Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Flaunting poly in public

Sometimes when our triad is out and about I like flaunting the fact I have 2 girlfriends. Other times I feel like I should not flaunt it, but it's fairly obvious anyhow. Besides a few evil stares nothing terribly bad has happened when we have been out together as a group.

Has anyone here had any bad experiences with people saying or doing something when they see some sort of "group" poly experience?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Not I.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:24 AM

Never had experience yet. I don't think I'd ever push it out there that I was poly though. I'd treat a poly relationship the same way I would a mono. Just with more people. If I had 2 partners, I would hold both their hands down the street and such. But I wouldn't do it skipping and singing "I am poly la la la la" =P
=]
Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 AM

My initial embarrassment usually turns into giggles. The men, I think, just revel in that "Don't hate" sensation. And she... I think she is amused by it all... and plays with it
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 AM

I put no energy into anything like that. I keep it to myself. I like to remain humbly grateful that they want to walk with me anywhere where people know that we are three. After all, there is some stigma for partners on either end of a vee. There is stigma in being the hinge too. I respect that far more than I feel the need to be outwardly proud. Pride to me comes with being confident in myself, so I stick to my beliefs and am ready to advocate for them if need be.

I am not attracted to people who brag or show off as if there is some kind of competition, so I don't do the same in return. I just act happy, content and myself as if I were on my own. When I feel the need or desire to show affection to either one I do naturally without any attachement to the action. I just don't go there at all; in a nut shell. There is usually too many other things to think about and do.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:29 PM

I like to show off my women. period. Whether I'm doing it in public...or whatever. I like to shower them with affection. They do that for me....so I like to return the favor. And if someone has a problem with it...well...I just don't care! Unless the person who has a problem with it is one of the women.

For example, V works in a place which if they saw her doing that, would possibly fire her. So we try to keep it low key.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Showering with affection is different than showing off no. Different energy entirely to me.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 AM

We were recently out to a concert and both gents held my hands and we were naturally affectionate. I was pleasantly surprised by any lack of reaction from those around us.

Quite refreshing to just be.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
We were recently out to a concert and both gents held my hands and we were naturally affectionate. I was pleasantly surprised by any lack of reaction from those around us.

Quite refreshing to just be.
I like the just be" also different than "flaunting," no?

Not that it really matters. Flaunting is quite valid, just different than just "being"
Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I like the just be" also different than "flaunting," no?

Not that it really matters. Flaunting is quite valid, just different than just "being"
Yes, different to me, RP. Was just commenting more on poly in public.

Funny, I was proud to be out with the guys, but not in a look-at-me sort of way. I was proud of each of them for who they are and felt lucky to have not one but two wonderful men.