Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Myself, as I can best describe me ;)

I am very wordy and I will warn you that this may ramble, despite my very best efforts to keep it brief. I am 28 and, as I told my husband when I met him, "bad at relationships". I don't personally feel that human beings are naturally monogamous and he claimed to agree with me. Previous to dating him, I had tried to force myself to BE GOOD and adapt to a lifestyle that did not come naturally to me. I failed miserably every time. I just feel like I have so much love, but my partners have never been able to understand that developing feelings for another outside of the relationship I am already in does not detract from the feelings I have for them. And, to be fair, I DID make a commitment, which I TRIED to honor, and broke, so I was the bad guy and I was to blame...hence, bad at relationships. Evil cheating whore, what have you.

Anyway, I was unfamiliar with "polyamory", so I decided the best solution was not to enter into another relationship unless it could be an OPEN relationship. To my delight, when I met my husband, he agreed, and I thought we were on the same page. Long story short, well, I'm married and we are allowed to have SEX with other people...oh, but he has to APPROVE of who I want to have sex with, and vice versa...and he has to BE PRESENT...and he would really prefer -- no, INSISTS -- that it's all about sex, no feelings involved. *sigh* Okay, that's not really what I had in mind, and I feel like it's a little too late now, and we've been together about 2 years and I'm feeling the old familiar impulses the CHEAT -- which I hate, because I do LOVE him. I am JUST NOT MONOGAMOUS. And I can see that he will not understand, because unless I am having sex with someone, pre-approved by him, right in front of him, he is going to be all jealous and paranoid about it.

Anyway, I know I meandered off topic, I'm 28, he's 32, married for one year, I have 2 kids from 2 previous relationships, we live in Grand Rapids, MI, I am a full time student, we're both bisexual...although I lean more toward lesbian, quite honestly. That's a whole other issue we're dealing with that would take far more time to explain than I have right now. I usually start out with a committed relationship with a guy, who is (of course) okay with the fact that I am bisexual..."as long as he's involved". I'm usually okay with that, for a while. Then, maybe, he only gets to watch. Then, I guess, I get selfish and maybe sometimes I want to enjoy some female companionship without ogling male eyes and panting and drooling in the background. Maybe I want to lose myself in the moment and indulge in the sensuality. At that point I usually start leaving him out and seeing women behind his back. Most men I have dated have an "all or nothing" attitude, they are involved or it's cheating, and I guess I take the anger out on them that I even HAVE to cheat because they made it that way. Eventually they find out or I confess and of course, that's the end of that.

My children are 8 and 4, my daughter (the 8 year old) has autism and they are both the light of my life. I love camping, music festivals, concerts, reading, writing poetry, and crafty stuff if I'm in the mood. I have been reading tarot for 11 years, I'm pagan, and I'm into meditation and astrology and stuff. I do yoga but I've also been trying to do some more "hard core" exercising lately since summer is coming up. I am passionate about learning and about people. I feel very strongly about equality and justice, and am very liberal. That's me in a nutshell, okay maybe a coconut shell. ;D

As soon as I post this, I will be reading over the site because I am preparing myself for trying to figure out how to discuss with him how to transition our relationship into what I had in mind from the start. If we don't, it's just not going to work out, and I seriously don't want that. I am so sick of failing at relationships but I really think if he would just give it a chance we could be really happy.

Last edited by PixieChick; 05-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you should be having this conversation with your husband. We understand what you need--he needs to know.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 AM

Good luck, I like who you are and I am sure he will too, once he relaxes enough to realize that you are who you are.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Don't be silent nor put up with something that makes you unhappy and frustrated. It's time to tell him what you want and negotiate boundaries!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieChick View Post

and he has to BE PRESENT...and he would really prefer -- no, INSISTS -- that it's all about sex, no feelings involved. *sigh* Okay, that's not really what I had in mind, and I feel like it's a little too late now, and we've been together about 2 years and I'm feeling the old familiar impulses the CHEAT -- which I hate, because I do LOVE him. I am JUST NOT MONOGAMOUS. And I can see that he will not understand, because unless I am having sex with someone, pre-approved by him, right in front of him, he is going to be all jealous and paranoid about it.
Nice to meet you. My wife and I live in Grand Rapids. I am 32, she is 28 (odd, huh?). I understand how your husband feels; I have sometimes felt this way. Of late I feel it is a matter of personal growth to let go and let me wife be who she is. She is more bi to lesbian too in some regards, and this can be a stressor for us at times, but it also opens up potential opportunities.

Psandler
(http://daat-erwat.blogspot.com)
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Welcome to the forum, Pix! From your intro, I like you already .