Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 02:37 AM

MindfulAgony - I don't believe I've seen your posts before. I like them. I would like to meet you someday, I sense some common energy here.

Quote:
This is ridiculous.

I've been noticing a slight pattern in a few threads that I find unsettling, and that pattern is ill communication followed by harsh words, which leads to upset members, and, bringing up the rear, a bad vibe.

Frankly, I don't like it.
I was inactive here for something like 6 months and almost deleted my account becuase of that kind of stuff. I don't post much these days for the same reason.

I read this whole thing, front to back, in one sitting. Quite an exercise. And interesting, too. It has managed to turn into something quite meaningful if you look.

I wouldn't mid a bit more "revolutionary" fire around here, lol. But too many revolutions start with fire and end up with ashes. So kudos to the many voices of reason here as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 AM

I agree hma.
We need a fire, that will continue to burn, not one that leaves us homeless with ashes.

So.... how do we get that a going? I'm game to work on it....

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM

First we need to agree about what we are promoting exactly... I suggest we look at it not as promoting "poly" or any other specific type of relationship, but rather promoting the general idea that monogamy is WRONG, just kidding... promoting the idea that monogamy should not be considered the "default" arrangement underlining relationships but rather one option out of many, and that monogamy should not be granted any legal or social advantage over other arrangements. (yea right... good luck to us... but, if we don't try...)

English is not my first language so you need to work on the wording...
Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Frankly, if English isn't your first language, American kids should go to whatever school taught you. Because if not for your several statements to the effect that English isn't your first language, nobody here would have known. Your north american English is better than the vast majority of people who live here, not kidding. A few spelling and grammatical errors, sure - but again - fewer than most native speakers. The only one that really jumped out at me at all was you use of "plane" instead of "plain" in one of your first posts.

Basically, what dis has postulated is pretty close to how I'd put it, right down to the sarcastic joke, lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Yea that was plane stupid of me... :-)

That school is called "too much TV"
Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disillusioned View Post
First we need to agree about what we are promoting exactly... I suggest we look at it not as promoting "poly" or any other specific type of relationship, but rather promoting the general idea that monogamy is WRONG, just kidding... promoting the idea that monogamy should not be considered the "default" arrangement underlining relationships but rather one option out of many, and that monogamy should not be granted any legal or social advantage over other arrangements. (yea right... good luck to us... but, if we don't try...)

English is not my first language so you need to work on the wording...
Hysterically funny (the last post before this one of mine-where you said too much tv).

Anyway, your English is very good. Maybe you could get a job teaching English to us Americans?

I completely agree with the above quoted statement! I'm ALL FOR that as a goal!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Hi,

1) Establish an association of all the "poly" "open" "swing" etc organizations / clubs - something like "World Federation of Non-Monogamous ... something"

2) Collect the contact information, address etc for each and every club / organization on the planet.

3) Put these addresses on a mailing list and inform everybody that they just joined the WFNM... and they can leave if they want by opting out.

4) Establish a website, make a monthly newsletter with news, new literature, etc, write a manifest (a long one, and a shorter one), a "how to" start a club locally, etc etc.

5) Fundraise.

6) A year later, organize a WFNM "awareness day" and proclaim it an international awareness for yada yada yada. Organize a demonstration in DC, Los Angles, London and a few other places and demand equal rights, etc.

7) Some of us will be invited to Good Morning America, etc, the national / international press will cover it, people will start talking about it, students around the world will write more about the subjects, more books, research, the topic will become "mainstream".

8) More people will start to talk about it, more people will "come out". Traffic to the website will explode new clubs and organizations will pop up everywhere.

(here start the humorous part)

9) 20 years down the road, the number of marriages will fall by 20% and birthrate by 35%. Historians will declare that as the end of the western civilization.

10) The CIA will put many of us on their watch list because they will be "tipped off" by the far right that we are Al Qaeda operatives. I will suffer a terrible "car accident" but all of you will know what really happened.

(end of humorous part)

I'm of course the last person who can pull this off... I see many of you run blogs and are heavily involved already, maybe you can divert some of your allocated time for this cause.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Dis..., et al,

Anyone working in this sort of direction should be familiar with existing organizations (and their history, efforts) and institutions, which already exist both nationally (in various nations) and internationally. Googling will turn them up. Try the search term "non-monogamy"

River's Blog
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I average more than 25 times a month with Maca, and that's been pretty consistent throughout our 12 year marriage barring times when there was medical problems inhibiting it...
Wow! Where do you get your energy!?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 AM

Why would we want to deny any legal advantage or "special" treatment to those who practice monogamy? The vast majority of modern civilization practices monogamy. To me this rings of the same train of thought that there should be no "personal possessions" that is held by some anarchist friends I have. If people chose to live outside of the norm then they shouldn't begrudge the benefits to those who do. Stop expecting people to give up things and figure out ways to get them for yourself if you are jealous of them...that's like trying to tear down a neighbor's house to achieve parity instead of building up our own.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Tags
activism, anarchy, biology, books, monogamy, poly anarchy, poly revolution, research, revolution, sex at dawn, studies