Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Meetings and Events

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Default Wanna Hang Out (Not Have Sex)

I live in Springfield, MO. I joined a couple poly groups on Yahoo but the nearest people live fourty five minutes away and don't even talk on the Yahoo group so I doubt they'd talk much in person. If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestsandFullMoons View Post
I live in Springfield, MO. I joined a couple poly groups on Yahoo but the nearest people live fourty five minutes away and don't even talk on the Yahoo group so I doubt they'd talk much in person. If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.
Not quite true actually. I live in Ontario, Canada. I don't participate a lot on some lists but I love to talk in person. I DO have a life aside from the computer and have decided to live it instead of a very unfulfilling cyber life. Maybe those who are 45 minutes away are just busy living life and haven't even noticed yet that someone new & fairly local has joined the group.

The groups I tend to be more active on are a mish mash of people from all over the world & from all walks of life.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM

They have talked on the groups occasionally since I joined, and I occasionally talk to them personally on Yahoo instant messenger. People are just so indecisive or indifferent to meeting in person. To top it all off, they would have to come to me since I have no car and 45 minutes one way just to hang out is a bit of a drive.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Wink

For those who feel in the middle of nowhere - have you considered Skype? If all of you are signed up on it, its use is free. For those of your family, friends and beloveds who are not wishing to sign up on it, you can have an account to use that is still much cheaper than standard long distance.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
For those who feel in the middle of nowhere - have you considered Skype? If all of you are signed up on it, its use is free. For those of your family, friends and beloveds who are not wishing to sign up on it, you can have an account to use that is still much cheaper than standard long distance.
Its free if it is skype to skype. So it is much cheaper than LD
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
We are also Skype users. It's a great option if you don't mind being tethered to your computer. For less than $3.00/mo you can have unlimited calling anywhere in North America. That allows you to call anyone even on their cell or landline. Downside is - YOU have to initiate the calls.

GS
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Hey GS,

support.skype.com/faq/FA331/What-is-an-Online-Number

You can buy a number through skype that is callable now

Last edited by AutumnalTone; 11-13-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Removed link from commercial URL
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM

I wanna Skype, but I can't download a webcam or anything on school computers.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestsandFullMoons View Post
... If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.
What school are you attending in Springfield? I no longer visit Springfield for work (changed jobs), though an occasional visit isn't out of the question.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Hey GS,

support.skype.com/faq/FA331/What-is-an-Online-Number

You can buy a number through skype that is callable now
Yep, true Ari.
But same issue in general - at least as I last understood it. The incoming 'ring' comes to your computer - so still tethered/dependent.
Unless................
I know there are also 'Skype' IP phones and last I looked the prices weren't astronomical but still beyond maybe what a lot of people are willing to cough up.

The whole VOIP thing is still evolving and is likely where we'll all end up before long. Good bye to landlines - which I have a lot of mixed feeling about. If you look back, the good old phone system has probably been the most trusted & reliable piece of technology invented since the wheel

GS