Do you work in the ID field?

BlackUnicorn

In the 'Personal Summaries' thread, I noticed a lot of people on this forum work with people with developmental/intellectual/learning disability (myself included).

Is this just sample-blindness on my part or is this actually common? Because the one other community I'm somewhat familiar with and which exhibits the same occupational trend is the sex-positive community :D.

I work non-profit with disseminating self-advocacy skills among people with ID, btw.

That too! OkCupid keeps on suggesting I get it on with programmers, which is good thinking on OkC's part - I barely have the skills needed to send e-mail as it is!

I think people who work with computers are less likely to find a stigma attached to using an online dating site ... It's funny, when I was last on POF, people said in their profile "Don't worry, if it works out, I will totally lie about how we met!" I thought, why?? Would you rather meet someone in a bar, take them home, and then tell everyone how you met if a relationship develops?

It's all about perspective, I suppose!

I too get the giggles from others when I tell I have an active profile and/or am going to meet someone I've only talked on-line with before.

Sadly, I've never actually had a successful romantic relationship that developed entirely out of on-line dating. Have made some cool friends, though. I think it's because you can't figure if you are actually sexually attracted to someone out of pictures only, so the people I have gone to meet have not been attracted to me that way.

On the other hand, sometimes attraction develops over time or I am totally attracted to someone I've never even seen a photo of, so I think I've just had a stint of bad luck.

Maybe there is that one special programmer for everyone out there :D.

Back