Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disillusioned View Post
I dig. Good word and post (no joke)

But here is one : I suggest a new word - Orgamism, for people who object the practice of self indulgence. Either Orgamism or Orgasmism :-)
Would that make me an Orgasmaphile?

My poly story begins here. Now with new blogging action!

A google search reminded me that I'm not the first to coin "monogamism".

It's worth noting that (a), dictionaries vary in usages of many or most words, and (b), language is always changing and "evolving". Here's one usage of "monogamist".:

monogamist
n
(Sociology) a person who advocates or practises monogamy
monogamistic adj

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

"Advocate" in the above can also take up various interpretations and kinds / degrees. I could, for example, "advocate" for left handedness while not wishing to impose it on right handed people. Or a right handed person may "advocate" for the notion that all left handed people should become right handed. Someone might even say (i.e., advocate) that left handedness is morally inferior, or that it should be strictly enforced by law or by social custom (again, via shame, guilt, indoctrination, etc.).

River's Blog

Polyorgasmic, maybe?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
But here is one : I suggest a new word - Orgamism, for people who object the practice of self indulgence. Either Orgamism or Orgasmism :-)
Hmm.... What are your word roots (cells?) here? ... Oh, I get it ... orgasm. What's so "self-indulgent" about that? Unless enjoying a walk in the sunshine or a nice nutritious meal counts as "self-indulgent". ///?///

River's Blog
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Wow Penny, I just read your story... thats so wild. Was the reason you wanted to open up the relationship sexual? Because I can imagine a story where a married woman meets someone, falls in love with him, but then doesn't want to leave the husband and the whole thing comes up... but here it sounds like you first talked about it and then met someone ... so why did it come up in the first place? If it was just for sexual reasons, why not swing or.. something like that? Did you feel a need for a new relationship from an emotional pov?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Would that make me an Orgasmaphile?
Oooh, I like that. But I like it with an "o" because "Orgasmo" sounds more fun, like a ride at an amusement park, heh-heh.

I'm a Multi-Orgasmophile.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM

You know, there is another thing I don't get about monogamism ... from what I understand about American calture, during college and High School, people "go out" "not exclusive" with each other... in other words, its perfectly fine then to "bang" with a few people in the same time and its totally OK (and of course be in an emotional connection too with all of them, at least I hope... I'm using the word bang just to be funny again) anyway... so in college its totally OK but then once you are out of college ... game over, it becomes borderline illegal.

What's the story with that?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Where are you throwing out the only once a month statistic from, last I heard the most common rate for long term couples was once a week (and given that one has to deal with job, baby etc. draining your energy, once a week is pretty much all one has energy for...) it is not because you are tired of your partner. My partner and I are still delighted with each other (though we don't insist on monogamy, your poly sounds more like - I got bored so I'm moving on serial monogamy, rather than, I love you but I still have room for more love poly).
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
You know, there is another thing I don't get about monogamism ... from what I understand about American calture, during college and High School, people "go out" "not exclusive" with each other... in other words, its perfectly fine then to "bang" with a few people in the same time and its totally OK (and of course be in an emotional connection too with all of them, at least I hope... I'm using the word bang just to be funny again) anyway... so in college its totally OK but then once you are out of college ... game over, it becomes borderline illegal.

What's the story with that?
You are generalizing again. Are you basing this on American television? Plenty of high school and college kids are monogamous and in long-term committed relationships without any banging of other people going on. So-o-o many people I know stayed with their college sweethearts and were faithfully mono throughout their college romance and for years afterward.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM

In my mom's day it was expected that teenagers would date a bunch of other people simultaneously, though not have sex with anyone until they got married in their late teens to early twenties.

In my day, serial monogamy was the rule.

I don't know what kids these days are doing, really. If I took the popular media seriously, I'd think everyone was fucking everyone else indiscriminately, but I don't think that's an accurate representation.

I am 42, btw, to put that in perspective.

Disillusioned, I'm on my way out the door (on a date with the boyfriend, actually) and will respond to your direct question to me when I have a chance to give a considered reply.

Tags
activism, anarchy, biology, books, monogamy, poly anarchy, poly revolution, research, revolution, sex at dawn, studies