Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 AM

Great night for a walk, very cool biut nice. Gloomy (yes sg is it gloomy ) but one of those good nights. Luckily I live in the mountains so up and downs happen. There is no fla here. Got home, hit the weights and going to have a nice dinner with pengrah.

I have missed working out haha
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 AM

Took a walk around the block with the kiddos at work today then went to the local mall and did 2 laps.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM

I've been lazy on the gym in the last few days, but I've been walking and taking the stairs and cleaning so I've stayed active. Today going to go for a nice long brisk walk and then hit the gym for weights on the way back. Thought about some intense cardio at the gym, but I hate running in place, no matter what music I'm listening to.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerprincess View Post
thought about some intense cardio at the gym, but i hate running in place, no matter what music i'm listening to.
ditto! Blech.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM

I worked out last night for the second time this week. Yay! I did intervals on the treadmill, which make it so much more interesting: Warm-up, then intervals of 1 minute at a fast pace, two minutes of a normal pace, repeated until the cool down, which is a slower than normal pace. I don't run on the treadmill - I racewalk, which is more difficult and actually burns more calories than running because you have to always keep one foot in contact with the "ground" and it demands more energy, while running helps conserve energy (a good resource to learn more about that is the book Walking by Casey Meyers).

Anyway, did that for just 20 minutes, because it was the last hour before the gym was closing, and I needed time to go upstairs to work with free weights. I love strength training and am grateful that my ex taught me so much about proper form. Both this time and the last, I was the only woman on the free weights floor, and I could see the guys looking at me when I came in. Here they are groaning and grunting with their big machines, and this chubby, grey-haired old lady walks in. They probably expected me to work with only 5-lb weights. But after a few minutes, I could see them admiring the exercises I was doing and my form - which was mostly perfect! You don't see too many women in a non-bodybuilder-focused gym doing dead lifts for some reason.

Yay, this morning, my weight had dropped a little bit more.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I worked out last night for the second time this week. Yay! I did intervals on the treadmill, which make it so much more interesting: Warm-up, then intervals of 1 minute at a fast pace, two minutes of a normal pace, repeated until the cool down, which is a slower than normal pace. I don't run on the treadmill - I racewalk, which is more difficult and actually burns more calories than running because you have to always keep one foot in contact with the "ground" and it demands more energy, while running helps conserve energy (a good resource to learn more about that is the book Walking by Casey Meyers).

Anyway, did that for just 20 minutes, because it was the last hour before the gym was closing, and I needed time to go upstairs to work with free weights. I love strength training and am grateful that my ex taught me so much about proper form. Both this time and the last, I was the only woman on the free weights floor, and I could see the guys looking at me when I came in. Here they are groaning and grunting with their big machines, and this chubby, grey-haired old lady walks in. They probably expected me to work with only 5-lb weights. But after a few minutes, I could see them admiring the exercises I was doing and my form - which was mostly perfect! You don't see too many women in a non-bodybuilder-focused gym doing dead lifts for some reason.

Yay, this morning, my weight had dropped a little bit more.
Congrats on the weight dropping! That's always a great feeling

I'm really clueless with weights. What do you recommend for all over toning? Calves, butt, thights, hips, arms... everything. I'm doing good with the cardio. Either walking at a good pace for 45 mins to an hour or doing high intensity on the elliptical for 20-30 mins or 10 mins on the bike and 10-20 on the elliptical.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerprincess View Post
Congrats on the weight dropping! That's always a great feeling

I'm really clueless with weights. What do you recommend for all over toning? Calves, butt, thights, hips, arms... everything. I'm doing good with the cardio. Either walking at a good pace for 45 mins to an hour or doing high intensity on the elliptical for 20-30 mins or 10 mins on the bike and 10-20 on the elliptical.
Thanks!

Any woman interested in weight training should visit stumptuous.com. The site owner, Krista, has been sharing advice on strength training for women on her site (now a blog) for years and years. Krista has an awesome bod. Especially check out the "From Dork to Diva" section which explains in detail how to do the exercises correctly. My workout is very basic, uses compound exercises to save time, and is based on a routine that Krista emailed me years ago - it's an all dumbbells total body workout (I never liked doing upper body one day and lower body another):
Beginner, Full-Body 2: Get In, Get Out, Go Home

This workout is done either 3 x weekly, or on alternating days (1 day of workout, 1 day of rest, 1 day of workout, and so forth). You can even do this workout only twice weekly and see some gains, say on a Monday-Thursday split. Never do this workout two days in a row. Rest no more than 60-90 seconds between sets (you might want a little longer between squat sets).

squat 2 x 15-20
deadlift 2 x 15
standing shoulder press 2 x 12-15
one-arm dumbbell row 2 x 12-15
bicep curls 2 x 15
calf raise 1 x 15
weighted crunch 2 x 12-15
This routine takes about 30-45 minutes, tops. Those numbers mean how many sets of how many reps. For example: 2 x 15-20 means two sets of 15 to 20 reps each. Krista either has pics and instructions of each exercise or links to pics and videos on other sites. Not every site out there shows good form that protects the back.

Experiment with how heavy to go with the weights you use. Since I'm starting out after a lo-ong time not working out, I'm going pretty light. For shoulder press, and because I have cranky shoulder joints, I use 7.5 lbs (I'm talking in each hand); bicep curls, I use 10 lbs; for all the other exercises, I currently use 20 lbs. Although the standing shoulder press works the triceps, sometimes I throw in triceps extensions with very light weights, like 5lbs. I will also occasionally add walking lunges to practice balance (I know I said this is only the second workout I've done in a long time, but I used to do this regularly 4x/week). Women are usually stronger in the lower body already, so it's fine to have more upper body exercises than lower.

There are some classic books I recommend (some are out of print but can still be found):
*A Woman's Book of Strength - Karen Andes
Flex Appeal - Rachel McLish
Fit Happens - Joanie Greggains
The Interval Training Workout - Joseph and Kimberlie Nitti
Stronger Abs and Back - Dean Brittenham
Fat Free and Fit - Cory Everson
No More Aching Back - Leon Root
Goodbye to Bad Backs - Judith Scott

*If you can only get one, get this one!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 05-13-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Thanks Cindie! Looks awesome.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 AM

I need some motivation to get my butt out the door for derby tonight. Bad couple of days at work and I'm just not feeling it.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
I need some motivation to get my butt out the door for derby tonight. Bad couple of days at work and I'm just not feeling it.
Derby derby derby derby....

Exercise will make you feel better. Go to derby

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane

Tags
loss, self-esteem, self-growth, support, weight