Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disillusioned View Post
Happy Women's Day to all you girls out there
WAHAHA! Total fail. Love it! (This is a joke right?)

Last edited by redpepper; 03-09-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post

I saw that too and thought the same thing

Last edited by redpepper; 03-09-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I didn't say that the individual *practice* of monogamy is wrong. People can do whatever they want. It was my post, I was talking about myself.

I repeatedly said that I'm talking in theoretical / academic / philosophical terms, and when I said that "monogamy is wrong" I was referring to the totality of what "monogamy" represents as outlined in the many posts above.

[a hegemonic superstructure - accepted a priori and presented as our default and natural behavior]

According to you, nobody should say that "Racism is wrong" because he might be offending someone.
Monogamy should not be conflated with monogamism. (Look up monogamy in a dictionary if you need to.)

Monogamism (my coinage -- to the best of my knowledge) is akin to sexism, racism, heterosexism, ageism, etc.... There is NO DOUBT that much or most of the world has deeply entrenched monogamism. Monogamism is enforced in numerous ways, usually involving fear, shame and guilt, and sometimes also involving law. Typically, breaking with monogamy is a taboo and results in the same sort of treatment from people as, say, breaking with the homosexuality taboo (or worse).

A cultural revolution is both called for and underway. It can't be too swift for my taste. It's dragging mighy slowly these days -- often because its allies fear backlash.

River's Blog
Old 03-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I must admit to ...
Good post, Charlie! Quality does take time, and it's a good reminder. At the same time, fire under out butts is also needed. No revolution happens without tension. Thanks for helping to define intelligent tension in this revolution.

River's Blog
Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Thank you for the apology, disillusioned.
Awww. This warms my heart!

I like D's fire. I feel some of that myself, and I'm glad to have well reasoned water for my fire around, as in the case of Charlie's cooling comments. We need a fire, but not too hot a fire -- nor too swift. But not too slow, either. These discussions help us regulate the temperature.

River's Blog
Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post

Today is International Women's Day. But I do have to agree on the total fail of wishing Happy Women's Day to all us "girls" out here.

Last edited by redpepper; 03-09-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahfluke View Post
Today is International Women's Day. But I do have to agree on the total fail of wishing Happy Women's Day to all us "girls" out here.
It did seem a bit unnecesssary, didn't it?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry, I don't get it. I didn't want to write "happay women's day to all women" because it doesn't sound right, so I used "girls". Is that word used only for young females? Was it wrong of me? Should I apologize AGAIN? The IWD is big in Europe, in some countries its a national holiday.

By the way, I'm sorry I didn't use the word monogamism ... a word which you invented ..... I apologize for that too.... anyone else requires an apology?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
By the way, I'm sorry I didn't use the word monogamism ... a word which you invented ..... I apologize for that too.... anyone else requires an apology?
No need for an apology. I was merely trying to distinguish monogamy as a practice from enforced monogamy, for the sake of clarity.

In our world, some people are left handed and some are right handed--, and right handedness shouldn't be imposed on left handed people.

... some people are same sex attracted and some are "opposite" sex attracted (and some are attracted to both sexes)--, and "opposite" sex relationships shouldn't be imposed on anyone.

... some like country living and some like city living while others prefer suburbia .... Nothing should be imposed here, either.

Etc..., etc....

"Society" now generally requires people to pay a steep price if they stray from monogamy, and this is "monogamism". Monogamy should be treated as one valid option among several rather than a social requirement. And there's nothing at all wrong with saying that monogamy isn't quite so "natural" as people imagine it to be. I'm fine with that, and I don't think saying that (or making an argument to that effect) makes one guilty of anything. Other than having an opinion.

River's Blog
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM

I dig. Good word and post (no joke)

But here is one : I suggest a new word - Orgamism, for people who object the practice of self indulgence. Either Orgamism or Orgasmism :-)

Tags
activism, anarchy, biology, books, monogamy, poly anarchy, poly revolution, research, revolution, sex at dawn, studies