Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 AM
aclarke aclarke is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Question im confused, please help!

hey all, i am new to this site and am seeking some advice or anything really to help me in my situation..
i'm not even sure if u can really call it polyamory or not.. but here goes.

i have been with my partner for nearly a year and when i met him i fell completely in love with him. we dreamed beautiful dreams together and began creating these dreams in reality..

from the very beginning, even before we got together, i told him that i believe that in life you should be able to do anything that you want to do.. to feel like you have experienced everything you have wanted to and that when you get into your older years, that you look back on your youth and not regret not experiencing something you really wanted for the sake of someone or something else.
it has taken the better part of the year we have been together for him to understand that. he thinks/thought you should be totally free within a relationship except physically.

i have always felt the need to be free and express my love for people however i feel i should in that moment and if that means grounding that love with a sexual experience then you should do it.

another beautiful man came into my life and i knew i wanted to experience with him everything i felt for him.. it has been a long and complicated couple of weeks. i have fallen in love with him also.

my partner doesnt believe you can be in love with two people at the same time. however i know you that you can.. i was never expecting to fall for another.. i only wanted to explore what my soul feels like it should with him.

but now i love them both so much i dont know what to do. i feel if i dont make a choice today, my partner will make the choice for me and then i will lose them both. i wish i could just be with them both, but they dont think like me and no-one i know personally thinks or feels like i do either..

im so confused.. did any of that even make any sense?
please help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 AM
NIMchimpsky NIMchimpsky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
from the very beginning, even before we got together, i told him that i believe that in life you should be able to do anything that you want to do.. to feel like you have experienced everything you have wanted to and that when you get into your older years, that you look back on your youth and not regret not experiencing something you really wanted for the sake of someone or something else.
I think that's a beautiful philosophy to live by.
Quote:
i have always felt the need to be free and express my love for people however i feel i should in that moment and if that means grounding that love with a sexual experience then you should do it.

another beautiful man came into my life and i knew i wanted to experience with him everything i felt for him.. it has been a long and complicated couple of weeks. i have fallen in love with him also.
This to me sounds like polyamory.
Quote:
my partner doesnt believe you can be in love with two people at the same time. however i know you that you can.. i was never expecting to fall for another.. i only wanted to explore what my soul feels like it should with him.
If I were you I would explain to him that some people's hearts are monogamous and other people's hearts are polyamorous. For some people, I'm guessing him included, it's only possible to fall in love with one person at a time. For other people, like you and me, it's possible to fall in love with more than one person.

Quote:
but now i love them both so much i dont know what to do. i feel if i dont make a choice today, my partner will make the choice for me and then i will lose them both. i wish i could just be with them both, but they dont think like me and no-one i know personally thinks or feels like i do either..

im so confused.. did any of that even make any sense?
please help.
If I were you I would try to explain polyamory to them. This is the analogy I use. Many monogamous people see love as sort of a pie. If you date more than one person, then you're cutting the pie in two halves. The more people you date, the less love you give to each person, the thinner out you spread your love. But for polyamorous people, we can fall in love 100% with several people. For us, there is no pie. We feel love as something that is infinite, so we can fall in love just as deeply with more than one person, without feeling like we're cutting up a pie into pieces.

Hope I could be of some help.

nim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 AM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

This is not anything new here! There are lots of great people with good advice and I'm sure you will find some help.

Read as much as you on the threads and see if things apply. You're not alone

I have no advice sadly..I don't get it either LOL!

Wlecome to the forums and take care
Mono
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Quath Quath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 504
Default

I agree with NIMchimpsky. Introduce them to polyamory and let them discover how other people see this. It may help to point them to a poly FAQ like http://www.faqs.org/faqs/polyamory/faq/ or one of the many others.

Try to get them to give some time to understanding before they make a big decision on it.

I wish you well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 PM.