Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflame88 View Post
After a quick online search, here is a list I found.... "Splendor" (1999) Greg Araki (Johnathon Schaech, Matt Keeslar, Kathleen Robertson)
"an excellent movie. It is about a MFM triad, and covers the beginning of the poly relationship, and they have to decide, when the female becomes pregnant, how to keep the family together. The two males have to work together to show how much they really need the female and how much they love her. ... a good ending"
It looks interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLG3UgJzrnQ
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshades View Post
Hi,

any suggestions for polybooks? i can think of Marge Piercy's Summer people.

The Outlander series has a poly triad in it. Around book 6 or so.

The Kushiel series has a STRONG poly theme and it's positively so. It also has a strong BDSM them in the first 3 books particularly... just as a warning to those who may be uncomfortable with that.

I've read every book of both series and loved both thus far. New books due out in each late summer.

The Wheel of Time series supposedly has a poly-theme too. I haven't read it. My 11 year old is reading it and he says "well yeah DUH it has a poly-theme mom". Not sure what the heck that was supposed to mean!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Default The Kids are All Right -- not!

Did anyone see this and hate the ending as much as I did?? All I could think was, "If only...."
Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 AM

I saw this one when it came out and am summarizing from memory, so hopefully my memory is accurate.

There's a made for TV movie from the nineties starring Farrah Fawcett, Lea Thompson and Peter Weller called The Substitute Wife. I think it deals interestingly with a number of poly issues.

The wife is dying and wants to find a replacement wife for her husband. She finds a prostitute played by Farrah Fawcett who wants to get out of the business. Farrah's character agrees to marry the husband after the wife dies and comes to live with them, on their property in separate lodgings, and the husband courts her and falls in love with her. The wife, who is unable to perform sexually, encourages her husband to become sexually involved with his prospective bride, they do, and then the wife's illness goes into remission. The husband and wife resume intimate relations. They deal with the fact that he and Farrah's character still have feelings for each other and live in a poly V for a time until the wife's illness unexpectedly returns.

I think that's pretty poly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111304/

My poly story begins here. Now with new blogging action!

Last edited by Penny; 03-01-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Poly in sci-fi television

There was a scene in an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (the sexiest Trek, IMHO), during the time when Worf has begun to court Jadzia. They have a date, and he goes to her quarters to pick her up, and when the door opens, a muscly bald guy leaves. He and Jadzia are all sweaty and she is toweling herself, and says "thanks for a great workout" to the guy who's leaving, but it was something like wrestling they were doing and the way it all came across was very sexual. She's totally unselfconscious and unapologetic and doesn't understand why Worf is jealous. I think there were a few more instances where Jadzia's "friendships" with other males come into question in that episode.

There was a species with a polyamorous culture on Star Trek: Enterprise. The Denobulan tradition is that every male has three wives, each of which has three husbands. Dr. Phlox on the Enterprise is Denobulan. I just happened to catch an episode with some delightful scenes with poly in its storyline. Dr. Phlox's wife Feezal is visiting the Enterprise while it is docked somewhere. I transcribed two fun scenes:

DR. PHLOX is in the sick bay. COMMANDER TUCKER, the chief engineer, stands at the entrance and asks if he can speak to Phlox privately. Phlox welcomes him in. Tucker enters.

TUCKER
Malcolm says this is a bad idea, but
I think it's the right thing to do.

PHLOX
What's that?

TUCKER
Feezal... I mean, Mrs. Phlox... is a
lovely woman and she's very smart.
She knows more about quantum
optics than anyone I've ever met.

PHLOX
She is remarkable.

TUCKER
Remarkable. Yeah, she sure is.

TUCKER appears bashful.

PHLOX
Was there something else?

TUCKER
(visibly uncomfortable)
There is. You've got to understand,
I've been the perfect gentleman.
Absolutely nothing's happened.
She's trying to... she's... she's um,
making advances, if you know what
I mean.

PHLOX
Sexual advances?

TUCKER
I'm afraid so.

PHLOX
(grins widely)
Has she offered to give you a rose
petal bath?

TUCKER
No, no, nothing like that.

PHLOX
Oh, any man would be a fool to
ignore the romantic overtures of a
healthy Denobulan woman. Haha!

Tucker hangs his head.

PHLOX
(perplexed)
Don't you find her attractive?

TUCKER
Sure! I mean, no, she's your wife!

PHLOX
(shrugs)
What does that have to do with it?

TUCKER
She's your wife?

PHLOX
Oh nonsense! Nonsense! You're
too concerned about human
morality. I thought you wanted to
learn about new cultures. Isn't that
why you joined Starfleet?

TUCKER
Of course it is, but I was brought
up believing you don't play around
with another man's wife - and I
don't think I'm ever gonna change
my mind about that.

PHLOX
Your loss.

Phlox shrugs and walks away.

-----------------
SICK BAY - LATER
Phlox and Tucker stand together, looking at a microscope, and make adjustments to some of its dials. The door opens. FEEZAL, Dr. Phlox's wife, enters. Phlox's eyes light up.

PHLOX
(to Feezal)
My beloved.

Feezal and Phlox bring their faces close together and inhale each other deeply (a Denobulan kiss). Tucker squirms, looks away.

PHLOX
I certainly hope it's not another
four years until I see you again.

FEEZAL
So do I. Now, remember, your other
wives are anxious to see you, too.

PHLOX
Commander Tucker assures me
he'll keep your beautiful microscope
in perfect running order.

FEEZAL
As his doctor, I hope you'll keep
Commander Tucker in perfect
running order.
(looks at TUCKER
flirtatiously)
Perhaps that would motivate me
to visit more often.

Tucker looks like a trapped animal that wants to run away.

PHLOX
(to Tucker)
It's a shame you two didn't... get
to know each other better.

TUCKER
(to Phlox)
I've got to get back to my warp
engine. The plasma's running a
little hot.

Feezal takes a step closer to Tucker, looks up at him.

FEEZAL
I know how it feels.

She smiles at Tucker coquettishly. Phlox, on Tucker's other side, grins at his wife proudly.

TUCKER
(to Feezal)
Uh... pleasure meeting you.

He quickly exits sick bay. Feezal stands next to Phlox. They watch Tucker leave.

PHLOX
Humans!

They both giggle.

--------------------

Of course, there's also Londo Mollari from Babylon 5, who was def poly! From Wikipedia:

"His relationship with women is complex, having to manage his three wives and a mistress (Adira). When Londo is granted the favor of a divorce from two of his wives as a gift from the Emperor, two of the wives, Daggair and Mariel, battle for supremacy in the group, each trying to convince Londo that she loves him best so that she won't lose the status the marriage gives her. The third wife, Timov, refuses to play along, making her disdain for Londo well-known. However, when Londo is poisoned, ostensibly by Mariel, it is Timov who secretly saves his life by providing him with a blood transfusion. In spite of not knowing this, Londo chooses to remain married to Timov: "Because, with you, my dear, I will always know exactly where I stand." This, along with his relationship with the beautiful Adira, make for a man that accepts the truth over beautiful lies and who respects the women he loves and who love him truly."

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 03-03-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Cool

^Thanks for reminding me of those great poly examples from Star Trek and Babylon 5.
The Denobulans were definitely one of the best examples of poly in any science fiction. Too bad they dug into it for only one episode, really.
I seem to recall another episode of ST Enterprise where they met a three-gendered species....and it required all three to procreate. I dunno if that's fully poly or not...guess "trinogamy" is more apropos.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Pretty much any decent science fiction will have a dose of poly in it. Much of it more than a dose. My personal favorites are, of course, the Heinlein books--- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress should be required reading for all newcomers to poly.

I'm also a big fan of Farscape, and Season 3 when Aeryn has to choose between two clones of Creighton really rings the poly-agony bells. More recently, Caprica depicted a poly family as being the most normal thing in the world and didn't even bat a critical eye. They just introduced the character, and her husband, her other husband, her third husband, and all their wives, as if it was all perfectly normal, which in their society, it apparently was.

There's a lot of crossover between poly and SF. Want to find a poly couple to date? Go to an SF con.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 AM

In the music realm, there's David Crosby's "Triad." Jefferson Airplane covered it, and that's the version I suspect most people are familiar with. It's the one with the line "Why can't we go on as three?," which I always thought was the name of the song until just the other day, when I was searching for an MP3 on the web to use as a personal ringtone for someone very special.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 AM

Location: Up a winter mountain hoping NOT to get snowed in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshades View Post
Hi,

any suggestions for polybooks? i can think of Marge Piercy's Summer people.
Marge Piercy has a polyamory slant in several of her books. My favourite novel of all time (actually in a 3-way tie with Lewis Carroll's Alice books) is her sci-fi utopia "Woman On The Edge Of Time". Non-possesive relationships play a major part in that. "Small Changes" includes a V that ultimately goes sour, it's been years since I read "Dance The Eagle To Sleep", but I think that that (a novel about a modern "tribe"), too, had poly aspects.
Some of them don't deal with polyamory, but with the "sexual revolution" in which women also got exploited. ("I feel guilty if I say no.") Certainly in ALL of her books (she's my favourite living author), Piercy comes down firmly in favour of women's sexual autonomy.
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Location: Up a winter mountain hoping NOT to get snowed in...
Default What!!!

I'm really surprised that nobody yet has mentioned Pleasantville, a 1998 American fantasy comedy-drama written, produced, and directed by Gary Ross. The film stars Tobey Maguire, Reese Witherspoon, William H. Macy, Joan Allen, Marley Shelton and Jeff Daniels. Here is a trailer on YouTube.
I fell in love with the Joan Allen character (the hinge in the V). Watch out for her (incendiary) discovery of orgasm (self produced)! The polyamory doesn't run right through the film (and I don't want to spoil it for you by expounding on this), but the scene at the end on the bench is just wonderful. As is the one of the son cross-examining his father in the courthouse. (I like the whole film, and it's got the best cover version of "Across The Universe" [by Fiona Apple] that I've ever heard.) I've seen it on video, dubbed into Spanish, as well as in original American (cut up into 10 minute "chapters" - and missing one chapter) on YouTube.
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson

Tags
art, artists