Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I had no interest in reading this before, but the more I see you talk against it, the more curious I am to find out what the big deal is. I think I'll see if the library has it so I don't waste my money.
My wife read it and she concluded that polyamory was mostly just about the sex. The focus of the book is general nonmonogamy, not polyamory. I liked it, but I think it can give a false impression of polyamory to someone new to the situation.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I had no interest in reading this before, but the more I see you talk against it, the more curious I am to find out what the big deal is. I think I'll see if the library has it so I don't waste my money.
Interestingly enough, the poly people I know seem to enjoy this book so your take will probably be different than mine. I guess it's because the whole concept goes against my wiring. Just as if I gave a book about how to be a ethical monogamist to those in my poly community would likely respond.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Interestingly enough, the poly people I know seem to enjoy this book so your take will probably be different than mine. I guess it's because the whole concept goes against my wiring. Just as if I gave a book about how to be a ethical monogamist to those in my poly community would likely respond.

You should already know that I'm not "like" the OTHER poly people! :P

I just want to (try to) read it myself and formulate my own opinion, rather than saying "Most of the poly people liked the book so I probably agree with them because I agree with them about other things". When I was in my teens and 20's, I used to take on new ideas and then look for ways to validate or justify them. As I near the end of my 30's, I find myself exploring and validating new ideas and views BEFORE I take them on. It's the same way with new people. I used to LOOOOOVE everyone UNTIL they did something unworthy; now that love or like needs to be earned FIRST.

A book can be poorly written or well written regardless of the topic, and one does not HAVE to agree with the author's point of view in order to make reading the book worthwhile.

In any case, I have requisitioned it from the library so I'll let you know what I think when I know what I think and not a moment sooner. Oh, but all you empaths out there will let ME know first!