Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 AM

Oh my the love on here is so bright! It's great!

I think NRE can come with every stage of a relationship. I feel NRE for the new stage I am in with Mono too. It's NRE for a more grown up version of what we had. I remember telling him about how much I love my husband and that it could be like that between us. He didn't get it at the time and was concerned that our love would die out and I would get bored with him. How can I possibly get bored or run out of love when the communication abounds complete with radical honesty and with keeping our goals in mind. NRE seems to continue to come around for me as long as those goals are similar and nothing gets left unsaid.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
He didn't get it at the time and was concerned that our love would die out and I would get bored with him. How can I possibly get bored or run out of love when the communication abounds complete with radical honesty and with keeping our goals in mind. NRE seems to continue to come around for me as long as those goals are similar and nothing gets left unsaid.
I get it now, Lilo
Expect lots of communication!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 PM

"I think a lot of people give others a free pass on unacceptable behavior, because "Well, it's just NRE." I look at NRE not unlike I look at the behavior of a woman on her period. Some people handle it well. Others don't. But I'm not going to say it's acceptable to treat a person poorly just because it's that time of the month. Neither am I going to excuse a person for treating someone poorly just because they have NRE."

Someone wrote this on the FB group I belong to, I thought it was worth repeating and discussing if anyone wants to. Speaking as a woman who understands what it feels like to be crazy on my period and crazy on NRE... the relation to one another makes sense to me

Last edited by redpepper; 12-26-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
"I think a lot of people give others a free pass on unacceptable behavior, because "Well, it's just NRE." I look at NRE not unlike I look at the behavior of a woman on her period. Some people handle it well. Others don't. But I'm not going to say it's acceptable to treat a person poorly just because it's that time of the month. Neither am I going to excuse a person for treating someone poorly just because they have NRE."

Someone wrote this on the FB group I belong to, I thought it was worth repeating and discussing if anyone wants to. Speaking as a woman who understands what it feels like to be crazy on my period and crazy on NRE... the relation to one another makes sense to me
Yeah. That.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Well, this is fun! I was going to start a new thread, but decided to use the tag search function (I has netiquette) and found my answer here.

I was going to ask if one can have NRE for friends. I think I met new friends today. No one ran away in disgust, and no one spit food, and we had fun and civil, AND POLY, conversation.

I've been pretty unwell for at least two weeks, and haven't had energy to do my things that must be done for longer than that. Today, I did more than I've done on one weekend day for a long time. I don't care if it's friendship NRE or that I'm final feeling better (or both), I'm just glad to have it.

NRE in my relationship (my polyship?) my vee, is interesting to me. I have been doing the rollercoaster. I really appreciate how rekindling my sexual relationship with First bf is making me appreciate Current bf even more. In many ways this is old slippers for all of us, but in many more, it's brand new territory.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 AM

I've also been thinking of NRE a little of late. I've had numerous poly relationships in my past and numerous mono relationships. I don't really think of myself as poly or mono, but rather tend to work towards structure and comfort zones that seem appropriate at the time.

I have a question for others though, I tend to equate NRE as part of falling in love... I can't recall experiencing NRE outside of that. I have not felt NRE for partners I may love and adore... But are not in love with.
And I also feel that part of falling in love is the total abandon to that process. I don't have any interest in turning down the volume on that one... If anything I'm likely to want to turn it up :-)

Do other people link NRE to falling in love?
Or do others experience NRE outside of falling in love ?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM

I very often feel NRE for things other than falling in love.

When I started my last degree, I can remember walking on air for weeks. And the same when I finished it.

I've had it over jobs.

Very often over platonic friendships.

And also with falling in love.

I have tried to take out and look at the feeling to see if I feel it differently when falling in love and I don't. It's pretty much the same thing to me. Lots of giddy excitement followed by the work and effort of trying to make the new bright thing in my life work.

I've sometimes wondered if that is part of the reason for me being so contented with being single for so long. The need for that sort of feeling in my life can be fulfilled whether or not I'm in a relationship.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM

The NRE from my LDR is making me feel like a damn 16 yo kid again!!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM

I think I'm going to start using "New Situation Energy" instead of "New Relationship Energy" because yes, I do feel it outside of relationships and friendships, whether it's a new (to me!) car or a career change or what-have-you.

TGIB and I have been trying to figure out if we're still in NRE (oops, I mean NSE! :P) or not. We do enjoy spending an AWFUL lot of time together, and since we are currently a LDR it makes sense that NSE could still be affecting us. (15+ months dating total, but only 5 months since making a commitment to each other that we're in this for better or for worse.)

Whether we are affected by NSE right now or not, I'm pretty sure we will be when he moves out here in June. It will be a new situation AND a new relationship as we figure out what is the same from our LDR and what has changed being around each other every day. In some ways, as excited as I am to have him here and to watch him create the life he wants, I'm even MORE excited for the chance to be completely over/out of NSE with him. I want so much to have that comfortable, "yes, I love you but I don't have to satisfy my craving RIGHT NOW because we have all the time in the world" feeling.

Tags
new relationship energy, nre