Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 AM

Ship has sailed as in he's today who he'll be forever. He stands behind what he believes versus my approach -try everything once and evolve as needed.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Custodian

OK... What redpepper said then.

It's kind of cute when young people think they're old.

As they get older, watch them start talking about how "young" they are.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Hi Audgirl,

As others have mentioned, or at least hinted at, I think you two need to sit down and have a conversation about what your ideal would be vs what's realistic.
Searching around, here or anywhere, you'll find quite a lot of discussion around this topic. It's very rare that you get even two people clicking, let alone 3 or more. Setting that up as an expectation is sabotage right from the start.
I think you two should acknowledge this right now. As Geezer mentioned, you never know which way the winds of change may blow. I've seen more than one relationship where the initial chemistry was only lukewarm in the beginning but grew over time as people really got to know each other on a deeper level.
But even beyond that hope, it's just more reasonable to allow room for each other to have deeper loves while the other is more on a friendship level. That's NOT a source of conflict - unless you make it so.

Think it over............

GS
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudGirlOut View Post
Ship has sailed as in he's today who he'll be forever. He stands behind what he believes versus my approach -try everything once and evolve as needed.
People do change. One of the worst things anyone can do in a relationship is to take for granted that the person they are with is always going to be the same. The challenge is always to look at our partners with "new eyes" and to see them afresh, each day. Human beings are always changing and evolving, no matter how solid or stagnant someone appears to be. I know this might not address your original post, but it is something that stood out for me in this thread and I had to respond.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudGirlOut View Post
I don't know if that has anything to do with age. It might just be the type of person he is. My mom told me once that there are 3 types of people, the play doh type who easily change and mold throughout their entire lives; the clay type who tend to change easily as young people but get pretty set in their ways at a certain point and are hard to change after that and the rock type, those whom are who they are at a very early age and with whom it takes a lot of work and chipping away at layers to have them change any aspect of who they are. No one type is better than another but with your husband if he is to change it will be a slow process, be patient with him.