Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
You can also take a mega dose of Vitamin C, or even put some Vitamin C tablets internally (without bioflavinoids), to create an acidic environment and help prevent pregnancy. See: Using Vitamin C to Prevent Conception (Ascorbic Acid)
Ooh, thanks! I learned about two new birth control methods on this thread, yay!

As a permanent royal fuck-up in what comes to safe sex combined with good resistance to all forms of reliable birth control, the day my periods start is a cause for celebration EVERY frigging time.

Now I'm back to condoms (have had such a brilliant history with them before - now I'll remember to change after 30 mins), but hormonal contraception for me works as a really good way to kill all my sex drive and make me highly unresponsive (or the other way around). I'm seriously considering an IUD but I'm really worried about the side effects.

Abortion or adoption are really not options for me, and cause I'm on medication and want to be able to catch on a pregnancy as early as possible, I can get a bit paranoid about the whole thing.

I'd love to be able to fluid-bond with my sweetheart, but am just too paranoid to really make it happen. Unless he's snipped and I'm IUDed, maybe.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM

I have a copper IUD and like it. It's definitely made my periods heavier, but I had pretty light periods before, so it's not the end of the world for me.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any specifics. (I'll spare the men folk from gory details. )
Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
I have a copper IUD and like it. It's definitely made my periods heavier, but I had pretty light periods before, so it's not the end of the world for me.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any specifics. (I'll spare the men folk from gory details. )
Please, don't spare them. *rolleyes*

Opal, I'm so glad you're not pregnant!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:

That's just the trouble! We men have been able to spare ourselves the "gory" details for too long! Makes us more likely to be careless (and uncooperative).
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Please, don't spare them. *rolleyes*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
That's just the trouble! We men have been able to spare ourselves the "gory" details for too long! Makes us more likely to be careless (and uncooperative).
Points taken. Feel free to ask anything you want here.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Location: :P Cautiously looking around this new world that seems to fit...

Hormonal contraception isn't the greatest either... personally I am not only resistant but highly reactive... depending on the dosage.. I can go from (high dosage) almost manic depressive to (low dosage) bleeding out for 18 days and a trip to hospital via ambulance along with having to be put on a heart monitor... as for the contraceptive side of things... my eldest was the result of sheer stupidity (17yrs old), my second was conceived while on a mid-dosage pill, and my third was... well sheer thoughtlessness on my (ex)husbands part and my own inability to protect myself (abusive situation) - I didn't know I was pregnant with my third until I was mid term and starting to show as I had periods the entire way through the pregnancy.
All up I have had 7 pregnancies and 4 terminations (all but the first pregnancy/termination with the same partner*) - one of those was mid-term, each of these I think about every day, and wonder what if... and the mid term... she was perfect** another pregnancy I hadn't known about til I was at the 19week mark... but I couldn't bring another child into that environment and I did not have the strength to leave at that stage (I live with the guilt and shame of those choices every single day).

It is the height of disrespect to 'accidentally' fluid bond, and from what I have read in this thread - it wasn't accidental... he knew he wasn't protected, others have commented on that - so I won't go into it. just wanted to get my own two cents in and give another viewpoint on the absolute necessity for proper protection.

Edit *My exhusband was an abusive prick who took what he wanted when and how he wanted... he was aware I was unable to take the pill or other hormonal methods, and was uninterested in protecting me... until after the 7th when the doctors told him I was unfit for the marital bed, (I could not risk further pregnancies) unless he got the snip... (Of course it wasn't for another 6 yrs or so that I found out he had had an affair (and countless one nighters) for at least every year of our marriage... guaranteed he wasn't using protection there either)

**I just wanted to add - the reason I said the midterm termination was perfect... after 20 weeks, it must be delivered as one would a normal pregnancy, you have to go through labour, and give birth to a stillborn baby. This is a very traumatic experience for anyone, and from the perspective that you chose to end that life - mindfucking to put it mildly...

Engaged to my sweetheart, WaterWolf

my blog (non-poly) Pearls & Pixiedust

Last edited by FlameKat; 04-08-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM

So sorry to hear about your losses, FlameKat.

Since the gore is now officially out in the public, I want to ask TP and any other copper IUD users - how do they put it in? Are you awake during the procedure? Does it hurt and for how long afterwards?

Also, I read that during intercourse/fingering you shouldn't really feel the strings. Do they hang outside the uterus, or is that a sign that something is wrong?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
So sorry to hear about your losses, FlameKat.

Since the gore is now officially out in the public, I want to ask TP and any other copper IUD users - how do they put it in? Are you awake during the procedure? Does it hurt and for how long afterwards?

Also, I read that during intercourse/fingering you shouldn't really feel the strings. Do they hang outside the uterus, or is that a sign that something is wrong?
For me, it was put in while I was on my period, as that's when the cervix is most dialated. I was also given a pill to insert vaginally the night before to help with the dialation.

I was awake for this ... It's not horrible, but it's not pleasant either. The worst part is the cramping. They were very, very unpleasant for a few hours after the procedure (walking around helps!), and stronger than usual for the duration of that period and the next.

The strings do sit outside the uterus, though not by much. If your partner feels them, you might need to have them adjusted. If left too long by the doc, they will poke your partner during intercourse. This is an unpleasant sensation, similar to scratching (or so I am told). From what I understand, they will curl around the outside of the cervix naturally, when cut properly. Once, mine "uncurled", and that's when Mr. A got poked. I was able (with much maneuvering) to shift the strings back into place.

So yes, it technically is possible to feel them during fingering, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoyed being fingered that way!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
So yes, it technically is possible to feel them during fingering, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoyed being fingered that way!
I know , but I just recently was fingering a lady and totally was hitting her cervix . Like I have long fingers, sure, but I think she was exceptionally small, too.

When I hit the over-sharing mood, there's no stopping me.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
I know , but I just recently was fingering a lady and totally was hitting her cervix . Like I have long fingers, sure, but I think she was exceptionally small, too.

When I hit the over-sharing mood, there's no stopping me.
Well, it didn't bother my finger any when I was moving things back into place ... However, the same cannot be said when the strings hit more sensitive areas!

Tags
birth control, fluid bonding, iud, safe sex, stds