Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Custodian

I suggest searching for posts by XYZ123 and Vandalin. They both have stories that are along the lines of what you're asking for, but seeiing as how they both you know, have more children now and are kind of busy, they haven't been on here much recently.

And of course there's always redpepper.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
I found something RP mentioned in another thread (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9721) very intriguing. She described how she and PN took a break from poly while they were having their baby. So my question is; is this something a lot of people do? Taking a break from poly while trying to get with child and rearing them?
We seem to be doing the opposite - our girl is scheduled to arrive shortly before our baby is due (she is long distance now). I do worry that it will be a lot of change to adjust to at once. On the other hand, it will be great to have an extra person around to help with the baby and the household, not to mention much-needed female companionship for me. I can see why people would want to take a break from dating, but in our case we are all committed to each other already so it doesn't make sense to take a break.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelina View Post
I can see why people would want to take a break from dating, but in our case we are all committed to each other already so it doesn't make sense to take a break.
That would be a logistical nightmare in our life. I've always had my nearest and dearest friends as "family" and they've been a GODSEND with raising my children.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM

I think it depends on where you are at relationshipwise. If you aren't in any active relationships when baby arrives, it is such a lifechanging event that you may not have energy at least during the first few months. However, as you adjust you figure out how to go back to having a bit of a social life, though it takes more planning than before.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 AM

*Raises hand*

@ BlackUnicorn,

We took a break.
Mind you, 10 yrs ago, we weren`t in a 'poly' or open relationship so to speak. We called it 'exclusive swinging'

Poly was a word associated with those misfit polygamists,(in our minds back then) and we didn't want to be associated that way.

When I became pregnant with my daughter, ( not long after losing a baby at 5 months gestation) I pulled away. Wanted to do things 'right'. I was scared of being caught, outed, whatever. Scared something I did, caused my loss.

So it was my doing. Of course it didn`t make sense in hindsight. I was grieving, and made choices that were permanent.

If I knew then what I know now,... I would of kept the relationships going, and given the people we cared about, a chance to prove they were capable, trustworthy people, who wouldn't make silly mistakes at our expense.

I didn`t give them that chance. Most definitely,..my bad.

So today,..we still have no wish to be outed, or in the open. That will always be. However, we give people a chance to prove they are on board with us. If it`s not quite fitting right,..there are other options, and we can date away from home.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 AM

We had no relationships going on when we got pregnant with our boy and he was born. He was our relationship. We felt that we couldn't justify giving our time to others and taking it from him. We were way into attachment parenting and this was part of it for us. He didn't leave me until he was over a year (LB and I were in one bed, PN in another) and I breast fed him until he was three. I had barely room for PN in my life at the time. I'm glad we did it that way, because all the literature and my gut was right, this boy needed all I gave him in the way of attention, attachment, and time. It was so worth it.

I think if there was someone like Mono in my life back then, they would of been a part of that. Any part of my immediate family would be. I just wouldn't and didn't start something new with anyone. It wouldn't of been fair to them really and my head wasn't in it at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Yep, the breast-feeding part, while not exactly a problem, is a bit of a challenge right now, because when the baby needs to eat, Mum is the only one who can provide atm. But on the other hand, it's not really time away from the kids Mrs. needs right now but time away from housework to spend with the kids, and I am more than happy to provide!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 AM

Default first live in girlfriend

My husband and i have always dated girls and had some relationships lasting up to 6 months but it has always been hidden from the kids. We are now dating a girl and want her to move in with us. Our biggest concern is our 8 year old and 6 year old and the ? about why we all sleep in the same room. can anyone give me some advice. THANKS
Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Custodian

"Because we're grown-ups, and grown-ups can sleep wherever they want. When you're a grown-up, you can sleep wherever YOU want."
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 AM

Keep it simple. Folks seem to mess things up by trying to give children much more information than they need or can process. Just tell them that you three like to sleep in the same room and that they'll be able to decide on their own sleeping arrangements when they're adults.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Tags
acceptance, child protection, children, co-habitate, coming out, definitions, explaining poly, families, family, kids, parenting, primary, secondary, social services, telling, triad