Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
I'm a bit suspicious that the required infanticide to allow the group to migrate around (can't do that with piles of babies and toddlers!) eventually created the pressure to switch to agriculture. Just idle speculation but it would seem there would eventually be anti-infanticide pressure, and the solution would be "don't travel around", leading to agriculture.
I sure as heck haven't studied this-so I don't know.

But I'm wondering why one would think that infanticide would be necessary in order to allow for migration (understanding of course that this would be on foot).

The reason I wonder is that when SpicyPea was born, I had no car and no access to public transportation. I had to get groceries, pay bills, all of those things. I had no phone either and I lived in a town where I didn't know anyone. I also didn't have a stroller. I did have a sled in the winter that I could pull her in.

I walked. Up to 1 year, I carried her when I walked. I had to walk MILES daily to get where I needed to go.
She started walking at 8 months and was proficient by a year.
At a year-she would walk with me. She would get worn out after a mile or so and I'd carry her for a bit, then she'd walk more.

By the time she was 3, she was easily and comfortably walking upwards of 5 miles with me, without any break.

I had a car before any of the others were born, but often don't use it.
It's roughly 2 miles to town, and until 11/09 I walked into town and back out 5-6 times a week with all of the kids (no other adults). The "little one" was in a stroller after she was too big to fit inside of my coat. I did this all winter and summer (winter temp -10F to 30F)....

(From Nov '09-April '10 I was on bedrest due to surgeries)

The youngest is now 3. She walks when we go somewhere. She can easily RUN for over a mile without a break, at that point she just needs to drop to a walk for 5-10 minutes and then is able to run again for a mile.... She could do that all day.
It's not unusual for me to walk 5-10 miles a day in the summer...

So-in watching the kids in my life (Most of that time I babysit as well, so not just my biological children); it's my experience that at a VERY young age they are capable of walking and that especially if the mother is used to doing that sort of physical labor, the mother is capable of doing it whilst carrying a baby/toddler as much as they would need-presuming that both parties are healthy...

Anyway-I know that people DON'T tend to live this way-at least in America. But-I'm still finding it hard to believe that they COULDN'T...
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
I'm a bit suspicious that the required infanticide to allow the group to migrate around (can't do that with piles of babies and toddlers!) eventually created the pressure to switch to agriculture. Just idle speculation but it would seem there would eventually be anti-infanticide pressure, and the solution would be "don't travel around", leading to agriculture.
Don't assume that all that fucking always resulted in pregnancies. I am sure the mothers nursed their children much longer than many modern mothers do today. You can nurse a child for two years, five years, whatever - it's natural birth control, and enables a few years' spacing between offspring. Many native cultures still do this intuitively. The prevalence of children born close together began when birth control (which has always been around) became a sin, and later when it became fashionable to use formula, and wean babies after just a few months.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 02-06-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 AM

...well, with my limited armchair-anthropologist credentials I will say that I do think forcing weaning has been one of humanity's most sad mistakes; when I think about the rise in agriculture it seems to be more like a knee-jerk reaction to scarcity (starvation during ice ages would lead new generations to try and find a more static food source, one could guess...) Of course, as I said, that's just speculation. But it makes more sense in my head than any other theories I've read.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 AM

^^ makes sense to me, just as the Green Revolution in agriculture has actually resulted in more starvation, even as it has produced ever higher yields of food. Management is always to blame.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Why would I complain about social evolution that provided the stability to create modern society? I like cities, technology, homes, medicine and organized protection for people. I don't see stepping back in time just for the sake of justifying sexual freedom as any positive move for a civilization.

I'll stick with agriculture thank you very much.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 AM

I love technology (not such a big fan of "organized protection"...) and I'm fond of cities myself, from a cultural standpoint.

I don't think anyone's proposed "stepping back in time," but more that if we understand why and how our past evolved we might have better insight into what we do now. I'm not so much a fan of agriculture, as I think it's led to slavery and crappy food, among other forms of oppression.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes View Post
but more that if we understand why and how our past evolved we might have better insight into what we do now.
Nicely put and makes perfect sense to me

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyfish View Post
I'm looking for books to help my husband understand how I feel and what I want.
What Does Polyamory Look Like?
Mim Chapman, PhD

Reviews:
http://www.mimchapman.com/polyback.php
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
[I]I found this quote in a book I bought yesterday, which I want to recommend highly. The book is titled Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With The Heart Of A Buddha, by Tara Brach, PH.D.

Most, if not all, relationship difficulties and challenges have some of their roots in self-esteem issues. This book shows how to shine the light of compassionate awareness on one's own self, thus liberating the powers of self and other loving. I can't recommend it too highly! The author has a real knack!
Pasting this from another thread... I will be getting this I think... PN can read it and tell me what its about (its our thing)
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Default My Reviews of Ten Poly Books...

...are here:

http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/s...iews%20by%20me

Covered there are:

Love Unlimited: The Joys and Challenges of Open Relationships, by Leonie Linssen and Stephan Wik

Polyamory in the 21st Century: Love and Intimacy with Multiple Partners, by Deborah Anapol

What Does Polyamory Look Like? Polydiverse Patterns of Loving and Living in Modern Polyamorous Relationships, by Mim Chapman

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

Polyamory in the 21st Century, by Deborah Anapol

Gaia and the New Politics of Love, by Serena Anderlini-d'Onofrio

The Ethical Slut, Second Edition, by Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy

The Polyamory Handbook: A User's Guide, by Peter J. Benson

Open: Love, Sex and Life in an Open Marriage, by Jenny Block

Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships, by Tristan Taormino

Listed in more or less reverse chronological order.

Cheers,

Alan M.

----------------------------------------

Last edited by Alan7388; 05-28-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Tags
books