Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post

Q: Is it ever too soon? To say I love you?
A: Better too soon than too late. (just my opinion)
This is exactly my thought process when I wonder if it's too soon.

I did end up telling him. When I thought I was going to lose the chance to ever do it. Hubby had hit his lowest point thus far, and I couldn't do it to him anymore (we've since reestablished our boundaries and are starting back at the very very basics). I went in and talked to J and told him what was going on. He went to leave and he hugged me and told me everything was going to be okay, and I told him I know, and that not to freak him out, but I love him. In some way. I wear my heart on my sleeve. That's me, and I'm not ashamed of it.

I still don't know in which way.. there are so many ins and outs to him. I don't know if I love him in a familial way, if I love him in a romantic way. I love who he is at the core, and who he is to hubby. I still don't know if he will ever be right for me in that respect... but I love him regardless. I'm glad I told him. I felt an overwhelming sense of relief. Everything is still a big question, but my feelings have not changed.. he is one of those people who have made an impression on me and will always have a place in my heart.

I intend to invite him to read our threads and this forum, probably tonight. Don't know if he will, but I hope so!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

It's only too soon to say it if it's really just the euphoric chemical bath you're experiencing and not love. That's why sometimes it's better to give it time to sort out what the feelings are before saying anything.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Maybe just let the actions speak for themselves? Showing it instead of saying it? That's what I had to do.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 AM

I'm glad you went for it. That would've been my suggestion.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:58 AM

I'd say it is the consequences. That one little word can change a lot of things for many people. The people on this board toss it around a little easier, but it still has far reaching effects.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM

How did he react when you said those 3 little words?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree with Beodude.

Besides, if you really love them, the enthusiasm to share it with them, will always be there. Taking time is a selfless act, in making sure they cherish the words with the intention given, rather then feeling overwhelmed.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Totally depends on the recipient. I would err on the side of not saying it. But thats because I see love as rare, and I rarely feel it for others. In my early days that would have had me balking. things have changed a bit, but I think most people err on the side of caution when using those words.

Being patient with something as rare and precious as I love you, is not a bad thing.

I hope it went well for ya
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
How did he react when you said those 3 little words?
He hugged me tight and said "I love you guys too".. which I know he does. He really respects our marriage. I didn't expect him to say anything, and didn't care. I just felt like I needed to say it, I've never been one that holds back whether it be friends, family or a romantic interest. I feel it's important to tell the people we love that we love them as often as we can. There isn't a day that goes by that Beodude and I don't say it to each other, and that's the way I like it.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 PM

I tell those I love that I love them every chance I get, but certainly I don't tell them the first time until my will really gives in and I just have to say it. To me, that's the sign that it really is love. At the point where I have to say it and can't stop myself.
=]

Tags
love, self-expression