Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Polyamory Survey - Participants Needed!

Thank you for taking the time to complete the following survey which is towards my thesis research for my Bachelor of Arts degree, major Sociology, at Algoma University. The focus of the study will be centered on how long-term couples, married or common-law, in a sexually open committed relationships (i.e., they have open, honest, sexual, loving relationships with others in addition to their spouse or other committed partner) negotiate and view commitment, jealousy and trust. Do note that this questionnaire is designed to be completely anonymous; your personal answers will be disclosed to noone. Please try to answer every question as best as you can.
If a word or phrase could have more than one meaning, please interpret it
according to your own usage.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns about your participation in this study you may contact myself, Tracy Mack, at mstracymack@gmail.com or tmack@algomau.ca or my thesis supervisor Professor Harvey Briggs, my supervisor for this project. You may reach Mr. Briggs at 949-2301 ext. 4310 or by e-mail Harvey.Briggs@algomau.ca.
Thank
you, and have fun.

Click here to take survey

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 04-01-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM

I have a problem with some of the questions.

3. There are only two options. I feel there should at least be an "other" box
4. Why is "self" included? How can you not live with yourself?
6. What if you love many people and you love only one of them a bit less? Not that I can personally count, but are you supposed to say you had "a" favourite, when you loved 3 out of 4 people and had less of a connection with the fourth, or something? It seems poorly phrase (on top of being a pretty dick question to ask. It's like asking children if they have a favourite parents or parents if they have a favourite child)
8. My relationship is polyamorous with a single partner currently. What do a say, polyamorous with a primary partner? I don't do the primary/secondary hierarchy thing, I feel that's not really accurate of an answer. And it's not monogamous either since we're both poly. (And what is "open monogamous" even supposed to mean? Isn't that an oxymoron?)
16. I'm not sure how to answer these. I mean, if we use condoms until we're tested, do I check both? It's not the same as having to be tested and still using condoms afterwards, which some people do. And is approving of other partners really safer sex? If your partners approves of your other partners and you don't use any protection, you might still all get STDs...

I stopped writing my comments about there. Question 29 is the same as question 7 again, some questions that are on two lines have 2 checkboxes instead of one, lots of questions about favourites, lots of questions I'm not sure how to answer or that don't apply to me (what do you say when something is fine, but isn't happening right now?) Not too fond of this questionnaire, I have to say. I wish there were boxes to comment on each question, or somewhere at the end for the whole thing. Some of the questions are interesting, but some of them feel like I'm being asked "which of your kids do you enjoy beating up the most?" when I don't have kids, nor would I beat up any of them if I did. In other words, I'm not sure how to answer some questions at all.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 PM

Default Reply to Tonberry

Thank you for taking the time to make me aware about the problems with my survey.....I'm very sorry that you found it awkward in places. I'm doing research in this area as it really intrigues me but it is a learning process for me as well, I hope to grasp a better understanding of how people who live a polyamorous lifestyle negotiate jealousy and commitment. I wish I could change the survey you have mentioned above but I cannot change it presently as I will lose the data I have collected so far. I do sincerely apologize that it was not constructed in a better manner, I worked very hard on it and had a couple friends who live a polyamorous lifestyle take it before posting it for others.....

But I do want to thank you for taking the time to do the survey and to let me know what was lacking in it and I apologize that it did not allow you to answer some of the questions in the manner you would have liked to

Sincerely,

Tracy
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM

I just wanted to point out what came to mind, as I thought it could be useful. I completely understand that you don't want to lose the data collected so far, and that I might simply not be the right target for the survey.

Anyways, I wanted to give some feedback. I hope you get useful data.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 AM

I went and took a look at the survey. It is less than optimally written, I hate to tell you.

From the beginning:
5. Have you loved more than one partner at the same time? Yes or No
6. Did you love them equally or was one a favorite? Equally or Favorite

Now, obviously Question #6 can only be answered if Question #5 is answered "Yes." So why is Question #5 even there? Or maybe it's Question #6 that shouldn't be there, depending on what you want to find out.

Also... #18 asks if there is an agreement for a partner to spend nights alone with a lover. You say if the answer is "No" then not to answer the next question about how often the partner does this. YET ~ there may not be a literal agreement, but that does not mean a partner doesn't spend nights with someone else. Furthermore, what if the amount of time spent with someone else is not predetermined, and just kind of happens when it can? So, weekly, monthly, or every six months could all apply. Finally, these questions all seem only to pertain to partners that live together. To a solo poly person, or someone in a LTR, those questions do not entirely make sense.

The survey is rather skewed toward sex habits of partners who live together. It also doesn't really seem to be about polyamorous relationships, per se, as much as it is simply about non-monogamous sex. But I am sure this whole process will teach you a great deal -- probably mostly the fact that answers about polyamory don't easily fit into a survey!

Good luck!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Yes, I am finding that, even within the literature, categories are extremely fluid as most literature from the 1970s and 1980s define polyamory as a typology of swinging.......even though the term 'polyamory' was coined in the 1970s......and thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Tracy, I very much wanted to complete your questionaire but I felt it didn't apply to me at all...as I am mono but my wife is the polyamorous one. So my answers would be be that my relationship is completely monogamous, which would make no sense and skew your results up.
I feel this is a major failing on your survey, as mono/poly marriages/relationships seem to be quite a big percentage of the relationships on here, and mono partners are likely to be the ones (arguably) who suffer the most from jealousy issues, yet also we have to be adaptable and creative in dealing with them.
Good luck anyway with your thesis and your course.

Actually I looked at the survey again and there is an empty box at the top . I presume that is for additional information? Maybe you would like me to put brief details in there that would put my answers in context?

Last edited by vodkafan; 04-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Oh wow! I never thought of couples where one was monogamous and one was polyamorous.....how you deal with jealousy issues would be of great value to my research, so please feel free to use the empty box at the top of the survey! and thank you!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigurl View Post
oh wow! I never thought of couples where one was monogamous and one was polyamorous...
Couples ???

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Yes, where in a couple one was monogamous and one was polyamorous.....