Monogamy, Polyamory, and Beyond
By Jorge N. Ferrer
Tikkun Magazine
http://www.tikkun.org/article.php/Fe...ory-and-beyond

River's Blog
Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Default NY times article - Pimbwe men and women

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/sc...r&st=cse&scp=1

Interesting article about the idea that women marrying several men either consecutively or at the same time is better than a man doing the same (economically and socially).

In a study conducted in Africa by UC Davis, Pimbwe women benefit more than men by following the same behavior and are regarded higher by society than men who do the same.

Interesting... I have heard the argument in polyamory that women seem to be a driving force in changing sexual and societal roles of partnership and marriage... also that feminism has played a large role in this change.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 AM

I just wanted to bump this topic up as a few of the other threads had mentioned that "evil" book that Mono hates (Ethical Slut) and I was curious as to what books other people have found that are "better" or maybe that focus more on the emotional and other parts of a poly relationship besides the sex, which I agree, ES does seem to focus on. Wow! What a run on sentence! Bad me!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalin View Post
I just wanted to bump this topic up as a few of the other threads had mentioned that "evil" book that Mono hates (Ethical Slut) and I was curious as to what books other people have found that are "better" or maybe that focus more on the emotional and other parts of a poly relationship besides the sex, which I agree, ES does seem to focus on. Wow! What a run on sentence! Bad me!
Honestly, most of the books I've read I've found less than useful from my perspective, though they may be useful for others. Mainly, it's because they offer a bird's eye view of poly relationships and don't offer much practical day to day, nuts and bolts advice. But also, they all seem to be written from the perspective of couples who are moving from monogamy to polyamory or for couples who are already poly and that simply doesn't apply to my situation. Poly singles aren't really on the radar.

My friend Franklin (from www.xeromag.com) is writing a book on polyamory and trying to get it published. I may be biased, but I suspect it'll be more useful for me than most of what's out there.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Default My reviews of 10 poly books...

...are here:

http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/s...iews%20by%20me

Covered there are:

Love Unlimited: The Joys and Challenges of Open Relationships, by Leonie Linssen and Stephan Wik

Polyamory in the 21st Century: Love and Intimacy with Multiple Partners, by Deborah Anapol

What Does Polyamory Look Like? Polydiverse Patterns of Loving and Living in Modern Polyamorous Relationships, by Mim Chapman

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

Polyamory in the 21st Century, by Deborah Anapol

Gaia and the New Politics of Love, by Serena Anderlini-d'Onofrio

The Ethical Slut, Second Edition, by Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy

The Polyamory Handbook: A User's Guide, by Peter J. Benson

Open: Love, Sex and Life in an Open Marriage, by Jenny Block

Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships, by Tristan Taormino

Listed in more or less reverse chronological order.

Cheers,

Alan M.

----------------------------------------

Tags
books, reviews