh Fredersen. Like all the other sons of the managers of Metropolis, Fredersen's son Freder lives a life of luxury. One day, as he is cavorting in the Eternal Gardens, he notices that a beautiful girl has appeared with many children of the workers. She is quickly shooed away, but Freder becomes infatuated with her and follows her down to the workers' underworld. There, he experiences first-hand the horrors of the workers' life...

Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37

Last edited by Magdlyn; 05-19-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 PM

That looks like an interesting film Magdlyn. I also agree with Blade Runner. I am also into a lot of the sci-fi and even quite into science fact. =P It's very interesting to understand and even just to think of things that COULD be. But back to the films... =P

I think any film can count for this too. Not just feature length cinematic stuff. I love a little film called Crooked Rot. It's just a short animation, but it really gets me hooked. =] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjny4qNy24

It's by a guy called David Firth. A lot of people might know him for Salad Fingers. Another few interesting little animations.
=]
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
That looks like an interesting film Magdlyn.
Here's the official trailer made after the film was restored. Note the nudity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSExdX0tds4
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37