Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Golden Nuggets

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Free Ebook "A Poly for a Partner"

....Surviving a Polyamorous Relationship when you aren't Polyamorous

I am close to finishing a little pdf ebook for monos who suddenly find themselves in a polyamorous relationship. It is a short, simple work based on my own experience. I have written it because there seemed to be a need for people who suddenly find themselves confronted with polyamory and want immediate help without having to wade through the longer or more academic books.

If you would like a copy please message me with your email and I will send a free copy to the first twenty people in return for some constructive feedback or a recommendation I can use.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 AM

I don't think that trying to determine whether something is a "good" or "bad" read and/or book is about any one factor, e.g., being poly, mono, etc. We often have different tastes in literature regardless of the topic. There are preferences for styles of writing, length of a book, simplicity, complexity, fiction, non-fiction......in addition to those for whom reading anything is a major chore or simply boring. I think that in offering a book suggestion or review on this forum it's important to talk about where the author(s) is coming from, e.g. spiritual/metaphysical, research based, personal experience, "how-to" ,etc. I don't think it's appropriate to turn it into a bashing of anyone else's opinion or viewpoint.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
....Surviving a Polyamorous Relationship when you aren't Polyamorous

I am close to finishing a little pdf ebook for monos who suddenly find themselves in a polyamorous relationship. It is a short, simple work based on my own experience. I have written it because there seemed to be a need for people who suddenly find themselves confronted with polyamory and want immediate help without having to wade through the longer or more academic books.

If you would like a copy please message me with your email and I will send a free copy to the first twenty people in return for some constructive feedback or a recommendation I can use.

Thanks
Sage, I just went and read some of your blog. I love how you express yourself. Beautifully written, with good information and insight. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM

http://www.sexatdawn.com/

This book was passed around our camping site... it's excellent is the word on the street. I read some interesting parts of it and it was part of a big discussion that was very interesting.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
http://www.sexatdawn.com/

This book was passed around our camping site... it's excellent is the word on the street. I read some interesting parts of it and it was part of a big discussion that was very interesting.
I just finished reading this last night and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who is interested in a different perspective on the nature vs culture question as it relates to sexuality and particularly open marriage and poly.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swheeler11 View Post
for those of you interested in reading more academic research on polyamory: There are several researchers who are focusing on polyamory right now, and whose work has been very helpful to me as i prepared for my own research. I highly recommend meg barker and darren landridge's understanding non-monogamies--it's an expensive book (so you may want to see if you can get it from a local library), but it addresses the widest range of the poly community i've seen yet, and contains some very thought-provoking essays. I also recommend looking up articles by elisabeth sheff, meg barker, or ani ritchie (maybe through google scholar, or your local university's journal databases). There was also an issue of the academic journal sexualities from 2006 that focused solely on poly issues; again, your local university might have a copy or online access to it.
fyi
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Meg and Darren are actually friends of mine (Meg's in my extended poly network). They've also just launched a new research journal that they both edit called "Psychology and Sexuality- Advancing Research and Global Perspectives on Sexualities". Meg also organizes research symposiums on sexuality that are pretty awesome.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Default self esteem

"Ten Days to Self-Esteem" by David Burns, heard this was really life changing
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 PM

While not about polyamory per se, a book I'm finding to be an incredible resource is "Passionate Marriage". This book is about the dynamics of a relationship as it pertains to emotional maturity, an ability to "center" and stay in balance even when there is tension, the need to break out of "emotional fusion", and how even those who claim "no communication/no connection" are typically emotionally fused. It's also goes deeply into sexual styles, modes, orientatations, and the pragmatic means to become extremely intimate with a partner, right up to intense spiritual experience. Among many other insights, it's helping me understand my partners desire for what is needed (friendship->romance, "the full meal") to meet her need for a variety of sexual experiences.

Highly recommended!

-Zinc
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 PM

The Seven Levels of Intimacy.

I think it's the best relationship "self-help" book I've ever read.

Tags
books, reviews